Page 1 of 2
Alright I did a search and I realized there was no thread dedicated to the discussion of classical music in general. I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, but the only other place I could think of would be classical guitar and I don't want this to be a classical GUITAR thread. If this is the wrong place tell me and I'll delete it.

I know there are some classical music fans on here.

I'm not really sure what to say...ummmmm....

What composers/orchestras/players have you been getting into lately?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Well, my favs in symphonic music are: Dvorak, Sibelius, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Prokofiev and more that i'm not in the mind to remember right now: piano : Chopin, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev
Beethoven, Vivaldi, and Mozart.

and for Baroque, Bach.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Travlembo
Well, my favs in symphonic music are: Dvorak, Sibelius, Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Prokofiev and more that i'm not in the mind to remember right now: piano : Chopin, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev

Dvorak's one of my favorites. He was my first classical CD.

I've really been getting into atonal music though. Anyone listen to Stravinsky?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Isn't there a whole forum dedicated to classical music?
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
i find paganini fascinating. i'm learning his 5th caprice on guitar, it's wicked
you told him to try to build bricks without straw
he asked you to build cities without bricks
Quote by StrokeMidnight

I listen to a lot of Stravinsky... The Firebird is one of my favorites ever, as well as The Right of Spring ::: I've also been listening to a lot of his other stuff like Symphony for Wind Instruments...

Yeah, my girlfriend is a classical music major, and she got me into Stravinsky. I dig "The Rite of Spring". It sounds clicheed, but I've always enjoyed Beethoven and Mozart as well.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Favorite Piano Composer: Claude Debussy
Favorite Opera Composer: Claude Debussy
Favorite Orchestral Composer: Tie between Claude Debussy and Mozart
Favorite Guitar Composer: Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Favorite Violinist: Jascha Heifetz
Favorite Pianist: Evgeny Kissin and Marc-Andre Hamelin
Favorite Guitarist: John Williams
Favorite Baroque Composer: J.S. Bach
Favorite Classical Composer: Mozart
Favorite Romantic Composer: Tie between Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin
Favorite Impressionist Composer: Claude Debussy

Favorite Composer: Claude Debussy
I love Classical, but I don't listen to as much as I should. One person whom I just discovered recently and am growing quite fond of is Arvo Part Shostakovich, his music is very touching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtFPdBUl7XQ
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by StrokeMidnight
Should I delete this?

That one doesn't seem to be very on topic...

I don't know, I mean, ask a mod if it's OK

the one in the other section gets little traffic, it would be nice to have a more active classical thread, but at the same time, this is a thread probably better suited to the Band/Artists forum

your call, or ask someone about it
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by The Madcap
Favorite Piano Composer: Claude Debussy
Favorite Opera Composer: Claude Debussy

Favorite Orchestral Composer: Tie between Claude Debussy and Mozart
Favorite Guitar Composer: Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Favorite Violinist: Jascha Heifetz
Favorite Pianist: Evgeny Kissin and Marc-Andre Hamelin
Favorite Guitarist: John Williams
Favorite Baroque Composer: J.S. Bach
Favorite Classical Composer: Mozart
Favorite Romantic Composer: Tie between Franz Liszt and Frederic Chopin
Favorite Impressionist Composer: Claude Debussy

Favorite Composer: Claude Debussy

His music, is so colourful and nostalgic
Quote by Carswell98
I don't know, I mean, ask a mod if it's OK

the one in the other section gets little traffic, it would be nice to have a more active classical thread, but at the same time, this is a thread probably better suited to the Band/Artists forum

your call, or ask someone about it

I'll just leave it. I don't even know how to contact a mod. It'll probably die out soon anyway.
Quote by StrokeMidnight

everyone should listen to stravinsky
Quote by deluxity
everyone should listen to stravinsky

My friend at work strongly suggested for me to listen to Stravinsky. He is into abmient avant-garde type of music (as am I) and I'll glady listen when I'm at the music store. Any suggestions of his works I should first have a go at?
Quote by Muzikh
My friend at work strongly suggested for me to listen to Stravinsky. He is into abmient avant-garde type of music (as am I) and I'll glady listen when I'm at the music store. Any suggestions of his works I should first have a go at?

The Rite of Spring.

Even though I'm not into ballet at all and never want to, I did see one video on youtube that was the entire ballet of the Rite of Spring. I watched about 5 minutes, but it did help to visualize the piece. Look it up.

I personally like the Card Party myself. The Firebird Suite is terrific also.
As a kid, I hated classical music. It was boring. I didn't understand it. I played violin because my mommy made me.

But now, I'm really able to appreciate the beauty and culture of classical music. I regret all the years I spent half-assing on the violin, because I could be much better right now. Oh well. But yes, I love classical music, I've been in many orchestras, and I've been building up a solid repertoire. I'm also going to major in music composition so that I can contribute to the world of classical.

My all time favorite has to be Bach's solo violin sonatas and partitas. Bach's ability to transform a solo violin into an ensemble is ingenious.

Oh, and I want to say something that bugs me. It will come off as elitist and pretentious, but screw it, I don't care. I'll even underline the pretentious parts:

I get the impression that most rock fans listen to classical music with a superficial appreciation. Most listen for good melodies or with a resemblance to rock/metal. I've seen quite a few threads in which a metal fan asks for classical music that is "dark sounding and epic". Many guitarists claim they like classical just because Paganini wrote a few flashy caprices that can be translated onto the guitar. It's very shallow because these individuals aren't appreciating classical music for its true intentions. Now, don't get me wrong. Melody and ambiance aren't things to be disregarded in classical music. But classical music is so much more. It's about the dynamics, it's about the interactions between different instruments, it's about the forms, it's about the phrasings, it's about the musical symbolisms and motives that fill and develop a piece. I feel that a lot of rock/metal fans miss these crucial subtleties.

Now, one might argue that there is no certain requirement for listening to music, and that the listener makes the music whatever he wants it to be. While this is true, isn't it still a shame to miss the intended point? Is there no desire to understand something as it was meant to be understood?

So, if I come across as an elitist asshole, boohoo. Sue me.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 25, 2008,
I don't listen to all that much. I LOVE madrigal music, and I try to bootleg recordings or find them on the internet whenever I can. I sing in a lot of choirs, and we are always singing more or less "cliche" songs by Mozart and the like (I think I've sang at least 4 different songs by Mozart called "Gloria"), I'm not sure what you'd call modern choral music compositions (there are a lot of beautiful songs, but I can't really place them in any classical era and I'm a total nave on the subject), but I am a big fan.

Oh, and inb4 metal guitarists playing crappy covers of classic pieces with distorted electric guitars.
Quote by Xiaoxi
As a kid, I hated classical music. It was boring. I didn't understand it. I played violin because my mommy made me.

But now, I'm really able to appreciate the beauty and culture of classical music. I regret all the years I spent half-assing on the violin, because I could be much better right now. Oh well. But yes, I love classical music, I've been in many orchestras, and I've been building up a solid repertoire. I'm also going to major in music composition so that I can contribute to the world of classical.

My all time favorite has to be Bach's solo violin sonatas and partitas. Bach's ability to transform a solo violin into an ensemble is ingenious.

Oh, and I want to say something that bugs me. It will come off as elitist and pretentious, but screw it, I don't care. I'll even underline the pretentious parts:

I get the impression that most rock fans listen to classical music with a superficial appreciation. Most listen for good melodies or with a resemblance to rock/metal. I've seen quite a few threads in which a metal fan asks for classical music that is "dark sounding and epic". Many guitarists claim they like classical just because Paganini wrote a few flashy caprices that can be translated onto the guitar. It's very shallow because these individuals aren't appreciating classical music for its true intentions. Now, don't get me wrong. Melody and ambiance aren't things to be disregarded in classical music. But classical music is so much more. It's about the dynamics, it's about the interactions between different instruments, it's about the forms, it's about the phrasings, it's about the musical symbolisms and motives that fill and develop a piece. I feel that a lot of rock/metal fans miss these crucial subtleties.

Now, one might argue that there is no certain requirement for listening to music, and that the listener makes the music whatever he wants it to be. While this is true, isn't it still a shame to miss the intended point? Is there no desire to understand something as it was meant to be understood?

I love classical music because of the myriad of colours and images it creates in my mind. The timbres of the different instruments, the atmosphere, beautiful passages and atonal catastrophies! It gives me chills.

You didn't come off as elitist, it's just that the truth hurts sometimes.
Quote by CowboyUp
we are always singing more or less "cliche" songs by Mozart and the like (I think I've sang at least 4 different songs by Mozart called "Gloria")

You have to realize that most classical pieces don't have personal titles. Most titles refer to a form or purpose. In your case, a Gloria is the movement of a mass (choral composition for the purpose of liturgy and church.). Glorias are passages that praise God. So "Gloria" isn't a name, per se. It's an indication, as is with most titles of classical pieces.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Muzikh
I love classical music because of the myriad of colours and images it creates in my mind. The timbres of the different instruments, the atmosphere, beautiful passages and atonal catastrophies! It gives me chills.

Thank you. Yes, that's really the essence of classical music.

Although, technically, classical music isn't characterized by atonal catastrophies. Avante-garde and modern are, though.

Also, for everybody, check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLKXD_Ar5CM

Notice the commentary. That's how classical music was originally intended to be appreciated.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 25, 2008,
To Xiaoxi (didn't want to quote the whole thing), no you didn't come off as pretentious really. It's true that way too many metal guitarists just play the melodies. I wouldn't consider myself a metal guitarist at all, but it can be fun taking pieces like the little fugue in G minor and turning it into a rock song. However, I love listening to orchestral works too. Check out my other thread "Can you get high off music?" to see one of the many reasons why I listen to classical music.
Quote by Xiaoxi
You have to realize that most classical pieces don't have personal titles. Most titles refer to a form or purpose. In your case, a Gloria is the movement of a mass (choral composition for the purpose of liturgy and church.). Glorias are passages that praise God. So "Gloria" isn't a name, per se. It's an indication, as is with most titles of classical pieces.

I figured. I don't know much about classical music at all, really. I do pursue madrigal music because I love it so much, but pretty much all other classical music I hear is taught in the classroom or is found on accident. Every time I try to explore the genre I get pretty overwhelmed and give up (and revert to my "caveman music" )
Quote by Xiaoxi
Thank you. Yes, that's really the essence of classical music.

Although, technically, classical music isn't characterized by atonal catastrophies. Avante-garde and modern are, though.

Yes yes, I first got into the avant-garde from listening to Iannis Xenakis and Alexander Scriabin. I was inspired to write my first modern piece through Scriabin.
Last edited by Muzikh at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by CowboyUp
I figured. I don't know much about classical music at all, really. I do pursue madrigal music because I love it so much, but pretty much all other classical music I hear is taught in the classroom or is found on accident. Every time I try to explore the genre I get pretty overwhelmed and give up (and revert to my "caveman music" )

I can't blame you. If you're used to listening for a good melody line, classical music often fall short of that. A lot of classical-era music sounds the same, melodically; just switching from tonic and dominant over and over again with the same chord progressions on every piece, with the same major scale and arpeggio idioms. So why would you listen to it then? Because of all of the qualities I was talking about earlier. They're unique and different in every piece, and between every composer.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

I have to admit I am guilty of your rant man . But I really try to appreciate music like that, especially classical music, but sometimes I just can't. I've gotten better though, and sometimes I can listen to music like that.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by The Virtuoso
I have to admit I am guilty of your rant man . But I really try to appreciate music like that, especially classical music, but sometimes I just can't. I've gotten better though, and sometimes I can listen to music like that.

Well, I'm not trying to actively blame you or anyone else like what I was talking about. I came off as too critical, and even I was guilty of that. It took a while and I had to actively learn its culture to come to the realization. Be it good or bad, classical music is an intellectual music that requires background knowledge to appreciate it as it's intended. I don't want to make anyone feel like classical music is superior and that if one doesn't like or understand it, one is "caveman-like." I just think that if you listen to classical, it would be beneficial to really know what's going on with it to truly maximize your enjoyment.

Okay, hopefully that made sense.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Nope.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
As far as classical music goes, I'm getting quite into listening to piano concertos and the like. Listened to a Debussy Sarabande just yesterday which blew me away.
I think i'd agree with all the above in that to really realise the beauty and complexities of classical music, you need to have maturity and experience...
Unfortunately two qualities not particularly plentiful in the generations of today.
Its times like these you learn to live again. If you even knew in the first place.
Favs are Tchaikovsky and Chopin.

I used to be a Bach and Beethoven fan though when I was younger playing the piano.
1. Edward Elgar
2. Gustav Holst
3. Antonio Vivaldi

Ooh yea.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
1. Edward Elgar
2. Gustav Holst
3. Antonio Vivaldi

Ooh yea.

for whatever reason I find Vivaldi boring

I don't really know much about classical but, I'd say Stravinsky, Dvorak, and Rachmaninoff are my favorite

The New World Symphony, specifically the Largo movement, by Dvorak is one of my favorites
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Carswell98
for whatever reason I find Vivaldi boring

I don't really know much about classical but, I'd say Stravinsky, Dvorak, and Rachmaninoff are my favorite

The New World Symphony, specifically the Largo movement, by Dvorak is one of my favorites

Not heard much of the Russian composers unfortunatly, apart from Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky But I think Vivaldi's genius, he was one of the earliest composers

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Page 1 of 2