so im playing an ESP m200(obviously) and i definitly want some hotter pickups and have settle on emg's. but now i cant f'ucking decide on wether to get an 81 and an 85 or two 81's. i play lead guitar in my kickass metal band, but at home i play all kinds of stuff(except jazz) and ive heard that 81's arent to good on clean channels. anyways this decision is goin through my head 24/7 so any opinions would help me sleep at night.
81 bridge, 60 neck
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
You don't need pickups, they're not going to make any difference.

A new amp is the only thing that's going to make a significant difference to your tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

A new amp is the only thing that's going to make a significant difference to your tone.

Depends on the amp ofcourse. New pickups can change alot on tube amps, not much on solid states.
Jackson KV 2, Jackson COW 7 (both in B), Jackson Demmelition V
Bogner Überschall (blue rev)
Marshall 1960B Vintage (2x V30 & 2x G12T75)
TC Electronic G Major
BBE Sonic Maximizer 422A
Weber Mass 150w
ISP ProRackG
T.Racks Dinopower
Looking at his profile shows he has a behringer amp.
Definitely get a new amp. EMG's will not make a crappy amp sound good
Quote by radioarizona
I agree with this. My Hellraiser has this set-up, and I completely love it. The 60 to me sounds a lot better than the 85.

my hellraiser is 81 85?????

or did you change it?
Quote by Ventor
81 bridge, 60 neck
Word, 'cept maybe go for the 60A neck
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Quote by beetroot10
my hellraiser is 81 85?????

or did you change it?

I don't know if this is the reason, but is yours an '08 model? I just bought mine about a month ago. EMG 81/60 with coil tap.

EDIT: Or coil split, whatever you want to refer to it as/whichever is the correct terminology.
Last edited by radioarizona at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by Ventor
Depends on the amp ofcourse. New pickups can change alot on tube amps, not much on solid states.

Behringer V-Tone...nuff said.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by radioarizona
...EMG 81/60 with coil tap...
Ummm...no...

Unless these are new pickups, you can't tap an 81 or a 60.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
The new hellraisers have an 81tw and an 89. which are the equivalents of a tappable 81 and 85. still don't know where ur gettin the 60 from...
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Quote by 123-Trav
...81tw and an 89. which are the equivalents of a tappable 81 and 85...
Yes I know, however, it is not what he posted...
Quote by 123-Trav
...still don't know where ur gettin the 60 from...
Quote by radioarizona
I just bought mine about a month ago. EMG 81/60 with coil tap...
That is where I'm getting the 60 from. No mention of an 81TW, or an 89, hence my statement.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
Quote by 123-Trav
The new hellraisers have an 81tw and an 89. which are the equivalents of a tappable 81 and 85. still don't know where ur gettin the 60 from...

Ah. Well then, that would be it. I was told by the salesman at Guitar Center it was an 81/60 set-up...shows how much those people know, seeing as even on the site it says 81TW/89. My mistake.

EDIT: And in which case this is the set-up I enjoy, haha.
Last edited by radioarizona at Apr 25, 2008,
thanks for your guys's inputs. it would help if i could play on some guitars with these pickups but all the dealers around here are cheap. nearset guitar center's about 60 miles away.
and by the way, although behringer might not be the best amp i think its pretty good. two 12 inch 60 watt speakers and two different channels with three different amp sttings, three different amp modes and three different speaker settings along with the 99 different effects(some more different than others). then theres the RP200 i plug into it with a s'hitfull of amp modes and settings and effects. it might not be the best amp out there, but considering i traded an xbox game for it i think it deserves just a little respect.
Quote by steven seagull

lol, i love how in every "what pup" thread you never actually suggest a pickup
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
It may have alot of effects, and blablabla. But the tone? Probably not very good since its a behringer.
Gear:

Guitars:
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson
Schecter C-1 Custom FR
Schecter C-1 Plus
Schecter Damien Elite 7
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II
Fender acoustic

Bass: Harley Benton HBB400TBK

Amp: Peavy valveking 112
Line6 POD HD500
Quote by shredhead22
lol, i love how in every "what pup" thread you never actually suggest a pickup

I don't see the point in recommending pickups when I know they're not going to benefit someone. When somebody who actually needs pickups asks I recommend something...

...admittedly it's usually a Breed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

EMG active pickups rely almost solely on your amp to provide any decent tone. Active pickups are tonally vapid (unlike passive pickups which can have their own tonal balances, e.g. some may be wired to provide more high-end response, etc), so if any part of the rest of your gear sucks, actives will only make it sound worse.

Basically, actives give you a 'truer' tone than passive pickups. Passive pickups colour your tone (as I said before, some may have different tonal responses), so they can disguise something like an amp that doesn't have maximum bass, or a cable that doesn't transmit all the mids smoothly, or a guitar that has dodgy body wood that doesn't define each note properly.
On the other hand, actives expose all these flaws. Every problem your gear has will show up when you use active pickups. Amp doesn't shape high-end properly? It'll show up with actives. Cable is lower quality and provides conduction noise? Actives will show that up. Guitar's body wood is sub-par and muddy? Actives will show it up. It also exposes your playing more, if you're at all sloppy then it will show up more with active pickups than it would with passive pickups.

This is of course, also why active pickups can give such a good tone too - if all your gear is bang-on perfect and you can play like a real professional, then the actives will show off that perfect gear (while passives might deaden or blur some of the quality) and your playing will sound perfect to everyone.

The bottom line is, with your current gear, active pickups will sound horrible. When you have superb, touring-quality gear, a guitar that's worth thousands, an amp wall taller than yourself and the highest fidelity cables, then great, active pickups will give you unbeatable tone. But as you are now, all active pickups will do is expose every problem you have.

Want hotter pickups? Many brands make lots of high-output passive pickups that would suit you better. But first, as so many others have said, get a new amp.
Quote by BoggaN
It may have alot of effects, and blablabla. But the tone? Probably not very good since its a behringer.

its got alright tone... i just have to tweak it a bit. turn the drive all the way up, set the amp to cali. and the setting on hot and the speaker on US, then set the guitar combo on dist. 2 and crank that way up. and theres a definet difference when i use my other guitar. i will deffenitly get a new amp sometime. but first just want some new pickups. dont worry if it will sound like crap cause thats my problem and after i get some new pickups then ill get a new amp, if active pickups really bring out the sound of the amp then thats probably when i should test some out. thanks for being honest though
Quote by espm200
its got alright tone... i just have to tweak it a bit. turn the drive all the way up, set the amp to cali. and the setting on hot and the speaker on US, then set the guitar combo on dist. 2 and crank that way up. and theres a definet difference when i use my other guitar. i will deffenitly get a new amp sometime. but first just want some new pickups. dont worry if it will sound like crap cause thats my problem and after i get some new pickups then ill get a new amp, if active pickups really bring out the sound of the amp then thats probably when i should test some out. thanks for being honest though

The whole point is to get a new amp first.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by espm200

Like I said, don't bother.

Why spend money on something that's not going to be able to what you want it to?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

allright, any amp suggestions for a real heavy metal sound? ive been lookin at krankenstiens and that kerry king sig. marshall. online
emg active retains no tone of your guitar...if you do anything else besides chuging the e string, which you said you do in your post...active emgs will not benifit you at all...in your metal band they will sound fine, but if you try to play real music they will sound crap.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
A) People who don't consider metal real music are idiots. I'm sorry it's just a fact. Regardless of personal taste, as a musician and intelligent person you should have the capacity to at the very least appreciate it. (this outburst comes from reading 3 posts in a row where people call metal bad :/)

B) I have some terrible gear, including a behringer half stack. GMX1200H or whatever it is called, and I can tell you, the difference between sitting down with a guitar with actives and a guitar with passives is mind blowing. Contrary to what I am reading, using active pickups added an amazing amount of clarity and colour to the sound of the amp.
Quote by GibsonTheGuitar
A) People who don't consider metal real music are idiots. I'm sorry it's just a fact. Regardless of personal taste, as a musician and intelligent person you should have the capacity to at the very least appreciate it. (this outburst comes from reading 3 posts in a row where people call metal bad :/)

B) I have some terrible gear, including a behringer half stack. GMX1200H or whatever it is called, and I can tell you, the difference between sitting down with a guitar with actives and a guitar with passives is mind blowing. Contrary to what I am reading, using active pickups added an amazing amount of clarity and colour to the sound of the amp.

qft..i have a less paul and the guitar in my sig that has 81/85 and a ss amp
and i can tell the diference in the way they sound.i love the emgs.
Quote by bi-ah!
emg active retains no tone of your guitar...if you do anything else besides chuging the e string, which you said you do in your post...active emgs will not benifit you at all...in your metal band they will sound fine, but if you try to play real music they will sound crap.

First, define "real music"
Second, what do mean by chuging the e string. i play lead
Quote by bi-ah!
Epic fail.

By far one of the most horribly incorrect posts in the history of the internet. Please, take a bow.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
..I've managed to get some really sparkling clean tones from my EMGs, haha. Hell I can pretty much dial in any sound I want, especially with the coil split. No clue what the hell bi-ah! is talking about.
^ Word.

I hate the "EMG=metal" stereotype.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头