do the higher models like the UX2 come with like the gold package of gearbox?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by kyrreca
My UX2 just came with the regular GearBox software.

i went on Line 6's site and clicked on some links and it brought me to musiciansfriend and the package comes with an interface kind of like the GX and it says the gold package on it.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I bought mine one and a half years ago, maybe they've changed it. I remember looking at the Line6 site and there was something about buying the Gold bundle with more models and stuff. Maybe that's included with the UX2 now.
link?

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by ugmung
do the higher models like the UX2 come with like the gold package of gearbox?

From what I have seen...

Nope they all come with standard GB but even so, its not worth spending the cash on IMO. Gearbox sounds too fake and digital to my ear.
You can use amplitube or other modeling programs with these interfaces. The larger interfaces only offer more inputs and the UX2 isnt worth the price since it mixes all the inputs to a single stereo track as thats all USB can handle.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249701

It doesnt mention the gold pack at all...
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
From what I have seen...

Nope they all come with standard GB but even so, its not worth spending the cash on IMO. Gearbox sounds too fake and digital to my ear.
You can use amplitube or other modeling programs with these interfaces. The larger interfaces only offer more inputs and the UX2 isnt worth the price since it mixes all the inputs to a single stereo track as thats all USB can handle.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX2-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249701

It doesnt mention the gold pack at all...

The UX2 has phantom power for the XLR input, which is valuable to some people.
i was thinking of just spending the money on a pocket pod and then run it through my GX

i heard that guitar rig or whatever those other interfaces are, are good.
what should i do?
because i cant get the right sound out of my GX, my first thought was to mic up my amp and run the mic through the GX, but i might need to sell my amp because i need some extra cash.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
I bought my UX2 in December and it comes with GB standard. It's fine for what I use it for (mainly practicing, but I record with a mic when I need to). It's a great little practice unit to use as you can plug headphones straight into it and get a pretty decent sound.

All the of the "metal" models on it suck imo. I use the JCM800 model with a Tubescreamer model over it for my metal sound and it's much better than the spinal puppet or insane model I think at least.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by kyrreca
The UX2 has phantom power for the XLR input, which is valuable to some people.

and yet for 200 you can get a better interface at the same price...with better preamps and phantom on both channels. (mackie onyx satellite) for example. on top of that its firewire compared to the toneports 1.1 usb link

The GX should work well with a pocket pod, I feel the real weak point of the Toneports is the gearbox software, it just didn't sound great to my ear. You can bypass that software and run the pod into it without any problem at all and will most likely get a much better sound.

I've said it many times and will say it again, it takes more than great gear to get great sound. You need to learn the tricks of the trade and your software/hardware to be able to get the most out of it.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 25, 2008,
i'm probably just going to get the pocket pod then.
i might just sell both cubes and get a bass and other stuff so i can have my own little mini studio for myself, that would be great.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
or you could sell the toneport and go for a standard POD which will stream audio down the USB cable like an interface. I know they record bass and guitar but im not sure they do vocals.

I still think a proper interface without any FX software other than those in your sequencer along with hardware pedals and amps is the best way to record a guitar and such.
Quote by moody07747
or you could sell the toneport and go for a standard POD which will stream audio down the USB cable like an interface. I know they record bass and guitar but im not sure they do vocals.

I still think a proper interface without any FX software other than those in your sequencer along with hardware pedals and amps is the best way to record a guitar and such.

all i have is my cube and my guitar.

i was also thinking of just mic'ing up my cube through the GX because i love the distortion i get out of it. and use gearbox for my cleans.
is that a possibility? i'm getting a mic soon so i havent tried it yet.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Ug, that's certainly a possibility. Just get a good preamp (ART MP is quite popular) so that the microphone signal is loud enough.

To be honest, I'm quite interested in the sounds that come out of Izotope's Trash...using a decent interface like the Mackie or a FastTrack to record into the computer should produce good enough sounds get some good distortions out of it.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Ug, that's certainly a possibility. Just get a good preamp (ART MP is quite popular) so that the microphone signal is loud enough.

To be honest, I'm quite interested in the sounds that come out of Izotope's Trash...using a decent interface like the Mackie or a FastTrack to record into the computer should produce good enough sounds get some good distortions out of it.

im not familiar on how those work...
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Microphone -> Preamp -> Toneport GX. Microphone to preamp needs an XLR cable, Preamp to Toneport is 1/4 or TRS cable. Preamps amplify a microphone signal so it's useable...it's as easy as adjusting a volume.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Microphone -> Preamp -> Toneport GX. Microphone to preamp needs an XLR cable, Preamp to Toneport is 1/4 or TRS cable. Preamps amplify a microphone signal so it's useable...it's as easy as adjusting a volume.

i mean the oter interfaces, but thanks anyway.
lol.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Oh, just plug those interfaces to the computer...USB or Firewire. Then stick microphones or guitars into it. If you don't have firewire, you can grab a Firewire pci card and stick it in your computer.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by Fast_Fingers
Oh, just plug those interfaces to the computer...USB or Firewire. Then stick microphones or guitars into it. If you don't have firewire, you can grab a Firewire pci card and stick it in your computer.

whats the benefit to this?
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30

Quote by Bentheemo
Interfaces bypass your stock sound card, (which was never made to record in the first place) and will give much better recording quality. The Toneports are interfaces, just cheaper ones...but they work.

I have had a micro cube for a while now and found that the best way to record those small amps is to run a line out the "record out' at the back of the amp. The manual even suggests this to get the proper tone out of it all but its all personal preference.

As for interfaces, look though this:
http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

(theres 6 pages)