To get the best sound out of this for late night play that needs to be quiet, where do most people usually drop the wattage meeter on the back to? I know this is a big benefit of this unit vs. the 15, but have heard that tone suffers some as the back wattage is decreased.

Basically want to play this head to head with the 15 this weekend at the same low volume levels to see if there is a noticeable difference to me (a new player) between the two after dropping the wattage on the 30. I'm never going to crank it, just dinking around late at night for fun only.

Thanks.
Any setting on the back produces a decent tone but you're not going to get that real good tube overdrive unless you crank it
Quote by Mountaindew91
Any setting on the back produces a decent tone but you're not going to get that real good tube overdrive unless you crank it

crank the back or the master and amp vols on the top? Thought that was the point of being able to lower the wattage. So if the wattage is dropped in half, is it the same OD sound you'd get from the 15 if everything else is held constant?
Quote by Mountaindew91

Still not gonna get that real tube OD if you crank it, though it does sound a lot better if you do crank it.

Set the attenuator to 9 o'clock and put the master, gain, and channel volume all the way up.
Quote by imgooley
Still not gonna get that real tube OD if you crank it, though it does sound a lot better if you do crank it.

Set the attenuator to 9 o'clock and put the master, gain, and channel volume all the way up.

But what about for night time low levels? That's all I'd ever use it for. I don't even need close to 30 watts.
If you put the attenuator at 9 o'clock, the wattage is 5w. or lower, since I have 20 more watts than that.
^Not really. Cranking it does effect tone, in this rare case, because of the way that it's made.
Quote by imgooley
^Not really. Cranking it does effect tone, in this rare case, because of the way that it's made.

And how is that? Of course cranking it affects the tone, but the power amp is solid state, so the effect won't be good :idk:

Is it that hard to try anyway? You have the amp, just experiment.
Quote by Say Ocean
Is it that hard to try anyway? You have the amp, just experiment.

Seriously.

And it's a good effect by the way. From someone who owns it.
Quote by Say Ocean
Dude the wattage doesn't matter. The power amp is still solid state. Having the wattage all the way up is always going to sound best.

Dude, the power amp is run with the 12ax7 tube, the preamp is solid state. Still, it's best cranked... (yes, with the attenuator under 12 oclock is major tone suck)
But for bedroom vol set the attenuator to 12 oclock. Master Vol at 12, vol at 12, use guitar vol or vol to get a sound that's acceptable. The faux attenuator/master vol controls the tube saturation.
Quote by Myrdinn
Dude, the power amp is run with the 12ax7 tube, the preamp is solid state. Still, it's best cranked... (yes, with the attenuator under 12 oclock is major tone suck)
But for bedroom vol set the attenuator to 12 oclock. Master Vol at 12, vol at 12, use guitar vol or vol to get a sound that's acceptable. The faux attenuator/master vol controls the tube saturation.

Even if you set the attenuator to 12 to cut the wattage in half (effectively making it a 15 watt) and lower the amp and master vols to bedroom levels, does the 30 sound better than the 15 since you're effectively changing it to a 15? I'm trying to see if it's worth the extra $50 since I'll never even really use close to 15 watts. It's really hard for a new player like me to pick out these differences in a loud, crowded store.
Yes it's worth it... the 12ax7 tube in the power amp does make a difference in tone, plus the 10" spkr sounds better than the 8" in the ad15. And just because you don't think you'll use more than 15w today may not be true tomorrow. Still, if you can A/B them, then let your ears be the judge (also if the place isn't to crowed/loud, then play with the attenuator on the ad30 and try different MV/V levels to decide.
Quote by Myrdinn
Yes it's worth it... the 12ax7 tube in the power amp does make a difference in tone, plus the 10" spkr sounds better than the 8" in the ad15. And just because you don't think you'll use more than 15w today may not be true tomorrow. Still, if you can A/B them, then let your ears be the judge (also if the place isn't to crowed/loud, then play with the attenuator on the ad30 and try different MV/V levels to decide.

Since they both use the same tube in the power amp, what you're saying is that by cutting the 30's wattage in half it doesn't sound worse than using the 15 at full wattage even though you supposedly worsen your tone with the 30 as you lower the attenuator, and this is basically b/c it's a bigger speaker? Just want to be sure I understand where the tradeoffs are coming from. Thanks.