Hey, my old distortion pedal used to give me a LOT of white noise when I wasn't playing any notes, so I got a new one, and, well it's the exact same.
Old pedal - Boss OS-2
New pedal - Marshall Guv'nor 2

I don't know if it's a bad pedal or if it's damaged or what, is there anything I could do to fix it?
The background noise increases as I turn the gain up.
Last edited by kthxbi at Apr 25, 2008,
lots of electrical things around the amp and pedals.
the feedback prob comes from things like tat, and u turn the gain up it gets louder. lt could be ure leads too, if u hav cheapo leads they can not be grounded right so they just pick up noises from basically anything electrical alround.
could actually be the guitar if its not grounded right.
noise gate sounds like it might help you
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
sounds like your guitar has a poor connection in the electronics (meaning it might have to be soldered)
try changing your pickup selector and see if that changes the "fuzz"
It could be a hundred other things too though
thats just a feature of distortion pedals. nothing you can do about it
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
thankyouthankyouthankyou and thankyou :]
the main problem was that I had a load of electrical stuff all around it. I know pedals always have a little noise but this was like AKHAHFAKDFHAAAKHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH as opposed to the usual pshhhh kinda thing
well explained as ever
problem solved.
I have a Marshall pedal too, its noisy....play around with your settings and see what you can do. What helped me was adding the Boss DS-2 along with my JH-1 and I was able to tone down the extra noise and find a nice balance. Pedals are notorious for extra noise though so you have to live with it at some point

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Blanco
lots of electrical things around the amp and pedals.
the feedback prob comes from things like tat, and u turn the gain up it gets louder. lt could be ure leads too, if u hav cheapo leads they can not be grounded right so they just pick up noises from basically anything electrical alround.
could actually be the guitar if its not grounded right.

great points too, interference and bad cables are a huge culprit too

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
I have a Marshall pedal too, its noisy....play around with your settings and see what you can do. What helped me was adding the Boss DS-2 along with my JH-1 and I was able to tone down the extra noise and find a nice balance. Pedals are notorious for extra noise though so you have to live with it at some point

Yeah, doubling up is a pretty good idea, I might try that :]
When I have a place I can crank an amp in and an amp that sounds good cranked, you can be sure I won't be using distortion pedals anymore :p