one day I will own this guitar. but anyone know where to find it, or how much it is?
I found one used for $400

I went down to Guitar Center to try one out.
Pretty crappy.

And I just came out with my ESP LTD Viper-400 that day
Much better in my opinion
^ you didnt find a gibson zack wylde les paul for 400 dollars.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
If you bought it, you would be letting your 'Original Guitarist' tag down.

You could probably find one for like 3500 ish?

Unless you want to get the Epiphone. It's like 800 bucks.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by jake911
ITs probably the epiphone version that he saw.

I thought their only model was made by epiphone.
I wouldnt get it, because playing it instantly increases your "Tool level"

IMO, get the epiphone and put a set of real Emgs
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
The epi has the 81/85 combo in it
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Quote by Teh GIR
I wouldnt get it, because playing it instantly increases your "Tool level"

IMO, get the epiphone and put a set of real Emgs

How so? I don't understand this logic that using a signature guitar automatically makes you unoriginal, or a 'tool' in this case. If I like Zakk Wylde, and I like his guitars, why not? Sure, getting a normal Gibson Les Paul Custom may suffice, but if I really love this guitar, and the name on it, so what? Am I tool because I get enjoyment out of something that has someones name on it?
Be cool.
Quote by .Jamison
No, it has passive EMGs. specifically, the worst passives EMG ever ever made; HZ4 and HZ4A.

I really wish people would stop coming on here and saying that [X] guitar has X Y and Z when it doesn't. I've lost count now of how many times I've seen people advising others on a guitar's specs and get them completely wrong.
It's not like it's even hard to just go to the website for the guitar and look the specs up. There's simply no excuse for **** like this.

The Zakk Wylde LPs, both Gibson and Epiphone, are a waste of money. Here's why:

Epiphone:
Though it's listed as a Custom (higher grade wood and Korean-made) it's actually a Standard (lower grade wood and Chinese-made), with really bad passive EMG pickups which are worse on all levels than even the usual Epiphone stock pickups. Other than that, you also get the custom finishes, and one of the ZW LPs (the Camo one) comes with a maple fretboard, the only Epiphone LP which does. That's it. So you're paying usually around an extra hundred, for a guitar with inferior wood, inferior pickups, and a finish that instantly shows everyone you bought a signature guitar (not something you want to be showing off). The only reason to ever buy one of the Epiphone Zakk Wylde LPs is if you're really desperate to go "I have a guitar that looks kind of like one of the ones Zakk Wylde used once, CRUSHING!".

Gibson:
Almost the exact same case. Lower grade wood and the custom finish (which if anything, is a negative) are the only special elements. Yes, the Gibson version does come with active EMG pickups - but those cost under a couple of hundred for the pair. Do you really think having £160 worth of pickups installed stock justifies a £700 price increase? I ****ing don't. Again, the Camo version gets the maple fretboard (which could be a decent selling point since it's pretty rare on LPs to have maple - but most people buying this would likely prefer the tone of the ebony or rosewood fretboards on other LPs anyway), and the final selling point being the unfinished neck - but you can get the same effect as this yourself just with a bit of steel wool.

With the Gibson version, you're basically paying around an extra thousand (depending on the country) for lower grade wood and a couple of extras that barely total a few hundred.

And to me, the worst part is, they're not even limited production - they're just going to be made forever, so there's nothing special about them. They can't even be called collector's items - at least the Joe Perry, Slash, Tony Iommi and Jimmy Page models are done in limited runs so they have some historical and collection value.

In both the case of the Gibson and Epiphone versions, you can duplicate the guitars exactly by buying the Standard from each brand, and just changing the pickups yourself. Congratulations, you now have a guitar that's higher spec than the Zakk Wylde LPs, for half the price!
Quote by thedude051
How so? I don't understand this logic that using a signature guitar automatically makes you unoriginal, or a 'tool' in this case. If I like Zakk Wylde, and I like his guitars, why not? Sure, getting a normal Gibson Les Paul Custom may suffice, but if I really love this guitar, and the name on it, so what? Am I tool because I get enjoyment out of something that has someones name on it?

+1

remember too that the original les paul WAS A SIG MODEL! yet it became the standard as the rock guitar...plus i want that slash LP standard, does that make me a tool?
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Waaay overpriced. Buy an ice cream instead.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Axe Murderer
yeeeth

i think i hate you
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
+1

remember too that the original les paul WAS A SIG MODEL! yet it became the standard as the rock guitar...plus i want that slash LP standard, does that make me a tool?

No. The Les Paul was never a god damned signature, so people like you need to stop saying that. He designed the guitar, so they gave it his name. It wasn't a copy of any guitar he was well-known for playing (like with most signature models now, and the Zakk Wylde LP in question) and he never really played one. Much like Jackson with Randy Rhoads (though different circumstances), it's not the same thing.

And no, it doesn't make you a tool. It makes you unoriginal.
Last edited by Delanoir at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by bokuho

Though it's listed as a Custom (higher grade wood and Korean-made) it's actually a Standard (lower grade wood and Chinese-made), with really bad passive EMG pickups which are worse on all levels than even the usual Epiphone stock pickups.

And please give us a source for this? I'm curious.
Quote by Delanoir
No. The Les Paul was never a god damned signature, so people like you need to stop saying that. He designed the guitar, so they gave it his name. It wasn't a copy of any guitar he was well-known for playing (like with most signature models now, and the Zakk Wylde LP in question) and he never really played one. Much like Jackson with Randy Rhoads (though different circumstances), it's not the same thing.

les paul designed the LP shape and sold it under contract to gibson (under which he used it exclusively until the change of the gold top design without his knowlegde), which makes it a sig guitar... BTW, I'm terribly sorry a laiho fanboy thinks im unoriginal
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Delanoir

If you are referring to Lester Polsfuss not really ever playing the Les Paul, then please, just go...Not only that, but your logic surrounding the Les Paul not being a signature is completely wrong. For God Sake man, he played it, it had his name on it, what more do you want?
Be cool.
Quote by shredhead22
les paul designed the LP shape and sold it under contract to gibson (under which he used it exclusively until the change of the gold top design without his knowlegde), which makes it a sig guitar... BTW, I'm terribly sorry a laiho fanboy thinks im unoriginal

Quote by thedude051
If you are referring to Lester Polsfuss not really ever playing the Les Paul, then please, just go...Not only that, but your logic surrounding the Les Paul not being a signature is completely wrong. For God Sake man, he played it, it had his name on it, what more do you want?

You seem to misunderstand what I was inferring between how the Les Paul came to be, and how signature guitars have evolved into what they are now.

What I was saying is that the way it is now, most signature guitars are basically (in varying quality) replicas of whatever guitar the musician in question has become well known for playing (like the Slash, or Zakk Wylde), rather than a completely new design (like aforementioned LP, and RR).

And yes, I admire Alexi Laiho, but it's far from fanboyism (the user title, and sig quote, are a joke amongst metal forum friends). I would not buy a signature guitar. That is what I feel would make one unoriginal to do.
Last edited by Delanoir at Apr 28, 2008,
Quote by Joey Radical
Waaay overpriced. Buy an ice cream instead.

amen

Gain makes everything better! Break a leg? Here, lets put some distortion on it!

Quote by boreamor
I played We Are Family at an orphanage.
I'm banned.

Quote by Hops44
"If I wanted your lip I'd wiggle my zipper."
Quote by Delanoir

I would not buy a signature guitar. That is what I feel would make one unoriginal to do.

I bought the Schecter Loomis because it has an ash body, satin finish, and maple fretboard, and that happened to be what I was looking for in a guitar. The fact that it is a signature guitar makes it more accessible for people like me who do not have $2000 for a custom guitar. Simply buying a signature guitar doesn't make you unoriginal, nor does it imply that you are trying to be the next Zakk Wylde or Jeff Loomis simply from buying their signature model. Be it that Zakk's guitar doesn't offer much more than a gaudy paint job and Emgs compared to the LP custom, simply attaching this stigma that anyone who buys a signature guitar is a poser and a fool is quite ignorant.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by lespaulrocks39
I bought the Schecter Loomis because it has an ash body, satin finish, and maple fretboard, and that happened to be what I was looking for in a guitar. The fact that it is a signature guitar makes it more accessible for people like me who do not have $2000 for a custom guitar. Simply buying a signature guitar doesn't make you unoriginal, nor does it imply that you are trying to be the next Zakk Wylde or Jeff Loomis simply from buying their signature model. Be it that Zakk's guitar doesn't offer much more than a gaudy paint job and Emgs compared to the LP custom, simply attaching this stigma that anyone who buys a signature guitar is a poser and a fool is quite ignorant.

Fair enough, there are of course no absolutes.

Schecters are almost always a good price, and usually worth every dollar.

What I was talking more about was the ones where you pay a lot extra simply for the musician's name and/or custom paintjob.
Quote by Delanoir

What I was talking more about was the ones where you pay a lot extra simply for the musician's name and/or custom paintjob.

Bullsh1t you were when you berated me over the Slash sig. If you're gonna be a dick then have balls to stick to your story
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
Bullsh1t you were when you berated me over the Slash sig. If you're gonna be a dick then have balls to stick to your story

Actually, my argument has never changed.

I have always been differentiating "signatures" where the artist creates a new guitar along with a company, rather than having them replicate one they've used for some time already.

And I never berated you all I said was that buying Slash's Gibson (which falls under the case of it being a replica of an already well-known and used guitar) is pretty unoriginal. But you don't have to be so sensitive about it.
Actually I think he is correct, considering his argument is based on the Gibson ZW custom, which is clearly overpriced, and offers little to nothing over the Gibson LP custom. The value of a signature guitar is based on what it has to offer over the model it is based on. There are good ones, and not so good ones. I would hope the craftsmanship on something like a Slash, Jimmy Page, or Zakk Wylde les paul is higher than a Gibson standard or custom. Though I think they are made in the custom shop, not sure about that though.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by bokuho
No, it has passive EMGs. specifically, the worst passives EMG ever ever made; HZ4 and HZ4A.

You do not know the pain until you have played EMG Selects. Dear God.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Because that's just an Epiphone that you put EMGs in and decorated? A Gibson truss cover does not a quality guitar make.
^^^A fake epiphone, at that.

The Les Paul IS a signature model. No ifs ands or buts

The Jimmy Page sig LP that came out recently wasn't a copy of an old guitar. Before somebody comes in and says "but Page played one before". Yes, it's almost identical, but they stressed when it was released that it wasn't a reissue of his old BB.

To the guy sayin that a Custom shop Gibson is cheaply made, I've just gotta give him a cyber kick to the balls. True the Epi's are pretty well a joke, but a Gibson would rip your f'in head off.

I wouldn't want it's over the top paint job, but it's ultimately no different than me having a sunburst LP and loving Jimmy Page, or having a silverburst LP and loving Tool.
Quote by .Jamison

No it has Hzs the Gibson has 81/85s

Epi=600-700

Gibby=6000 about
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
Epiphone version is ok due to it's price and neck slimmer than most LP. But... Gibson version is a total waste. I don't even like the white decals, cream is the way to go!

You'd be much better off buying a Gibson Standard and set his pair of EMGs on them.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R