Hullo, I searched, and i found rakes of threads on putting in a series / parrallel switch, and various other mods, but got bored looking for this.

My question is: Can you re wire a strat, using exactly the same components, so that the switch and three knobs all function in the same way they do normally, but the pickups are in series ?
Sorry to be one of these folk that bumps their own crappy thread cos no one's interested, If it makes any difference I am actually seriously considering doing this.
Quote by jimRH7
Sorry to be one of these folk that bumps their own crappy thread cos no one's interested, If it makes any difference I am actually seriously considering doing this.
No apology necessary. You waited a whole week. That was more than respectful.
Some of the morons here bump their thread in 20 minutes if they don't get a reply.

The standard Fender switch and the ones on the copies are peculiar.
They only have two "poles"
and three "throws" for each pole.
These throws correspond to positions 1, 3, and 5.
In position 2 and 4 the adjacent throws are shorted together.
Position 2 connects the pole to throw 1 AND throw 3
Position 4 connects the pole to throw 3 AND throw 5

This works well for parallel wiring but not for series wiring.
You CAN use a 4 pole, 5 throw superswitch and do series wiring
with the same combinations on a Strat.

But with a standard Fender switch, your options are limited for series wiring.
You can do a few interesting things, but the stock combos won't happen.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
OK, thanks. that was dead helpful. I think i'll have to have a look at the bottom of the actual switch before i fully understand what's going on, but i can see why you couldn't do series wiring with it like that, although i've seen mods where you add a switch to switch the middle pickup alone into series, And keep all the other electronics as they are, Could I just wire it sos there's no second switch, and the middle pickup is always in series?
you could replace one of your pots on your strat with a rotary pot. they have 5, 6, and 8 way switches available.

oh, you could also replace your switch with a three way tele switch. wire it up so the middle pickup is always connected first you'd get:

M*N , M*(N+B) , M*B. you could also rewire one of the tone pots to work as a blend for the middle pickup in series, so then with it turned all the way down, you'd get N, N+B, B.

total of six wiring combos.
STUFFZ:
SAGA ST10, IBANEZ(s): '96 ZR140BK (korea), '96 RX20 (indonesia)
Danelectro Cool Cat CC1 Chorus
Digitech Bad Monkey
Behringer BX1800A (180w 12" aluminum cone)
FOR SALE: Fender Champion 110 (25w RMS combo 10" with tank reverb)
Last edited by jedilley at May 3, 2008,
yeah, but they all involve new components, I'm talking about doing it solely with what's already there.
I'm posting a new thread with some of the recent experiments in wiring I've done, you may find one of them to be an interesting idea for you. neither of them involved buying new components.
STUFFZ:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by forsaknazrael
the middle pickup is always in series? For it to be in series, it has to be in series with another pickup.

Fact of the matter is...you WILL have to get a new component to put any of your pickups in series.

Yeah, I meant always in series with the bridge, that's what the webpage i was reading said.
um... you CAN get series wiring without any extra parts. Didn't I uh, point that out?
STUFFZ:
Digitech Bad Monkey
OK, the reason I want it to be the same controls and the same compnonets is because it's not my guitar and I don't want to hand it back to the person i borrowed it from, and none of their knobs work the way there supposed to.
Quote by jimRH7
OK, the reason I want it to be the same controls and the same compnonets is because it's not my guitar and I don't want to hand it back to the person i borrowed it from, and none of their knobs work the way there supposed to.

Whoa, WHOA, WHOA!

Don't even THINK about messing with the wiring on someone else's guitar.

I'm sooooooo done with this one.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
yeah, all the knobs and the jack are loose, and the neck pickup doesn't work at all. I just thought while i'm in there i could add a wee bit to it.