im lookin to improve my sound and ther are a few things im wondering.

some good tips on getting a good tone?

what exactly is coloration of tone? i hear it all the time and dont get what people are saying when they say it.

i know most people say that tube amps are the way to go, im starting to save up for a new amp seeing as my ss sucks nutz, looking at getting a x100b from carvin.
Quote by GuitarFreak1387
im lookin to improve my sound and ther are a few things im wondering.

some good tips on getting a good tone?

what exactly is coloration of tone? i hear it all the time and dont get what people are saying when they say it.

i know most people say that tube amps are the way to go, im starting to save up for a new amp seeing as my ss sucks nutz, looking at getting a x100b from carvin.

Tips: Work on your technique, tone is from fingers, the wallet just helps.

Colouration of tone is basically an alteration of tone. It won't be the same as it was before. Can be good or bad, it's really your preference.

Carvin is a top notch company and the X100B is an awesome mp for some classic rock and stuff of that nature. Check around eBay, the originals (not the reissues) usually sell for around 300-400.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Generally for good tone you want a nice responsive natural sounding amp (usually tube) with high quality speakers and only running true bypass effects. Coloration of tone is usually pedals changing the tone in a good or bad way, for example an TS-9 colors the tone of an fender amp in a way most people like.
Carvin kicks ass, ya might wanna look at the V3 too. You could probably grab one on ebay for 500ish. X100B is badass as well, just thowing a lil extra out there to consider.
so to get "good tone" you really have to do a number of things. you need to find a guitar that has the tonal quailities you want, you need to find an amp that gives you the sound you want, you need to find the right strings and even the right string guage, you need to try different picks, you need to work on technique and practice! all those other things i mentioned will only get you so far. if your technique isnt good, then amps, pedals etc... arent going to hide that. but if you have good technique, the amps and effects can help you fine tune your tone. you need a good base tone to build from.

what i think personally helps me is playing my electric unplugged a lot. imo, if i can get a good tone with just the guitar, and not with the amp and pickups and effects colouring my tone, then when i DO plug in i can fine tune my tone so i can make it that much better. i found this helped me anyway. because tone has a lot to do with how you play. like how you fret notes, how hard you pick, how you pick, where you pick, even the kind and thickness of the pick. the kind and thickness of the strings will change your tone as well.

so all in all, a good tube amp will help for sure. good pickups will help. good effects strings and picks will help. but they will only get you so far. good technique under these things is what really makes good tone. i said a good tube amp will help but ive never played any amp and had bad tone really. there were some things i didnt like about them yes but my sound was still there. tone is in your head and hands more than anything. all the other things just help fine tune it.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
so to get "good tone" you really have to do a number of things. you need to find a guitar that has the tonal quailities you want, you need to find an amp that gives you the sound you want, you need to find the right strings and even the right string guage, you need to try different picks, you need to work on technique and practice! all those other things i mentioned will only get you so far. if your technique isnt good, then amps, pedals etc... arent going to hide that. but if you have good technique, the amps and effects can help you fine tune your tone. you need a good base tone to build from.

what i think personally helps me is playing my electric unplugged a lot. imo, if i can get a good tone with just the guitar, and not with the amp and pickups and effects colouring my tone, then when i DO plug in i can fine tune my tone so i can make it that much better. i found this helped me anyway. because tone has a lot to do with how you play. like how you fret notes, how hard you pick, how you pick, where you pick, even the kind and thickness of the pick. the kind and thickness of the strings will change your tone as well.

so all in all, a good tube amp will help for sure. good pickups will help. good effects strings and picks will help. but they will only get you so far. good technique under these things is what really makes good tone. i said a good tube amp will help but ive never played any amp and had bad tone really. there were some things i didnt like about them yes but my sound was still there. tone is in your head and hands more than anything. all the other things just help fine tune it.

Well put.