Browsing around for some guitars and I came across two that a lot of people say are both good guitars. I am a beginner, therefore lacking the majority of knowledge that most of you have. So I have a small question;

Which would you suggest a beginner to start off on?
An Ibanez GRX20 - http://ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/ibanez/grx20/index.html

Or an Affinity Fat Strat - http://ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/squier/affinity_fat_strat/index.html

I'm a beginner and I want an electric, and both are the same prices; I just wanted to know which would probably be the best buy for me right now to learn on. I was also planning on getting a Roland MicroCube.

http://ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/roland/micro_cube/index.html

Is that a good buy, or is there a better amp that I should look into? I know there might be a lot of these threads but Im hoping you can bare with me.
the ibanez depending on wut u wanna play star for blues the ibanez for metal and harder stuff
strat, much much much better than any ibanez, excluding some of the prestiges
dont take any guff from these bastards man

Quote by Fenderhippie69
I only smoke when I've been drinking and I only drink when I've been smoking.
Quote by JadedWolf465

I was also planning on getting a Roland MicroCube.

Is that a good buy, or is there a better amp that I should look into? I know there might be a lot of these threads but Im hoping you can bare with me.

I´m a proud owner of a Microcube and I think it´s a really good amp to start with. Altho I don´t have much experience about amps, from what I´ve heard microcube really is good. You don´t necessarily need to buy any pedal or anything until you want to.

I think Ibanez´s guitars serve fine for playing metal, and that sort of stuff. Strat maybe a bit more fore everything. Then again, depends a lot of the model, I guess.
the ibanez is a really cheap one. the model above it, the GRG121, is a bit better and not a whole lot more expensive. i can't really say about the strat.
ibanez ftw sounds sooo much better - my has one beats an affinity strat any day, as it sounds like a good guitar rather then a beginner
I have never played the Ibanez, but I own the Affinity Strat. In short, it sucks. The frets aren't filed down and the pickups are too hot. I can't go into the upper range of the neck because when I do it doesn't play the note. The note will try to ring out, but because the pickups are too hot it doesn't ring out.

Also the micro cube is a good amp. I personally bought a Vox DA5 but I've heard good things about the micro cube.
If you tend to play heavier stuff, then the Ibanez. If you prefer a more clean style, then the Strat.
Quote by Heat-13
ibanez ftw sounds sooo much better - my has one beats an affinity strat any day, as it sounds like a good guitar rather then a beginner

ya. i remember i did compare mine to a strat that is close to that one and mine blew it out of the water for sound. i'm sure you could do some modding on the strat and still have a really good sounding guitar though.
Ibanez = Good metal / heavier music guitar.
Fender = All round good guitar, although Guitarnoobie seems to think otherwise.
Microcube = Good choice.
I'd go w/ the Srat. I know Ibanez is good for metal and stuff, but the strat will work for metal, and just about whatever else you'd want to play. As for the Microcube, I own one, and love it, good choice. If you like yours, you might look into getting on of the bigger cubes down the road.
Quote by A-G-guitarist
Microcube = Good choice.

I agree, but it is a Squier, which isn't a true Fender. If you can afford the difference, I would recommend a MIM Fender Stratocaster.
heheh my first guitar was an ibanez grg, and to this day i still love ibanez!!! Cheap affordable and sounds incredible! suited for just about any kind of music except for maybe blues or country.
I cant see what the hype is all about around fender, to me the mexican made strats are just horrid! This is what brand labelling can do! I DO NOT WORK FOR IBANEZ!!!!

And dont believe the people who say that a strat can play anything, because they've probably never heard a fat rock sound or it usually means that the strat was modded for metal.
Last edited by toasty_alcohol at Apr 25, 2008,
ya. i've played both like said before and i still prefer my ibanez grg. i know it's not the best you can get but it still sounds better. it would really be a rock/metal machine if i switched out the pickups.
You gotta compare prices and the style of music you play. strats are pretty awesome.
i own the ibanez, it was my first guitar
and i highly recommend it...it has tremendous value

theres a pic in my profile if you want to see it
and if you want more pics just ask
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
you can play any style with any guitar; so stop saying the starter ibanez is better for metal.
I don't even shred
The Ibanez is superior to the Affinity Strat.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
That's a squier strat, not a fender strat. Not that all squier's are bad, you can get a good one, but I would say that Ibanez's lower-level guitars beat squiers overall. I have an Ibanez GAX75 and I love it.
Quote by A-G-guitarist
Microcube = Good choice.

I never said I hated Fenders. I played my friend's Mexican Strat and I loved it. I simply don't like their Squier line.
I would play ibanez cause most guitarists head towards the heavier side these day so im guessing you will start heading towards the trend too.
It doesn't matter one bit - they're both decent beginner guitars that will give you a decent range of tones when paired up with a good starter amp like the Microcube.

Enough with the "strat for blues, Ibanez for metal" bollocks - the only issue here is which one he likes the look of the most.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Beginner Ibanez guitars are actually alot better than other 'beginner' guitars IMO
Thank you guys a lot for your feedback!

Yesterday I got a chance to head to SamAsh and tried out both guitars. They are both seemingly good choices for the level that Im at (or lack thereof, haha) but I like the Ibanez more and based on some of the reviews here as well as from some people who apparently know what they're doing @SamAsh, I've decided to get that one. I also like the look of the Ibanez more.

A lot of you guys helped out a great deal and I appreciate it very much!