so i have about 700$ to spend on a really good recording rig. now i will need everything except cables within that 700$. Im open to computer recording, and may prefer it. I do like using digital 8/16 tracks as well. Not looking for anything bigger then 16, and 8 would most likley do.

What im looking for is some suggestions on what you guys think i should look at. a good demo recorder.

Prefering the computer recording, does anyone have any advice on the stuff.

How effective are recording packages??? It's ok if i dont have really high quality monitors, im just looking for something that'll have good sounding inputs. I plan on running everything ether with a Mic or just a direct out from the amps.
direct out from amps sounds terrible, especially if its a tube amp.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
try the main forum under the riffs and recordings section.

$700 isn't going to get you a whole lot but its a good start. you can get yourself a few mics and a quality audio interface for your computer.

using a free recording program is a good way to save money (audacity seems to be the recommended one around here)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Audacity is nice, and if you have a mac, get logic express (€300). Buy a nice 16 track mixer with mic preamps with a firewire interface from the remaining cash (€300 (yes they exist). Then save up for some more gear

Well, all jokes aside, get a good firewire enabled mixer and a good vocals mic. Use the recording out on your amp for the time being and use audacity for recording. Next, save up for a more decent recording program and some Shure mics to mic your cab.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-Firestudio-Project-Recording-Package?sku=482341

Is probably the best I've seen around that price. The FireStudio, is a really good interface and is capable of studio-quality recordings. Also included are two MXL mics which I've also used in conjunction with the interface and got great results.

Monitors, cables and mic stands are also included which is nice, as is Cubase LE for your recording software which is much better than Audacity.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I love how the Mic Horlicks linked to has a label saying "front" on the front. We guitarists must really be a dumb bunch.
Quote by pacoasterrider
so i have about 700$ to spend on a really good recording rig. now i will need everything except cables within that 700$. Im open to computer recording, and may prefer it. I do like using digital 8/16 tracks as well. Not looking for anything bigger then 16, and 8 would most likley do.

What im looking for is some suggestions on what you guys think i should look at. a good demo recorder.

Prefering the computer recording, does anyone have any advice on the stuff.

How effective are recording packages??? It's ok if i dont have really high quality monitors, im just looking for something that'll have good sounding inputs. I plan on running everything ether with a Mic or just a direct out from the amps.

R&R is the proper form, I'll have this moved.

What are you planning on recording?
Must you record each instrument live in one take?

I can't suggest any gear until I know that...

Recording packs are not great IMO, they offer some good gear but most of the time you can spend only a slight more and get better gear if you look around and know how to shop.

Mic your amps, it will sound much better and wont cost much more to set this up.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 25, 2008,