recently revieved my randall rh50t head
im running this through a 212 randall cab with celestion's.
its a really nice sounding amp, but sometimes can sound a touch messy.
im using it with a prs tremonti se, and on clean it can sometimes sound too bright, almost like a solid state, and i only get real valve tone on the rhythm pickup.

i have a pretty small budget, so i was thinking about trying a cheap 7 band eq, and see if it improves it? and if so, save up for the mxr 10 band eq.

iv heard stories of people changing the tubes and getting a much nicer sound,
it currently has :

# Two EL34 power tubes
# Four 12AX7EH’s

any suggestions?

(im planning on upgrading the treble pick up on the prs later)
changing tubes can change the tone and maybee a sonic maximizer but thats alott
what do you mean with "real valve tone" on only one pick up? Sounds strange to me, have you really tried all possibilities with the amp eq? What volume are you playing at? How much you push the power tubes does really much for the tone in tube amps.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
like it hasnt quite got the depth of other valve amps iv heard, not warm enough, to harsh and brittle if that makes sense. this is only on the treble pickup though, its alot better on the rhythm pickup though, could this be because of the actual pickup rather than the amp ?

the gain tone is pretty good for most things, iv managed to sort that out abit now by turning the gain down a touch but id like a bit more clarity to it.

i was wondering if the eq would make a difference to this?

and if the eq and new tubes could help the overall tone?

if so which tubes would people recommend?
i wouldn't worry about it.. you probably just need to break the speakers in. since they're new they're probably pretty stiff and will smoothe out after awhile of some good loud crankin
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
sounds promising lol!
iv been using the cab for a few weeks with my old solid state previously, would it already have been broken in?
tough call.. all speakers are different. the speaker in my amp took a few good crankings (maybe 10 or so loud jams) before i really started to notice how much i enjoyed its tone
il see how it goes then cheers!
can anybody advise me on whether a basic eq will help or different tubes?
Quote by robbieleeson
il see how it goes then cheers!
can anybody advise me on whether a basic eq will help or different tubes?

An eq will help for sure. you can use it to dial out the stiffness and brittleness in your tone.

As far as different tubes, they all have their own characteristics, so depending on what type of tube and brand name, other brands of the same tube type will have a different tone as well. Different biasing on the tubes affect things as well, so perhaps your amp just needs to be set up by a pro.

someone with more tube experience should shed more light on this tho
^ It's probably the speakers then, change them for something like a vintage 30 and see if you notice a difference
rather not change them yet, its a brand new cab and i spent my budget on the cab and head!
i would go with a new change of tubes as this would give u a more "authentic" tube tone than an EQ pedal.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by robbieleeson
rather not change them yet, its a brand new cab and i spent my budget on the cab and head!

Well why don't you want to change speakers, but you can change tubes?
because i think speakers would be more expensive, and id feel it was a waste buying that cab only to go and change the speakers, as they made my last s.s amp sound alot nicer
Fair enough, I'm just sayin if you get new tubes you won't notice much difference. If you get new speakers you can cut the treble and just a much better sound overall. I suggest you save