So a few weeks ago i finally noticed ive been doing this bad habit. When id alternate pick scales, as im going down to the next string, i upstroke. Ive been doing this for a few months now without noticing and so now it seems like an unbreakable habit. I tried correcting myself many times (constantly just trying to practice picking the correct way) and i thought i finally had it. But then just now i noticed as im learning a new scale ive been doing it the whole time ive been playing today. Has anyone else ever had this habit? How long do you think it will take for me to break this stupid thing?
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
One of my friends said to the principle once,
"NO! The voices tell me not to talk to you!" *Runs away on all fours*
The principle eventually caught up to him and gave him a drug test.
It's easy to retain a bad habit if you forget to correct it all the time.

You can always break bad habits or at least mend them. Try going slow and focusing completely on your picking. I think when you speed it up your muscle memory forgets what you're trying to do and just relies on past patterns. So start slow and build up from there, though I know that's some cliche advice.
Quote by misfitsramones
lol i do that, for 3 note patterns, its fine... right?

It's fine if it's comfortable for you.
Quote by misfitsramones
lol yea, i dont mess up and i can go fast XD

lol, well there ya go.

As long as you don't see it becoming a foreseeable problem in the future, keep on rockin' it.
Quote by diminishedtobme
Is this when your acending or decending? or both?

Ony as im going towards the high e so... decending(?) As im coming back i pick without this habit though and i notice i go much faster and smoother.

Its more comfortable for me to do it with this 'habit' but i think it puts a speed cap on my playing so i cant go much faster than what im currently playing (which probably isnt that fast compared to most people on here)
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0
Quote by Archaon
It's easy to retain a bad habit if you forget to correct it all the time.

You can always break bad habits or at least mend them. Try going slow and focusing completely on your picking. I think when you speed it up your muscle memory forgets what you're trying to do and just relies on past patterns. So start slow and build up from there, though I know that's some cliche advice.

Haha best advice i got thanks

I think you may be right, ill definately try this... heres to hoping!
Quote by gu1t4rh3r0