Yes its true. And no im not one of those pompous asses that thinks they're going to master bass because they play guitar and guitar has more strings.

But im looking for a decent[maybe good] starter bass and amp to suit my needs.

I will be playing mostly harder stuff like metal but im also open to playing more heartfelt, "funky" kind of music.

Price range is roughly no more than 300 American for the bass and also 300 American for the amp. So no more than 600 total.
Call me Trey.
Peavey Millenium BXP (or BXP AC if it's in your range) and Fender Rumble 60w. That right there will do all you need it to for a while, while you're still figuring out the awesomeness of bass.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Did you read the FAQ stickied to the top of the page? Many good starter bass/amp recommendations. Be sure you play at a shop before buying to see what feels good. It's kinda like buying a wand in Harry Potter.
If you are going to be gigging, then you have a rough budget. I would advise getting a used Ashdown MAG combo, a Carvin combo, or perhaps a Fender Bassman. However much the amp costs will leave you with a budget for the bass. A used MIM Fender or a Squier VM bass will do if you like the feel. I personally have not played one, but an SX might do also (inb4kransocorp).
Quote by IndianRockStar
If you are going to be gigging, then you have a rough budget. I would advise getting a used Ashdown MAG combo, a Carvin combo, or perhaps a Fender Bassman. However much the amp costs will leave you with a budget for the bass. A used MIM Fender or a Squier VM bass will do if you like the feel. I personally have not played one, but an SX might do also (inb4kransocorp).

i just plan on practicing for a while so a good practice amp is what im looking for..
Call me Trey.
welcome to UG Bass. as mentioned, read the FAQ, it has some good info.
i personally would spend around $100 to $150 for a used Ibanez, Peavey, or Yamaha, and the rest of your cash, on the best used bass amp you can find.
Ampeg, Ashdown, GK, Hartke, Peavey, SWR, or, Trace-Elliot. i would also recommend trying for at least 100w, and at least a 15" speaker. if you live in the US, used is your best bet. more bang for the buck, imo.
Quote by Mudvayne_LP
i just plan on practicing for a while so a good practice amp is what im looking for..

even if you're just going to be practicing, it would be nice to have the amp for gigging or jamming in the future. that means around 2-250 watts. this way you won't have to go shopping around for an amp if you have a gig.

regardless of the wattage you end up getting, i would spend more on the amp than the bass. I bad bass will sound good through a good amp, but a great bass will still probably sound like crap through a a crappy amp.

with the $600 you have, i would, like indian said, go with a nice used amp probably for around $400. Going used you can get a lot of gig ready amps that are great in that price range. Then you have about $200 left for the bass, where you can get an ibanez gsr 200, or a squier, yamaha... any of the beginner basses in the FAQ really.

trust me, if you spend more on the amp, you will be incredibly happy.
And no im not one of those pompous asses that thinks they're going to master bass because they play guitar and guitar has more strings
All my basses have six strings except one, that has seven. I don't (yet) own a 7-string guitar. The number of strings doesn't really matter. What matters is, how can you use whatever you're playing to make the music sound the very best it can?
Quote by MustangMan311
Though you're a beginner, I suggest you look at a five string bass. You're into metal, and you play guitar, so I doubt an extra string will hurt. It would be like a seventh string on a guitar. Don't shut that range out!

yeah i was considering one of the 5 strings mentioned above.
Call me Trey.