Page 1 of 2
Alright, so my friend, who I jam alot with, is better than me now. He practiced alot more than me because I just broke my WoW addiction and I'm trying to catch up... Whenever I'm over, he plays Eruption by Van Halen. When I got a new guitar, he took it and played Eruption. Whenever I see him, he plays Eruption. WHEN WE GO TO PARTIES HE TAKES HIS GUITAR AND PLAYS ERUPTION. I'm getting sick of it.

If we're ever gonna make it big, I need to know:

1. How to deal with it.

2. How to get better than him.

3. Some songs that'll make him sit down and know his place.

I seriously need some help or else he's gonna be playing Eruption in hell.
1. Shrug it off. So what?
2. Practise? Get lessons.
3. No. Giving you songs would pretty much stop you from learning how to properly "deal with it."
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Practice more than him, or play Eruption at 2x the speed.

Blitzkrieg (sp?) by Yngwie Malmsteen? It's very hard, but owns Eruption in terms of shredding.
Quote by lotsofvolume
Practice more than him, or play Eruption at 2x the speed.

Blitzkrieg (sp?) by Yngwie Malmsteen? It's very hard, but owns Eruption in terms of shredding.

Come to think of it, next time your friend plays Eruption, just erupt onto his guitar strings, if you know what I mean.

Then when he's changing them, drop artillery on his house and crush it with a tank.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
1. Shut up

2. Don't play computer games and practice.

3. Eruption... half a step flat or sharp and play it in sync when he does it. That'd annoy me enough!
I've got an even better idea now! Tell him to ditch the guitar and challenge him to a WoW duel.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
hes better than you. shut up.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Jesus Juice
Break all of his fingers

this man speaks the truth.....

*in a mob boss tone* and make it look like an accident will ya....
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
Quote by jetfuel495
learn something cooler than eruption. that song is overrated anyways.

I'm pretty sure that it was just a warm up exersize that someone heard and liked and made him put it on the album.

Don't quote me on that though...
Well done for breaking your WoW addiction. What you have to do is actually tell him to shut up and stop plating it all the time. Also, start practicing heaps so you can put him in his place with some mad sweep tapped arps.
Quote by Zugunruhe
hes better than you. shut up.

Well no ****, Shirley. Next time you open your mouth, your knees better be at my ankles.

Oh and congratulations, you win the award for ****tiest reply of the day.

Thanks for the help guys, from your advice I should "fap" and "erupt" onto his guitar strings whilst I play Cowboys from Hell at 2x the speed.
learn technical difficulties. actually learn some three note mainstream ass solo and all the stupid asses who are more impressed by something bull**** and catchy mainstream will love you.

then learn something more technical and only play it around your friend to own him because ppl like i mentioned before usually hate things that sound technical and tell you you suck and to stop playing that because its not good.

has this happened to anyone else? lol glad i got that partially out but it is true. i played three chords at jazz band practice for school and people came from the other room screaming MORE THAN A FEELING!!(sweet song tho i love boston and all classic rock but thats beside the point) then i played a lil bit of technical difficulties and scarified(not the solos yet sadly but the main part) and people were like wtf is that an actuall song?
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Apr 24, 2008,
ur just annoyed with it all.
soon it will blow over and he will find an even better song to play and play that all the time too
I <3 Rock Mushik
People consider Eruption a song?

People who don't play guitar do, and thats whats pissing him off.
heres how it works:

hes playing eruption, therefore, he has a small penis.

just show him yo-

oh, wait. did you say you were playing world of warcraft? nevermind then.

buy a hummer.
I have no opinion on this matter.
tell him to do Improv. I had a friend like that, he practiced one whole song alot and got really good at so I figured he must ACTUALLY be practicing, then I asked him to make something up using G Dorian.

He had no idea what he was doing so I told him to play a couple blues riffs, he couldn't.

Just try that, knowing how to cover songs does not mean you are good at guitar, it just means you are a robot who does exactly what a peice of paper tells it to.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Just practice, and don't dwell on the fact that he's better. If you're upset about it, it's your own fault, do what you can to catch up and don't let your jealousy (because that's what it is) get the best of you.
Honestly what I think is that you shouldn't be trying to be better than him. If you're in a band it shouldn't really be a contest of who's better, it's about how well you two play together.

But if you MUST do something better than him, I'd go with the suggestion of playing "Eruption" a half step down or up. That would be pretty annoying.

Or you could just play random junk when he plays it. That would also be pretty annoying. When he starts just play some power chords or random notes that don't make sense or sound good together. He'll probably stop, trust me.
Quote by fallenangel20
I found a tick on my balls once.

No lie. There was actually a tick (as in the small, blood sucking insect) on my balls.

It freaked me out bad.

Alright well thanks for the lovely advice all, especially Zugunruhe, that second post made me lol. I'm gonna go practice. Alot.
If you're playing for a teenage crowd who don't play guitar, just play the stairway to heaven solo. Will impress them more than Eruption, even though Eruption is a moderately more difficult song.
High as tits
1. Unzip pants
2. Begin to fap
3. Play "Eruption" in his face
4. ??????
5. Profit.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Quote by Dakkl
Alright well thanks for the lovely advice all, especially Zugunruhe, that second post made me lol. I'm gonna go practice. Alot.

Don't over do it, otherwise you'll regret doing that as much as you regretted playing that overrated piece of rubbish known as WoW instead of your guitar.
Quote by Teufel
Don't over do it, otherwise you'll regret doing that as much as you regretted playing that overrated piece of rubbish known as WoW instead of your guitar.

Yeah I regret playing WoW alot. But playing guitar is really overrated right now, especially since there tends to be a lot of douchebags with $400 guitars and amps and **** and they can only play Smells like Teen Spirit and Smoke on the Water.
Quote by Dakkl
Well no ****, Shirley. Next time you open your mouth, your knees better be at my ankles.

Oh and congratulations, you win the award for ****tiest reply of the day.

Thanks for the help guys, from your advice I should "fap" and "erupt" onto his guitar strings whilst I play Cowboys from Hell at 2x the speed.

welcome to the pit.

Quote by frnzd
Quote by gamebreaker
I think semen would be our biggest export...
We'd build an industry around it.

Play "Texas Flood" by SRV.

/thread.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Dakkl
Yeah I regret playing WoW alot. But playing guitar is really overrated right now, especially since there tends to be a lot of douchebags with $400 guitars and amps and **** and they can only play Smells like Teen Spirit and Smoke on the Water.

Playing guitar shouldn't be considered overrated. It should be considered an accomplishment, the instrument a gift, the music a symphony of pure brilliance.

Because of incompetent douche bags one shouldn't be discouraged.
Just learn to play eruption and play it whenever he plays, then he will play something else to be better than you and etc

Just let him be, he isn't doing much harm.... Is he?
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
Page 1 of 2