Hi, I have an electric guitar that is way too sensitive. When I pluck a string or try to do a solo or something, it picks up all the strings vibrating and isn't very good for a recording.

This guitar has a set of a couple EMG pickups on it, (It is also made by the company AXL). I know these pickups have got to have something wrong with them because some of them get bad hum and feedback.

Is there any way switching the pickups with new, better ones will help? Or is a guitar problem? Please help, and thanks.
Sounds like a technique problem to me. You need to mute the open strings to eliminate noise.
Lowering the pickups? Ok, I have not tried that yet, lol.

Can you tell me exactly how that is done? (Sorry for my pickup noobyness )
i know what you mean it cirtainly aint the pickups cos emgs are probably one of the best makes for pickups just do as he said and lower them
A lot of it could be your playing. Work on fret hand muting and cleaner playing to start with. Another likely cause is the output of the pickups, lowering them will reduce the output, but you may need to eventually invest in lower output pickups if those aren't working for you. Personally I liked the 'designed by EMG' pickups in the AXL's. Check the pickup wiring to make sure all the solder joints are good and all the necessary grounds are in tact. Finally, consider investing in a noise reduction system.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by kyrreca
Sounds like a technique problem to me. You need to mute the open strings to eliminate noise.

I do often try that. It does help but is still very stressful since i have to not mute the strings I'm plucking.
^ Try playing more smoothly so when you take your fingers off it naturally mutes the strings
Quote by Wavedude
I do often try that. It does help but is still very stressful since i have to not mute the strings I'm plucking.

It's a technique that takes a lot of time and patience to develop. As I mentioned, work on fret hand muting, in fact you should put at least as much effort into fret hand muting as you do into palm muting. Also work on making sure your picking is articulate and not generating excess noise by hitting other strings and work on making sure your fingering is articulate in much the same way.
if the pickups are active try replacing the battery
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
if the pickups are active try replacing the battery

The EMG labeled AXL pickups are passive.
what you use for effects may have a huge impact on this problem as it did for me. Along with my guitar also being overly sensitive, i lowered the pickups a small amount. The biggest results you may find is using a Noise gate. (be sure to have it at the end of the effects chain if you have one)
Quote by Wavedude

Yes, it's stressful, and it takes some time to learn. But you need good technique to become a good guitarist. It takes time to develop, but that's just how it is. All the gear in the world can't cover up bad technique.
Well thank you everyone for giving some great help and tips. I adjusted the pickups and now its allot smoother and isn't as sensitive. But of course its not perfect, I still need to mute the other strings and there still is a hum, but Ill just need to get a noise gate for that. So Now my guitar is doing ok! Awesome help guys, thank you.