Hi, i read the catcher in the rye a couple of times. but i dont get the end, when he is at the carrousel with his sister.

could anybody explain?
i just finished reading it...i didn't like the ending either but the point is that holden hates change, so the things that make him happy are memories of his brother allie and his sister phoebe, and being with phoebe. he also likes to think of the museum because it always stays the same, and the carousel because it never changes either. so at the end he is sitting on the benches watching his sister in the rain on the carousel because he enjoys remembering the past and being with his sister and the carousel has not changed. i know that is a mouthful and it's probably not all worded out right, but yes it was confusing even to me explaining it. hope this helps
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Quote by tlohrmann13
i just finished reading it...i didn't like the ending either but the point is that holden hates change, so the things that make him happy are memories of his brother allie and his sister phoebe, and being with phoebe. he also likes to think of the museum because it always stays the same, and the carousel because it never changes either. so at the end he is sitting on the benches watching his sister in the rain on the carousel because he enjoys remembering the past and being with his sister and the carousel has not changed. i know that is a mouthful and it's probably not all worded out right, but yes it was confusing even to me explaining it. hope this helps

cheers mate
if you recall, his sister is reaching for the golden ring in the center. holden knows that she could fall, but he doesn't help her because he realizes that it is inevitable that she will get hurt, and that it's no use sheltering her. he know's that she is going to grow up. he comes to the realization that things have to change but he can take solice in their memory

at least that's what i got of it...
i had to read the great gatsby too...but i liked that ending more
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
I hate high school. Every school in the country is programmed to read the same crap! they are good books.... but im sure there are hundreds of other greater books.
The Catcher In The Rye is probably my favorite book. I loved every word of it. The ending wasn't really Holden and Phoebe at the carousel. It was actually like a Quentin Tarrintino Film. Holed was retelling his little escapade through New York from the cozy quarters of a mental institution. The part you speak of was when Phoebe wanted to reach for the golden ring. It symbolizes the crossing from childhood and innocence into the harsh reality of adulthood. Holden wants to "catch" Phoebe from "falling" into that adulthood. He then realizes that everyone must fall on there own in good time.
Quote by rorythefaggot
I am a clock.

What am I?

GO PHILLIES
Quote by tlohrmann13
i had to read the great gatsby too...but i liked that ending more

The Great Gatsby is by far the best book I've ever read. Ever.
Terms and Conditions apply.
^Agreed. It changed my outlook on society.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Gatsby is also my favourite character of all time. He is so brilliantly depicted.
Terms and Conditions apply.
Quote by Darkside825
The Catcher In The Rye is probably my favorite book. I loved every word of it. The ending wasn't really Holden and Phoebe at the carousel. It was actually like a Quentin Tarrintino Film. Holed was retelling his little escapade through New York from the cozy quarters of a mental institution. The part you speak of was when Phoebe wanted to reach for the golden ring. It symbolizes the crossing from childhood and innocence into the harsh reality of adulthood. Holden wants to "catch" Phoebe from "falling" into that adulthood. He then realizes that everyone must fall on there own in good time.

you said it much more eloquently than I. but i agree, it was a great read.