Hey all,

I've had my acoustic tuned down to Eb the past couple of months and I love it, and I've noticed how some songs sound absolutely incredible tuned down a half step.

Who else is a fan of this tuning and what do you play?

I think my favourites are:

Playing along to the Alice In Chains Unplugged album (Brother, Rooster, Angry Chair, Got Me Wrong, Down In A Hole, Nutshell),

Hendrix stuff, like Taking Care of No Business, Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary

Zeppelin stuff. Meant to be in E standard but stuff like Over The Hills and Far Away and Ten Years Gone sound even better than in standard IMO!

Any of you guys got songs to suggest? I love learning new songs, especially acoustic chord progressions because they just sound so wonderful on my 12 string
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopeless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
yeh my band plays in Eb aswell.
love that tuning, adds a bit more edge to things, plus makes singing live easier
Anything that's also in standard. It really doesn't matter whether or not a song is tuned a 1/2 step down or not. Unless you're holding a guitar, tuner, or anything musical in your hand, you aren't going to notice it's tuned down.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
my guitar is actually in D (drop 1 step)
Quote by metacarpi
I get called a slut all the time, and I'm a dude.

Quote by Kartman
Anything that's also in standard. It really doesn't matter whether or not a song is tuned a 1/2 step down or not. Unless you're holding a guitar, tuner, or anything musical in your hand, you aren't going to notice it's tuned down.

Aye, I know, but what I was trying to communicate was that playing certain songs in Eb have an extra added dimension to playing in standard. Certain songs just sound better sometimes, y'know?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Wikipedia
only song I play in Eb is Acoustic Melody

Do you mean Acoustic Medley? The Marley track?

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by BornToRun
my guitar is actually in D (drop 1 step)

Mine too. Sweet sound, full and rich and the highs are wonderfully smooth. Fits my vocal range nicely too. I play whatever I was playing in E, just a step down. Same on my electric, just play whatever.
Yeh, down half a step is easily my second most used tuning. Favourite songs would be:

Fuel - Hemorrhage in my hands
Dashboard Confessional - End of an Anchor
Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want
Standard songs tuned down 1 1/2 step sound great. My favorite is A Favor House Atlantic, it sounds amazing tuned down.
I absolutely love (playing) Staind, and play alot of their songs 1/2 step down. Prime examples would be Zoe Jane and Outside, both amazing songs.
I usually keep my 12-string in C# standard, makes it a bit easier to play, and warms the tone up a bit as well.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I like playing jazz tunes in Eb.
My favorites to play in Eb are "Scrapple From The Apple" and "Four".
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Smashing Pumpkins are my favourite band so i usually tune to Eb to play their songs.
Anything by Brand New is good, and likely in Eb try "the boy who blocked his own shot"
Quote by Sway!
Smashing Pumpkins are my favourite band so i usually tune to Eb to play their songs.

I love playing their songs on an Eb acoustic.

Chord progressions... hmm... How about "here is no why" by the smashing pumpkins. It has got some single notes but the Abmaj7 just sounds awesome
Quote by Sway!

Ye, a lot of their stuff in is Eb, 1979 is a good one to learn.

John Frusciante has some stuff in Eb, First Season is a great song of his in Eb.
Hell yes. May favorite tuning. I play most of the Chains unplugged album a lot, and Staind too. The only reason I tune it up is to do Stephen Lynch and stuff like that. Really, I could just put the capo at 1, but w/e.
anything in standard, ive heard a lot of bands tune down to Eb to better suit the vocals
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Hendrix tuned to Eb to accommodate his vocal range. SRV noticed how much warmer and bluesy his trio sounded in Eb and kept it that way. Neil Young really tuned down about as far as you can go with "My My, Hey Hey" and "Sugar Mountain" which are even lower than Eb. Some songs/genre just sound better to my ear in Eb, and the blues definitely is one of them. Stairway to Heaven, on the other hand, doesn't sound right (too flat) to my ear in Eb, but Zep pulled it off nicely at the reunion gig to accommodate Plants aging vocals.

I prefer Eb for blues, but I keep a guitar tuned to each just to avoid having to tune up and down all the time when playing along to backing tracks. BTW: is anybody familiar with the Transperformance (automatic tuning) guitar system? Wow, I would love to get my hands on one of those gems. The electronic bridge set up will automatically tune to every tuning you can think of instantly at the touch of a button and tune to near perfect pitch every time.

Check it out
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at May 5, 2008,
Basically any Hendrix song. Try Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand, Electric Ladyland, Wait Until Tomorrow, Bold As Love, etc. Then obviously any SRV song. Lenny is a personally fav for Eb tuning as it's really the only song I think sounds off if played in just E standard.
Quote by Jammy Pige
Hendrix tuned to Eb to accommodate his vocal range. SRV noticed how much warmer and bluesy his trio sounded in Eb and kept it that way. Neil Young really tuned down about as far as you can go with "My My, Hey Hey" and "Sugar Mountain" which are even lower than Eb. Some songs/genre just sound better to my ear in Eb, and the blues definitely is one of them. Stairway to Heaven, on the other hand, doesn't sound right (too flat) to my ear in Eb, but Zep pulled it off nicely at the reunion gig to accommodate Plants aging vocals.

I prefer Eb for blues, but I keep a guitar tuned to each just to avoid having to tune up and down all the time when playing along to backing tracks. BTW: is anybody familiar with the
Transperformance (automatic tuning) guitar system? Wow, I would love to get my hands on one of those gems. The electronic bridge set up will automatically tune to every tuning you can think of instantly at the touch of a button and tune to near perfect pitch every time.

I love Eb tuning because a capo allows you to play standard very simply I don't have the luxury of multiple guitars (just one acoustic and one electric)

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.
Quote by Highbinder
I love Eb tuning because a capo allows you to play standard very simply I don't have the luxury of multiple guitars (just one acoustic and one electric)

Yes, on an acoustic the capo from Eb to standard is a great way to get around that problem. I tend to bend my strings a lot (just my style) when I play my electric and I just don't like it as much with a capo, but that works great on an acoustic. As far as multiple guitars go, I hope I didn't come off like a snobby elitist guitarist. . . you know the type I'm talking about. . .they're all over UG forums. The truth is it took me "many" years to acquire the cheap line up of gear I do have and luxury is more like struggle to maintain this hobby that I like so much. Eb flat is awesome.
~JP~
another reason players like SRV tuned donw half a step was to stop harmonica players from the audience joining in.