I have a Peavey Triple XXX 112 combo and I just cant find a tone I like. Im after a good modern metal tone (like in flames/machine head type tone) but ive been twisting and twisting those knobs and i just cant dial in a good sound. Ive tried running a 10 band eq in the loop but no matter what I do it always sounds like crud. Ive just changed the stock speaker for a V30 in the hope that it would improve the amp, and although it has removed some of the muddy bass the sheffield had im still not satisfied with it. Can anyone help me out? My guitars are tuned to drop c and drop a# if that helps.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
84 views and 0 replys?
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
I had the exact same problem with my Peavey. I do not like SS Peaveys, never played a tube but I've heard some pretty good things about them so I dunno.
If you're running built in distortion (if the amp has one, I'm not familiar with it), DON'T. Get a pedal through it, that'll help a little. I can't really say much other than that though, mine always sounded like it had a wet flannel in the speaker.
Last edited by kthxbi at Apr 25, 2008,
Sorry serbusfish, I am not really familiar with your amp. However, some folks suggest replacing the two 6L6GC tubes in the power amp, with EL34. Don't know how much this will help? Also, remember with tube amps you kinda have to krank the volume to get the power tubes to break up naturally...so turn that baby up and see if that offers any improvement.

Hopefully someone with your type of amp and that plays metal can chime in. Good Luck!
Quote by damnedone
Sorry serbusfish, I am not really familiar with your amp. However, some folks suggest replacing the two 6L6GC tubes in the power amp, with EL34. Don't know how much this will help? Also, remember with tube amps you kinda have to krank the volume to get the power tubes to break up naturally...so turn that baby up and see if that offers any improvement.

Hopefully someone with your type of amp and that plays metal can chime in. Good Luck!

Well It already has EL34's, the guy I bought it from fitted them. If it helps the amp has an active eq (which makes it very hard to dial in) Its a 40 watt amp, from watching youtube clips ive seen people running the 120 watt heads in bedrooms without the need to crank them very loud, so i wouldnt have thought id need to do it with mine as its lower in the wattage department.
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
It may be the case that the 120 watt version has some sort of attenuator, because there's no way you can get the best tone out of a 120 watt amp at bedroom levels without one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by serbusfish
I have a Peavey Triple XXX 112 combo and I just cant find a tone I like. Im after a good modern metal tone (like in flames/machine head type tone) but ive been twisting and twisting those knobs and i just cant dial in a good sound. Ive tried running a 10 band eq in the loop but no matter what I do it always sounds like crud. Ive just changed the stock speaker for a V30 in the hope that it would improve the amp, and although it has removed some of the muddy bass the sheffield had im still not satisfied with it. Can anyone help me out? My guitars are tuned to drop c and drop a# if that helps.

There's your problem. Try keeping all of the tone knobs above noon, since the xxx is active eq (if I'm not terribly mistaken) it sounds better that way. But the main problem is your amp buddy. Try picking up a 6505