I want a new amp for practicing at home preferably with valves. Thinking about the Peavey valveking royal 8 5-watt amp. I currently play through a 10-watt kustom amp with not the greatest sound in the world. As I play pretty quietly and through headphones half the time, will it actually be worth it? I could go for somethin with a bit more omph like 30-watts but I don't think I'd turn it loud enough to get the most out of the tubes. I basically want a good metal tone without sacrificing a nice clean soun. Bare in mind I play a Gibson Les Paul Standard with a boss ME-50 at the moment.

Cheers guys.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard (trans amber, 60s neck)
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Washburn 12-string acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
i have the peavey valveking royal 8 and i love it. i live in a dorm where its impossible to play loud anytime without getting complaints so having the headphone jack on a tube amp is a great feature. I use that with an epi les paul and a metal muff for a good metal/hard rock tone or my strat with a tubescreamer for blues.
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Ash Lite Stratocaster
Ibanez ac70 acoustic
Ovation Celebrity
Fender Blues Jr
planet waves tuner-ts9dx tubescreamer-metal muff-boss ce-5-delta labs dd1 delay
I play anything from pink floyd to metallica the beatles to megadeth, radiohead, slayer. So versatility is a must.
"Sit your ass down in that f@%$ing chair and drink your GODAMN TEA!!" - Cid, FFVII

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
yea you got several options although that royal 8 looks like it would suit you
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH5112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=481675
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Champion-600-5-Watt-1x6-Combo-Amp?sku=485054
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Junior-Combo-Amp?sku=480260

although some of those seem to lack any kind of distortion...

but you could also look into a palomino if you want some more power...

or an orange tiny terror with like a 1x12 cab would kick ass too. But you'd have to shell out some more cash for these
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
The Royal 8 won't do anything heavier than Lynyrd Skynyrd on its own. And that's a fact. Your best bet would be to buy it with some sort of standalone distortion pedal like the Metal Muff to use for heavier styles.
I have a boss ME-50 I can use for distortion/overdrive purposes

Gear:
USA Fender Strat
Westfield acoustic
Encore bass
Aria acoustic bass
i'd be looking elsewhere to be honest... as bartdevil said, the royal 8 doesn't have too much dirt on its own... considering you play some metal as well, i'd rather have a higher wattage amp aimed at the tones you want, but turned down (assuming it sounds decent turned down) than an amp you can crank more, but which isn't aimed at the tone you want.

i guess the royal 8 is worth a try with your me50, though. it couldn't hurt, just to see.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?