Im going to start guitar soon and im going to buy an acoustic. I was wondering which acoustic guitars are better yamahas or ibanezs.

Which has better sound?
Prices for starting guitars?
Which do you get more for your money?
and anything else you guys can think of

Any opinions are welcome.
thanks
I have no idea, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend Ibanez.
However, don't take me for somebody remotely well-informed.
I am a total noob when it comes to acoustic guitars but I would tell you to look at other brands because I dont think these two are "famous" for their acoustics.
Yamahas are brilliant for beginner acoustics if you dont want to spend too much. Ive got a FG730s and I love it. To be honest ive heard better things about yamaha starter guitars then ibanez. Unless you are gonna spend alot go for Yamaha.
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom
Peavey ValveKing 112
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss MT-2

I live in your eyes.
Yamaha makes fantastic beginner guitars. They sound better, are built better, and are MUCH better values.

I don't think anyone who has the experience to know will tell you any different.
Quote by fsb_ben
Do youself a favour and click the link in my sig

I wanted some opinions on the comparison of ibanez and yamaha acoustic guitars. Does that thread show that? Because ive read most of it and i cant see anything about it. And who said i wanted a guitar for under 300?

Thanks everyone for the other replies that are more useful than this one im commenting on.
I haven't really tried any Ibanez acoustics, but I've got a Yamaha made-in-Japan FG75, and aside from the high action (which, considering its age, I can't hold against it), it's a wonderful guitar. Great tone, perfect for acoustic slide playing and raga stuff.
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Quote by A Tua Prima
I wanted some opinions on the comparison of ibanez and yamaha acoustic guitars. Does that thread show that? Because ive read most of it and i cant see anything about it. And who said i wanted a guitar for under 300?

Thanks everyone for the other replies that are more useful than this one im commenting on.

Way to be rude. If you're trying to decide between a Yamaha and an Ibanez then it's a reasonable assumption that you're looking at guitars at around that price range. There's a reason there are no Ibanez guitars on the first page of the thread that you were linked to. Think about that. If you're in the market for guitars that cost significantly more than $300, then you clearly haven't done your research, since you should not be looking at Ibanez and Yamaha.
ibanez acoustic guitars have been known to have holes(yes, actual holes in the guitar body), faulty electronics(that dont work), and horrible playability(there are millions of threads on this forum about getting fret buzz on new ibanez acoustics) straight from factory.

Yamaha wins. amazing playability, good sound.
Quote by A Tua Prima

As said, if your looking at Yamaha's your usually looking in that price range. Same with Ibanez. most people come looking for something in that price range and see the Ibanez's. However, there is a reason why there are no Ibanez's on that list, and there is a reason why there are a couple of Yamaha models on that list. Even if you are looking to spend a bit more, you can get a general idea of good brands from looking at that list.

Now, Ibanez have by far the worst quality control I have seen with acoustics. Sure, every brand is going to have its issues here and there and might let something slip through that shouldn't make it out of the factory. But the amount of times I have seen people lay down a few hundred on a brand new Ibanez, only to have fretbuzz all over the fretboard or electronics that dont work and then have to spend another few hundred on making it work... it's really not acceptable. I'd stay well away from their acoustic guitars.

Conversely, Yamaha have fantastic quality control and acoustic guitars that souund good and play well.

However, there are other brands that you should consider looking at. How much do you have to spend?
My Ibanez cutaway played well for the first four years or so. About a year ago I started to get some buzzing now and then and it's getting a little worse. I guess I need to bring it in and have it looked at.
I just got a Yamaha FG730S, and it plays MUCH better than Ibanez guitars of that price.
Saint Louis Blues
A Tua Prima,

I've been shopping for guitars as well, and while it won't be my first guitar, it'll be my first steel string acoustic and so I've had to do lots of homework to familiarize myself with all the makes and models. I have to say, like lots of others who are new to steel strings I was also looking at Ibanez guitars. They look really good from the pictures, there were a few in my price range, and so I picked one up at the guitar shop to try.

I had just spent the last half hour playing Yamahas (FG700S and FG730S). The Ibanez I picked up was stickered about $25 higher than the 730S. Sorry, I never noted the model because it only took me a moment to decide I didn't want it. I think it was an AW something. First thing I thought when I had it in my lap and was looking at it closely was... geez, it's pretty cheap looking - fit and finish couldn't hold a candle to the gorgeous sunburst 730S I had just put down.

I started to play it and couldn't believe the difference in sound, even after all the warnings on this and other forums about Ibanez acoustics. It sounded completely dead, no projection, no sustain. The Yamaha FG310 laminate tops could probably fill a room better than this thing. It was really disappointing, and it made me sad to think that countless people have thrown their money away on what basically amounts to an overpriced boat paddle.

So, ESPECIALLY if you've never played before, listen to these guys - unless they're all major shareholders of Yamaha, they have absolutely nothing to gain from advising against Ibanez - and even if they were, I'm sure they'd have better things to do than get on internet guitar forums and bash on that one brand alone. Because really, why should they care what guitar you end up with? It's your money to waste... oh right, YOU came on here asking for advice. So why aren't you taking it?
Well.. I have an ibanez 90$ acoustic guitar, and that guitar its just amazing. The sound is deep, strings keep tuned for months, and its awesome for travel ling, camps, etc. The downside its that action is high and strings are hard to press. This guitar is not recommended at all for beginners.

My friend has a yamaha 180-200 $ acoustic guitar (dont know the model) and its really adorable and comfortable to play, its very nice guitar for begginers. It has a brighter tone and overall its an awesome guitar, although its a more delicate guitar.

My recommendation: If you're a begginer the yamaha is your best friend. If you want a cheap nice, and good sounding travel ling guitar, ibanez.
Quote by A Tua Prima

His reply was helpful. He had no way of knowing whether or not you had read the thread he suggested. There is a lot of good information in that thread. Don't be rude.

What price range are you looking at?
i have played a couple yamaha acoustics and they feel good and sound great... but dont overlook ibanez's either... .....i hade the aef18 and i loved it.... sounded good.. i played a cpl acoustics from the artwood series and i was definately surprised, they are definatley underated and and overlooked ... if you can play a cpl of them to really see what you like man... or listen to them being played through a half decen mic online and get a feel for what you like the sound of more.. gl man
iM Get'n that fa sho!

play acoustic, jam hard

AiM - TheCarsonCity
It sounds like most people agree that yamahas are better acoustic guitars.
My price range is up to 500 but Id be happy to pay less
Quote by A Tua Prima
It sounds like most people agree that yamahas are better acoustic guitars.
My price range is up to 500 but Id be happy to pay less

The FG730S costed $300, but it has a solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides, and a rosewood bridge, all features found on more expensive guitars. I didn't play any of the more expensive ones, so I can't say anything about those.

But maybe you could also get a case, some strings and a tuner with the money saved?
Saint Louis Blues
i got a fg730s and man it was the best choice i made .. i played many acoustics at the store and i have to say i loved the yamaha