Well, atonal music simply means a musical piece with no tonal center.

But I simply can't imagine how that sounds like. Can anybody give me some examples of that kind of music?

Thanks.
upon reading this, id be very interested too...anybody have examples?
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Go to downtown of a big city. Listen to cars, wind, rustling of trees, people talking.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
couldnt tell if that was serious or not...^
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
Almost anything written by Schoenberg in his later years.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I do believe the original Planet of the Apes music was atonal.

Also check out some serialism, wierd stuff. You use all 12 notes of the chromatic scale in a certain order, and use this order in different ways, e.g. backwards or with the intervals inverted.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Check out the works of Arnold Schoenberg. He's an early 20th century Austrian composer who pioneered atonal composition including 12-tone technique. Wikipedia has an article.

I listened to his "Pierrot Lunaire: Madonna" ("Moonstruck Mime" in English) in a music course last semester. Its supposed to be about a lunatic who sees the full moon and breaks into song about the Crucifixion. The singing is done with a Sprechstimme technique which makes the singer sound insane (or retarded depending on who you ask). The whole work is 21 poems set to music, but the "Madonna" is a popular one.

Don't know any modern atonal composers or bands, but Schoenberg is a good starting point.

Hope this helps.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Almost anything written by Schoenberg in his later years.

definitely

12 tone system is what you wanna check into...i believe jason becker wrote a 12 tone song too....i believe theyre from "Opus Pocus" and "Savage"
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
One of my housemates did some coursework on atonal music. It's pretty dire stuff, to be honest.
^ That was kinda the point

Composers got bored of all the Romantic music around at the time and decided to do something completely different.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Alot of Mars Volta stuff. 'Try take the veil cerpin taxt'. I think the intro riff and the robotic psychopath solo in the middle are pretty atonal. Also most of the guitarist's 'Omars' stuff is pretty atonal.
Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima

Anything by Cage, or Charles Ives comes to mind. A lot of the mid 20th century stuff is atonal... not all of it is serialistic (Threnody, and Schoenberg both are). Another serialistic composer that's well liked is Berg.

Crumb, and Ligeti; and for atonal electronica any of Lansky's Idle Chatter music.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by psychodelia
Yesss

Interesting fact of the day: Threnody is actually a seralistic piece.

I was rather surprised when I learned that.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Quote by Erc
I don't think Anton Webern has been mentioned, and neither has late era Scriabin.

Webern has some good stuff.
Quote by Doodleface
Go to downtown of a big city. Listen to cars, wind, rustling of trees, people talking.

This guy is probably serious when he says this. There's one composer I remember, I think it was Varese, who went around recording the sounds of New York City. Speaking of Varese, he's got some pretty interesting music. Look up Density 21.5
Hindemith wasn't fully atonal, but he used all 12 tones fairly freely. His music tends to be love-hate though.
Stravinsky used serialism extensively in the last 20 years or so of his life, and his earler stuff certainly leans toward what we call "atonal", though most of his pre-1950 works have a tonal center.
I can't stand a lot of atonal stuff, but when it's good it's really good stuff.
On another note, any Messiaen fans here? I downloaded Quartet for the End of Time recently, it's a very interesting piece.