So, let's assume you're the lead guitarist and you want to decide whether or not to use arpeggios or simply play on a scale during various parts of a song- what is your deciding factor? Do you use arpeggios over the rhythm guitar during verse and play on a scale during the solo or do you tend to use scales for the entirety of a song? Are arpeggios even necessary in lead writing, or are they just 'safe bets' when playing over rhythm? I'm at a relatively intermediate level player, but I have little to no experience with writing. I need a good "rule of thumb" answer, if you guys have any common wisdom on this issue. Where should I start when writing lead guitar over rhythm guitar and in solos and what direction should I work towards?
Weapons of choice-
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Favorite genre-

Hard Rock
Hair Metal
Classic Metal
J-Rock

Just let it flow. You don't need to 'write' lead guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^+1

Depends on the song and your own interpretation of the music. If two guys were asked to write a lead guitar part over a rhythm, they would write it in completely different ways.
Arpeggios are based on scales. And it depends, some songs I have a part arpeggiating a chord, while my rhythm guitarist is playing the chord, say in 7th with an open high E. But on other songs I have a "lead" part where I am soloing/playing scales and modes over the rhythm
Quote by sum_ugly_man
Arpeggios are based on scales. And it depends, some songs I have a part arpeggiating a chord, while my rhythm guitarist is playing the chord, say in 7th with an open high E. But on other songs I have a "lead" part where I am soloing/playing scales and modes over the rhythm

hmmm arent arpeggios based on chords?
And to TS, a mix of both would soung good
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Popsai
hmmm arent arpeggios based on chords?
And to TS, a mix of both would soung good

which are based on scales.
Surely you wouldn't just play an arpeggio or scale over rhythm...
I would have thought using a scale (or the notes from the arpeggio) to improvise (or write, if you are that kind of player) over it would sound better...
Adam
Quote by adzlee123
Surely you wouldn't just play an arpeggio or scale over rhythm...
I would have thought using a scale (or the notes from the arpeggio) to improvise (or write, if you are that kind of player) over it would sound better...

Of course you wouldn't just play the arpeggio or the scale. You'd obviously change the way you played the arpeggio (unless sweeping) and mix up the scales(s).
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
whatever sounds good...

Line 6 Spider Valve 212

Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah