Page 1 of 3
Well, it's not very uncommon to hear an atheist's thoughts on theism. but I always ondered this:

(To atheists) What do you guys think of agnosticism, and why do you choose not to be an agnostic?

I'm sure all of you know what agnosticism is, but here's the exact definition from www.dictionary.com:

ag·nos·tic Audio Help [ag-nos-tik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

–adjective
3. of or pertaining to agnostics or agnosticism.
4. asserting the uncertainty of all claims to knowledge.

If you think this thread shouldn't be here, post why and I'll delete it if I find it appropriate.
Don't care, they can believe whatever they want. They are essentially atheists anyway, and most agnostics I've heard tend to lean towards atheism.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
I tend to see myself as agnostic-to-slightly religious. It's obvious to me that the existence of god or a god is in fact unknowable and is only a faith based notion. You will not know for sure until you die really. I say slightly religious because I just have some weird sense that there is something beyond this world that set everything in motion. I will under no circumstances try and prove it, though, since you can't prove it.
I'm agnostic, so I'll answer iversely.
I choose agnosticism over atheism because I think there might be some kind of higher power. And I don't completely denounce God, I just want more proof before I say I believe.

Though, I don't know why I believe there might be, maybe since I lived with my Christian aunt when I was younger...
i choose not to be agnostic because i feel too strongly about repudiating religion
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Personally I consider myself an Agnostic. I don't see the point of denying something you can't prove is real one way or the other, i.e. a Divine entity.

On the other hand I'm not about to believe in a Divinity that refuses to prove it's own existence either. I don't believe in blind faith in other words.
i don't have a problem with anyones beleifs, as long as they aren't promoting theirs and bashing everyone elses. I lately had an epiphany(drug related) about the origion of life, and how religion all developed. it would take me hours to explian it all, but the nice thing is, to me, i am right about it without a doubt. i know to probably everyone else im wrong, but i't doesn't matter to me because it's given me such happiness.
Quote by The Madcap
Well, it's not very uncommon to hear an atheist's thoughts on theism. but I always ondered this:

(To atheists) What do you guys think of agnosticism, and why do you choose not to be an agnostic?

I'm sure all of you know what agnosticism is, but here's the exact definition from www.dictionary.com:

–noun
1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.
2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

–adjective
3. of or pertaining to agnostics or agnosticism.
4. asserting the uncertainty of all claims to knowledge.

If you think this thread shouldn't be here, post why and I'll delete it if I find it appropriate.

Ok, my logic goes like this;

There is no evidence for the existence of god or gods. This is a fact.
We do not believe in things without evidence.

Now, technically speaking I am an agnostic because it is logically impossible to prove the non-existence of anything (it cannot be done, I'm sure you can see why if you write it out for your self).

So, technically i'm an agnostic, however, whilst I hold that proving god doesn't exist is impossible by it's nature, it is INCREDIBLY unliekly, so...for all practical terms I am an atheist.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I'm somewhat agnostic, but after reading some Voltaire, I've recently been turning to Deism. For those who don't know, Deism is basically the concept that God was the one that started off the big bang, and then kind of stepped back and disappeared. Personally, the idea of a personal God seems irrational to me.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
I'm agnostic because Religion is something that nobody can prove with scientific fact.
Atheism, to me, is a cop out. If you're gonna be atheist, just cast off religion in general, don't call yourself an atheist.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

In my opinion, agnostics are too neutral, they're all "maybe" this and "maybe" that, and too much neutrality is unhealthy....
according to stephen colbert agnostics are just atheists without balls...i abide to that philosophy
ive been an atheist for a long time, and i've always looked down on agnosticism, because i've always viewed agnostics are either skeptical theists, or cowardly atheists.

but i also have quite a bit of buddhism in my thinking, in the way that if i TRULY dont believe in a god, there is no way it can exist. same goes for heaven, hell, miracles. if there was definitive proof of a divine god, i would believe, whether i like it or not (proof is proof), turning me into a theist.
if somebody truly believes there is a god, well for them, then it is as every bit as real as this computer is to me, because they truly believe, making it a reality.
Ibanez S520ex
Epiphone G-400
Roland Microcube
Alvarez MC90
i dont really care about agnostics. the only reason i dislike theists so much is because they have such a large effect on us, and push their beliefs where they should not be. agnots have no power, so dont matter to me. that said, its a weak position.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by whosamerica
so basically agnosticism is believing that you're undecided.

haha yeah it pretty much is
Quote by Fusanti_RHCP
I have had no problems. Mostly because I am Jesus.
Agnosticism is NOT being 'undecided'.

Agnosticism is the positive assertion that humans can not have knoweldge about a divine being.

That is the only decent philosophical definition
Quote by The Madcap
–noun

An atheist can apply to either of these definitions.
It's possible to be both atheist and agnostic.
Quote by whosamerica
so basically agnosticism is believing that you're undecided.
No. Atheists believe there is no god. Agnostics believe there's a chance there's a God, but are sceptical about the fact until someone shows them/us some hard proof in the matter.

It's more or less open minded atheism.
Quote by g.siddarth
I'm somewhat agnostic, but after reading some Voltaire, I've recently been turning to Deism. For those who don't know, Deism is basically the concept that God was the one that started off the big bang, and then kind of stepped back and disappeared. Personally, the idea of a personal God seems irrational to me.

Ah! Deism. That is what I am I guess, based on my belief that some preexisting force (call it a god, or whatever) started the life process. Either way, god or no, something has always been in existence, or something came from nothing.
according to stephen colbert agnostics are just atheists without balls...i abide to that philosophy

+1. I like that.
I guess that most people i know are more religious, yet slightly agnostic. I kind of am, because i can't prove God's existence, but i have my faith.

Also, my faith lies in 2 things:
The fact that i was raise catholic and, because of human nature, it will be very hard to change my opinion on such a strong subject; and

That the existence of God lies in the chain of events that led us to evolve. There is almost no chance that we should be here.
I might be a bit agnostic. I think there might be a god, but about as much chance of there being a christian god as there being a tapeworm god or maybe one of my pubic hairs being god. I'm a bit nihilistic and a bit agnostic I guess, even though they are both pretty much the opposites of atheism.

Honestly, I don't care. If god showed up to me in physical form and proved it, I still wouldn't worship him/her or give a damn. I'm just anti-religious.
Quote by impeachpedro10
ive been an atheist for a long time, and i've always looked down on agnosticism, because i've always viewed agnostics are either skeptical theists, or cowardly atheists.
I think that comes from this bad idea that agnosticism is the "middle ground" between theism and atheism. I really consider is a belief completely different from theism and atheism, and by no means do I think they're cowards for refusing to completely deny the existence of God or Gods.
Last edited by The Madcap at Apr 24, 2008,
Logically, I can not see how a higher power is feasible. However, I have not completely ruled out the existence of such a being, as its very concept would exist outside of logic.

Thus, while I am an atheist, I'd consider myself agnostic, as well.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
agnosticism isn't totally about denouncing a higher power. I'm agnostic, and I think you can't denounce a divine power because you never know, there might actually be an all-powerful person such as God, Buddha, Krishna, etc. However, you also can't be too sure, because humans have absolutely no knowledge of anything what-so-ever and, since religions were made WAAAAAAAY long ago, they must've been reeeaaaally exagerated. Through the passing of stories. Also, to followers of religions, I don't have anything against you, but when you show me a text or artifact directly related to a higher power, all I have to say is it was a story-teller who wanted to enhance his tellings with a prop. But yeah, that's all I have to say right now.
He's even posted the definition in the first post and people are STILL getting it wrong.

Agnosticism in religion is the assertion that you cannot have knowledge either way when it comes to 'is there a god?'.
Quote by meh!
Ok, my logic goes like this;

There is no evidence for the existence of god or gods. This is a fact.
We do not believe in things without evidence.

Now, technically speaking I am an agnostic because it is logically impossible to prove the non-existence of anything (it cannot be done, I'm sure you can see why if you write it out for your self).

So, technically i'm an agnostic, however, whilst I hold that proving god doesn't exist is impossible by it's nature, it is INCREDIBLY unliekly, so...for all practical terms I am an atheist.

This and this exactly
Quote by saxaxe
YESI love you.

Quote by Wulphy
Ever stuck their finger in their ass, just to see what it was like? I did

Quote by thewho65
My sister has a big ass
Quote by The Madcap
I think that comes from this bad idea that agnosticism is the "middle ground" between theism and atheism. I really consider is a belief completely different from theism and atheism, and by no means do I think they're cowards for denying the existence of God or Gods.

Yea it's not that they are cowardly, they just don't pretend to know what is unknowable.

Like I said, this kind of thing is a faith based notion, not a knowledge based one.
Quote by meh!
the positive assertion that humans can not have knoweldge about a divine being.

essentially.... undecided. thats like saying. "yeah... obama could win, or hilary could win, since theres a chance of either im just not gonna vote."
I choose not be an agnostic, because I firmly deny the existence of God or any other form of deity, it's as simple as that. Although, that doesn't mean I am sure God doesn't exist, and I still acknowledge the fact that his existence possible, so if you wanted to really push it, you could classify me as an agnostic with strong atheistic leanings.
I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the whole religion scale right now. I believe there is a higher being, but I don't completely believe the bible. I think it was written as a guide to live your life the way god wants you to, but I'm not so sure about some of the things in the bible, like the world being created in seven days or a virgin having a child. So basically I think I believe the bible is sort of a metaphor.

So I guess I'm about 75% Christian, 25% Agnostic.
im atheist and not agnostic because agnostics are just undecided. i never give god a second thought. I focus on music, look to some religion for inspiration but that is all. there is no god. There is no god because humans created the idea just to make them feel more important.

HUMANS are the most important. Not the animals or Earth, but humans. This idea has killed billions of people throughout history and will continue. Even people who believe in the same god kill themselves, Jews Muslims and Christians. People think they are the center of the universe and that humans only go to heaven they are the only intelligent life in the universe.

We study animals and we compare their intelligence to ourselves. Atheists give up god and just live their life and not worry about the afterlife. Religion was needed ages ago when we had no knowledge and we need to move on. Agnosticism does not work for me
If you keep looking for a God youre going to want it to show up. Until one can be sure theres no need of it to cloud the scientific community.
Quote by whosamerica
essentially.... undecided. thats like saying. "yeah... obama could win, or hilary could win, since theres a chance of either im just not gonna vote."

No, not 'undecided' they HAVE decided.

Atheists have decided god doesn't exist.
Theists have decided god doesn't exist.
Agnostics have decided that we cannot know and that we can never know.

They have, in fact, decided that it is impossible to decide like the atheists/theists have.

You're analogy is flawed and not relvenat
I choose not to become part of a church not because I don't beleive in 'a god', but because I beleive that the only good parts of churches have absolutely NOTHING to do with god or that guy on the cross.
Quote by whosamerica
Well, a vote is power to change or at least influence the outcome, although very little, it still is some power. Do agnostics believe they have the power to change or influence the outcome on whether or not a God or Gods exist? I don't think that's a very good metaphor...
Quote by meh!
No, not 'undecided' they HAVE decided.

Atheists have decided god doesn't exist.
Theists have decided god doesn't exist.
Agnostics have decided that we cannot know and that we can never know.

They have, in fact, decided that it is impossible to decide like the atheists/theists have.

You're analogy is flawed and not relvenat

YOU'RE not relvenat!
Agnostics are simply atheist who are slightly more open to the idea that it (a supreme deity, or something of the like) COULD be true and are willing to be shown proof and consider it. Atheist are more set in their beliefs. I myself am borderline between the two.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by IcePh0enix
I'm not exactly sure where I stand on the whole religion scale right now. I believe there is a higher being, but I don't completely believe the bible. I think it was written as a guide to live your life the way god wants you to, but I'm not so sure about some of the things in the bible, like the world being created in seven days or a virgin having a child. So basically I think I believe the bible is sort of a metaphor.

So I guess I'm about 75% Christian, 25% Agnostic.

You know you can get pregnant without actually having intercourse right?

Then again, I still think the bible was written when people had a little to much to drink imo. What Jesus disciples drank most was wine, and often, since the water at this time in history lacked ways to be purified.
Page 1 of 3