Page 1 of 2
To the Australians and New Zealenders out there. Today, as you are well aware of, I am most certain is Anzac Day. On the 25th of April we remember the men who landed at Gallipoli in Turkey during the First World War. Over 8,000 Australian and 2,700 New Zealand soldiers died during the Allied campaign to fight for the freedoms we have today.

Today we remember those who fought and died in the Great War.

Lest we forget.
I can't believe I didn't post this thread. Lest We Forget. I'm going to be in the army for ANZAC Day next year. I can't wait.

For those that don't know, ANZAC stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I can't believe I didn't post this thread. Lest We Forget. I'm going to be in the army for ANZAC Day next year. I can't wait.

For those that don't know, ANZAC stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.

I've been feeling more and more like joining the Army lately, but I'm too young and unfit. And I don't know if they still use snipers.
Regardless of all that, Lest We Forget.
Call me a noob if you wish, but is ANZAC Day remembering those from just The Great War? Or is there one for WWII as well.

Side note, we have "Remembrance Day" on 14th November.

R.I.P

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
lest we forget
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by 3lusiv3
I've been feeling more and more like joining the Army lately, but I'm too young and unfit. And I don't know if they still use snipers.
Regardless of all that, Lest We Forget.

If my HSC isn't that high to get me into University, then I will join the infantry.
Quote by bassboy 999
If my HSC isn't that high to get me into University, then I will join the infantry.

You can do uni courses with the ADF. They pay for it, and because you're being trained/serving at the same time, you're being paid for it. So you've got a wage, and no hecs fees. I was going to do it, but all I'd do is a bachelor of science, which would basically limit me to engineering roles. Rifleman ftw.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
^^ ANZAC day is the anniversary of the gallipoli landing by ANZAC forces.

OK cheers.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by fretsonfire74
You can do uni courses with the ADF. They pay for it, and because you're being trained/serving at the same time, you're being paid for it. So you've got a wage, and no hecs fees. I was going to do it, but all I'd do is a bachelor of science, which would basically limit me to engineering roles. Rifleman ftw.

It's good. I always saw it as a sacred duty to the nation. What better nation is there than Australia to be proud of? This country is so god damn great and I'm infinitely proud of it and our history.
I got to march with my school 2day, did any1 else march?
I'm a douchebag and you should ignore what I say. Please pee on my face.

EDITED BY DREADNOUGHT
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Call me a noob if you wish, but is ANZAC Day remembering those from just The Great War? Or is there one for WWII as well.

Side note, we have "Remembrance Day" on 14th November.

R.I.P

Nah, it's for all veterans, it just happens to be on the anniversary of the Gallipoli landings. I always remember my Granddad, who passed away a few years ago, I wore his medals to the dawn service today.

I have to acknowledge Corporal Willie Apiata VC, New Zealand's latest Victoria Cross winner. For me he epitomises what a true hero should be - courageous, modest and humble. Have a look at the video on this page to see a brief clip of a reenactment of his VC winning act and to hear what a humble, down to earth guy he is. Pretty inspirational if you ask me.
http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/1743475
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRF1qHHxvVQ&feature=related

However, in saying that, anyone who has been to war is a hero. It's truly humbling knowing that people my age were willing to go to the other side of the world and give up their lives for what they believed in and to protect the way life, rights and freedoms that we hold so dear today.
Quote by WaterPour
Australians worry about themselves too much.
How about you piss off with your opinion? This is a thread dedicated to Anzac day. Anzac day is a big deal in Australia. It's one of our biggest traditions. (I assume it's the case in New Zealand as well). How about you respect that?
Sigs are overrated.
As far as I can tell. I'm the first NZ'er to post in this thread!

Anyway RIP.

Side note: Anyone else here recall having to do endless amounts of ANZAC day crap, which had no real educational value, in primary school? Goddamn that got repetitive.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Ahh cheers Kiwi

Cool story, he's donating his medal. Wow. I wouldn't donate a VC

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.

EDITED BY DREADNOUGHT
Last edited by WaterPour at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Ahh cheers Kiwi

Cool story, he's donating his medal. Wow. I wouldn't donate a VC

Yea, we've had trouble with relatives trying to sell off VCs (like Charles Upham's), Apiata has made it pretty clear that to him the medal is New Zealand's, not his, so it should always stay here. It's a great gesture!
Quote by dannyboy14
How about you piss off with your opinion? This is a thread dedicated to Anzac day. Anzac day is a big deal in Australia. It's one of our biggest traditions. (I assume it's the case in New Zealand as well). How about you respect that?

+1

I'm not a citizen, but I respect what the soldiers did for Australia. I live here and it's a wonderful place, much better than most other places around the world.

Lest We Forget.
Quote by ub3r_bassist666
As far as I can tell. I'm the first NZ'er to post in this thread!

Anyway RIP.

Side note: Anyone else here recall having to do endless amounts of ANZAC day crap, which had no real educational value, in primary school? Goddamn that got repetitive.

Actualy i liked doing that crap in primary school. That was one moth were we did jack **** and learn the same crap about some medic named simpson and we make the same ****ty wreathes.

Better than school.
Quote by WaterPour
Once you start worshipping the 3.3 million Russians anywhere the way you worship the Australians that were reading some map upside down that died in it I will revalue your opinion.

And I'm sure they have days commemorating the heroics of Russian soldiers in Russia. Map upside down? What are you on about?

My family members served in both wars, I have every right to commemorate their service, their sacrifices, and the sacrifices made by others in the name of my country. It's because of them that I live the life I do today, and I am thankful that I am not in the position they were in.

EDITED BY DREADNOUGHT
Last edited by WaterPour at Apr 25, 2008,
They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun,
And in the morning
We will remember them.
Lest we Forget
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
*reported WaterPour's posts*

Lest We Forget
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!

EDITED BY DREADNOUGHT
Quote by sebastian_96

Lest We Forget

I love you so much Sebastian.
Quote by WaterPour
What I was trying to say, unless you appreciate what everyone did, it's just stupid patriotic bull**** that you were taught in primary school. If you aren't an idiot and you do do that. Then I respect you. Otherwise you aren't doing it because "of all the horrible needless deaths."

I expect nearly every person with a grain of maturity recognises the significance and meaning of ANZAC day. Many of the lives lost were needless, especially in the First World War. An attack like Passchendaele or Gallipoli should have never gone ahead.
Quote by WaterPour
You're a mindless sheep.

On your way troll

Quote by bassboy 999
I love you so much Sebastian.

Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
The efforts of the Australians at the Western Front I find are sometimes overlooked. Australian troops were often the spearhead of British attacks, noted for their bravery and valour in combat. We lost more men to the machine guns and artillery fire in France and Belgium than anywhere else.

+ General Monash for the absolute win.
Last edited by bassboy 999 at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by WaterPour
Once you start worshipping the 3.3 million Russians anywhere the way you worship the 60,000 Australians that were reading some map upside down I will revalue your opinion.
Learn to think for yourself.

I respet anybody who's put their lives on the line in a war, whether they won, lost, lived or died. But we're Australian, it's a day to remember Australians in a war, not to remember the Russians. Please don't spoil this otherwise, really nice thread.

Quote by sebastian_96

Lest We Forget

Me too!

And T3gan, I love that poem, and the last post, it's one of my favourite pieces of music.
Quote by Kiwi Ace
I expect nearly every person with a grain of maturity recognises the significance and meaning of ANZAC day. Many of the lives lost were needless, especially in the First World War. An attack like Passchendaele or Gallipoli should have never gone ahead.

well said

RIP all the soldiers who gave up their lives
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
Quote by fretsonfire74
I respet anybody who's put their lives on the line in a war, whether they won, lost, lived or died. But we're Australian, it's a day to remember Australians in a war, not to remember the Russians. Please don't spoil this otherwise, really nice thread.

Me too!

And T3gan, I love that poem, and the last post, it's one of my favourite pieces of music.

+1 to love of the Ode

I always get shivers when I hear the Last Post. And I get to play it for the next 2 years on appropriate days at my school.
Quote by fretsonfire74

Yeah, it's so pretty... Or something.
If I ever needed an alarm, I'd want that to be it. It would be great to wake up to.
Quote by metacarpi
t3gan? Coming to the UK?

*smooths mair and straightens shirt*

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
t3gan and Bec > Tegan and Sara.
Quote by t3gan
Yeah, it's so pretty... Or something.
If I ever needed an alarm, I'd want that to be it. It would be great to wake up to.

It'd have to be so loud for me. It's so nice and relaxing, I'd probably roll over and go back to sleep.
I love being Australian. ANZAC day is always great. People pay their respects, then watch footy, have barbecues, and enjoy the luxuries that due to the brave men who died for us, we can have.
Page 1 of 2