Page 1 of 2
Well if you use the right one, no problem. Get the one with the right voltage and all those tech stuff, as long as its putting the right amount of electricity in the pedal who cares what brand you use.
Jem 7dbk
Ibanez s540 custom
Ibanez RG570
Ibanez RG520
Ibanez Roadstar II RG410
Ibanez Destroyer II 80's
Schecter C-1 Blackjack
Gibson LP Studio Lite
Fender Start MIM
Kramer Sustainer
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Peavey XXX 40W
Vox DA5
marketing gimmick.

any 9v with the correct polarity (- inside +on the outside i think) that supplies enough amperes (250 milliamperes minimumi think) will work fine.
Jackson DKMG MIJ
Agile Al-3000
MXR Super Comp
Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
Crybaby
MXR 10 band EQ
Crate 120 watt ss
As long as the voltage matches up, 9v DC pedal with a 9v DC power supply, you will be fine.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Get a 1SPOT it works for liek everything and you can buy the adapter to put it on liek 5 - 12 pedals at once as long as you don't need more tham 1700 milliamps, I had teh saem trouble with stupid BOSS pedals you can get any adapter that says its compatabile with the PA5 or whatever it is they say you need.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
I've used a boss power supply with a digitech pedal even though the manual says to only use a digitech power supply, and nothing wrong has happened. It's probably a gimmick.
I was just going to suggest the 1spot but i see the guy above already did, its great and cheap just buy the multi plug and you for about 30 bucks you can power 9 or 10 pedals its great.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey XXX 60 watt combo
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer

Quote by Twist of fate
You're not racist, only black people are.

Quote by clincher09
Ah yes, you have a condition that many guys live with and are affected by everyday. It's called a penis.
its just i have a gig tomorrow and want to use my Boss DF-2, I don't have a BOSS power supply, but have a regular one...you know that has all the different voltages?

would I be alright using it do you reckon?
Every power supply is different. You've not only looking for a power supply with the same voltage as what's written on your pedal or written in the manual, but it also needs to have the same polarity and I believe the same current as well. Just because the plugs look the same does not mean it will work properly. I incorrectly assumed this with a power supply for a cordless phone one time and the phone ended up emitting a puff of smoke and never worked again thereafter.

Safer to use the boss but if you happen to have one with the same three characteristics (voltage, current, polarity) go for it.
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
-Kurt Vonnegut
ah **** it i'll risk it for a biscuit

long as i dont melt or explode or anythin

cheers people
Quote by SkateEmerica987
I was just going to suggest the 1spot but i see the guy above already did, its great and cheap just buy the multi plug and you for about 30 bucks you can power 9 or 10 pedals its great.

$30 damn, I got a DC Brick, which cost like $100, but it's bulit like a brick at least, so it'll last.
It should work fine, but of note is that BOSS probably won't want to hear from you if the pedal screwed up.
I bought a "uniross" generic power supply unit from argos donkeys years ago, one of those ones where you set the polarity and voltage on an adjustable dial. All I did was cut off the connector and soldered on a butchered boss power supply cable, one of those ones with several connectors on it.

It cost peanuts and its still working now (just dug it out cos I've just started playing again), it powers my boss, pearl and marshall effects.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
I have a BOSS pedal and it wont work off the multi voltage adapter I have. Doesnt even light up. The adapter works my other pedals but not the boss. My 1spot powers it tho. I know BOSS has a thing that they refuse to warranty a pedal if you dont use their overpriced adapter. So the answer is maybe it will work maybe not.
If you don't use the Boss adapter, the entire world will explode!

Nah, just kidding, you should be fine. Just unplug it if it starts smoking...

Because second hand smoke is bad for you!
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I think it will work but ya know who I realy hate out of these companys is line 6 there DL-4 doesn't work with my brick thank god my digitech rp 200 power supply works with it.
I knew it would be good for something someday.
Amp-5150 Block Letter

Cab-Recto 4x12

Guitar-Jackson DKMG

Pedals-to many to name
There are three parameters to a power supply: the voltage, the current, and the polarity.

Voltage has to MATCH. If your pedal needs 9V DC, the supply needs to give 9V DC; anything different will not work. 9V AC is not the same thing; 8.5V DC is not the same thing. Etc. The polarity also needs to match! The plug, even though you can't see it readily, has a positive (+) and negative (-) side. And depending on how the pedal's circuit is setup will determine the type of polarity it needs. They need to match up!

Lastly... your current does not have to match! The power supply has to supply at least as much as the pedal needs, or more! Your typical pedal requires ~250mA... as long as your supply can supply 250mA, you are good (this is an example figure). So if you have a pedal that needs 305mA... a supply that's rated at 280mA will not work; one rated at 320mA will work; one at 580mA will work; one at 1.5A will work; etc. You can supply way more current than is needed, it just has to be more than the pedal needs.

Aside from that... the specifications in the manual's about using only this power supply is not entirely true, but it is not a marketing gimmick. This is an easy "disclaimer"... because your typical user won't understand the difference between power supplies to know what types of supplies are and are not suitable... so it is much easier to say across the board "only use our supplies".
Quote by CyBerAliEn
There are three parameters to a power supply: the voltage, the current, and the polarity.

Voltage has to MATCH. If your pedal needs 9V DC, the supply needs to give 9V DC; anything different will not work. 9V AC is not the same thing; 8.5V DC is not the same thing. Etc.

Most new batteries will give you +/- 10v; and nearly all pedals will still easily work at half that voltage (but it may change the tone). My 9v adapter puts out 12v, so that's what I use on my 9v pedals. They all still work.
I've used multi voltage adapters and my dano adapters all with no issues
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
yeah i have a zoom adaptor from years ago and use it with my Boss DD2..... I was a bit apprehensive that the world would end if I combined a Zoom adaptor with a Boss pedal, but thankfully it worked out ok.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I use a 9V, 400mA adapter that I bought from Maplins to power my Boss pedals. Used it for around 3 or 4 years with no bother.
...Bleep Bloop...
if you dont use the boss one, the CEO of bos gets one less porche.....can you live with that?
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Most new batteries will give you +/- 10v; and nearly all pedals will still easily work at half that voltage (but it may change the tone). My 9v adapter puts out 12v, so that's what I use on my 9v pedals. They all still work.

But you want to run your pedals at their designed voltage. They are made a way for a reason. If the voltage difference is significantly greater than the pedal's circuit is designed for, you will fry/destroy component's on the board. If the pedal says "9V DC" you want to give it 9V DC... anything more and you start running the risk of trashing your pedal. (if the voltage didn't really matter, you wouldn't have to use a transformer, ie "your power supply", to drop your socket's 120V power supply)
hey. i tried to plug in 12v ac to my Boss Metal Zone (mt-2) because my 9v adapter is dead. I plugged it in and my amp started to hiss a bit more than usual. Is this ok? and what if i continuing to power my 9v pedal with a 12v adapter? will it kill the pedal?
Quote by CyBerAliEn

Lastly... your current does not have to match! The power supply has to supply at least as much as the pedal needs, or more! Your typical pedal requires ~250mA... as long as your supply can supply 250mA, you are good (this is an example figure). So if you have a pedal that needs 305mA... a supply that's rated at 280mA will not work; one rated at 320mA will work; one at 580mA will work; one at 1.5A will work; etc. You can supply way more current than is needed, it just has to be more than the pedal needs.

wrong, if you have more mA, you'll get this annoying buzz.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by zeemonkey
hey. i tried to plug in 12v ac to my Boss Metal Zone (mt-2) because my 9v adapter is dead. I plugged it in and my amp started to hiss a bit more than usual. Is this ok? and what if i continuing to power my 9v pedal with a 12v adapter? will it kill the pedal?

I suggest you just get a 9v adapter, it might not blow the pedal - but then again it might. It depends on the parts used on the pedal, so I suggest you play it safe and get a 9v adapter.
Quote by l3p4rd

Umm, no, the pedal will only take as much mA as it needs, no matter how much the power supply can supply.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Yes and no. You need to make sure the ground is negative inside, positive on the outside. Most houshold 9v devices use the inverse, however.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
The pedal will only draw as much current as it needs but a cheap crappy unstable supply may induce hum or buzz.
yeah!!....i have noticed that my pedals dont work as good once ya let the smoke out of them!!!!

but seriously folks!! ...(rim shot)

like someone else already stated,...it's the mA. thats most important,..as in you want to have enough,...i would get a 9v power supply for my pedals...but a 12v would probably be ok as long as the mA. are enough.

i have a boss ns-2 that requires it's own one-spot..(wont work right daisy chained..yet it's supposed to be good up to 1700 mA.) ...go figure.

electricity in a wire is like water in a pipe.
voltage is the pressure
amperage is the amount

thats why they say,..it isnt the voltage that kills ya...its the amperage!

<---electrician---
Quote by shigidab0p
It should work fine, but of note is that BOSS probably won't want to hear from you if the pedal screwed up.

This is why they tell you to use their own power supply. If you go on evilbay, but a $0.99 2amp 9v power supply, put it on your boss pedals, and the ****tiness of the adaptor blows your pedal, boss won't cover it.

Quote by l3p4rd

This is false. Hum and buzz comes from bad, or weak ground connections in your power outlet, guitar, pedals, and so forth. I use a onespot with 4 pedals, totalling less than 800 mah, while the 1spot puts out 1.5 A
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
then it might have been coincidence that I grounded a few power supplies and the ones with too much mA would get buzzing
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
if you don't use the power supply, somewhere in a third world country, a bomb blows up a village

Washburn WI26 Trohman Sig Model
Fender Thinline Deluxe Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100 with KT77's
Modded 5150 Cab with Celestion GT-75s
Monster Cables
The Boss PSA is the standard and can be used with other brands of pedals.
Just don't use an adapter that is more than 9 volts or 250 mili amps
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
The Boss PSA is the standard and can be used with other brands of pedals.
Just don't use an adapter that is more than 9 volts or 250 mili amps

Why not? I understand the volts but the current doesn't matter (as long as there's enough).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by shaakaal
marketing gimmick.

any 9v with the correct polarity (- inside +on the outside i think) that supplies enough amperes (250 milliamperes minimumi think) will work fine.

This^

Quote by MedicreDemon
Get a 1SPOT it works for liek everything and you can buy the adapter to put it on liek 5 - 12 pedals at once as long as you don't need more tham 1700 milliamps, I had teh saem trouble with stupid BOSS pedals you can get any adapter that says its compatabile with the PA5 or whatever it is they say you need.

(Invalid img)

Sorry.. just wanted to use that, seemed appropriate..
Member of the Bugera Users Militia

Quote by JagerSlushy
Go with Ibanez...Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Page 1 of 2