THE epic pick showdown:

VS

so what are peoples preferences? ive been using 2mm stubbies exclusively for a year, but 2 days ago i found my local shop had run out, so i bought some jazz iiis instead.
to me im finding the stubbies easier for lead work and especially sweeping, the jazz iii seems to be grwoing on me though and seems just as comfortable for rythm work...

discuss
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Jazz IIIs hands down, no contest.

I despise stubbies, they're way too big in my hand.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
i bought a few jaz IIIs after everyone here raved about them. theyre allright, but going back to big plecs feels a tad wierd
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I like my Jazz III's and thats the way it should be!

I tried stubbys...but i duno... something about them....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Jazz IIIs

The tips of the Stubbys wear out after one or two shows. I have been playing the same Jazz III for 2 months straight.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
Jazz IIIs

The tips of the Stubbys wear out after one or two shows. I have been playing the same Jazz III for 2 months straight.

yeah that is true...they are pretty much unusable after a few days
thats one of the reasons ive been playing with some new jazz iiis, to see if i like them and perhaps not have all my funds sucked up by picks in the future lol
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by Bloodshed
...The tips of the Stubbys wear out after one or two shows...
Word.

I burn up my Jazz IIIs pretty quick, but no where near as fast as I can kill a stubby.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I prefer stubbys, jazzes theyre ok, but i prefer the plastic and pointyness and size of the smaller stubbies, only problem is they wear out if you look at them funny.
I prefer the Jazz IIIs or even better the Ultex Jazz IIIs, they're a perfect size and an optimum shape for picking IMO.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I use 3mm Big Stubbies for lead and Jazz IIIs for rhythm.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
Quote by FLCLcowdude
I use 3mm Big Stubbies for lead and Jazz IIIs for rhythm.

I'm not the only one I love the big stubbies for lead.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
i preffer really thin picks
the atack of thin picks is more clean and "clicky"
my favorites are the gator grip 0.58 and the ultex 0.60
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I like Jazz III's the best. I tried the Stubby's and didn't like them at all.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Out of those two, the Jazz III's. But in all honesty, my favorite picks are Ibanez Wizard Sandpaper 1mm picks.

Nice and pointy, big enough to hold (unlike the Jazz III's which feel just a tad too small for me), and no chance of them slipping from my hand (due too sweating for example) because of the sandpaper grip.
Jazz III, feels like you're not even holding a pick. It's godly.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
I use Jazz III's against my own will. They're kind of a pain because i occasionally hit my index finger against the strings and they aren't as easy to grip for rhythm work. But i cant use any other pick because it doesn't feel right!

I'm not REALLY complaining as i quite like Jazz III's. Theres just a couple of inconveniences about them.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
I use Jazz III's against my own will. They're kind of a pain because i occasionally hit my index finger against the strings and they aren't as easy to grip for rhythm work. But i cant use any other pick because it doesn't feel right!

I'm not REALLY complaining as i quite like Jazz III's. Theres just a couple of inconveniences about them.

Kickass avatar.

And yeah, I'm exactly the same way. I love using the Jazz III's, just sometimes they can be really annoying. I actually think they're harder to sweep with.... *shrugs*
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Poll! Poll! Poll!

ok, no poll.

JazzIII always - everything seems right about them - i like the red ones slightly more.
jazz 3, no contest. tried stubbies, but they just didnt have that transparent feel which you get when using jazz 3s. with a jazz 3 you dont even think about your pick, you just play
So, black or red? Who else agrees that the XL ones are crap?
Last edited by Horlicks at Apr 26, 2008,
...I just use a normal fucking pick.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Jazz III. Black.

At first I didn't like them, but after using them for a week now, I love them over anything else.
Both because of their sound, and their playability.
Stubbys are a little smaller, and that's too small for me. Also they sound badder imo, and I don't feel the same type of control, that I feel when using Jazz III picks
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Actually, I prefer the Tortex Jazz III's to the normal ones.

In black. Red Jazz III's are a close second though. I use them alot for acoustic stuff too.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
can't stand the red ones, my hands are way to big. puts alot of strain on the fingers as you have to hold them so tightly, and at a weird angle. I'm not sure which size it is all the virtusios use though
Quote by Horlicks
So, black or red? Who else agrees that the XL ones are crap?

Red for sure. I never tried the XL's, I spent so long hunting them down that I just got used to the smaller ones and now it's all I use.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Semi Final round:

Black vs. red jazz III's...I play a lot faster with the reds, they don't has as much friction with the string and they have a smoother attack. Red wins.

Stubby 2.0's vs. Stubby 3.0s... Stubby 3's are a bit round, feel like your holding a jellybean instead of a pick but when you get used to them they amazing. Best lead guitar pick IMO. Good attack, not Jazz III attack, but more than most picks, ultra smooth picking like it has 0 resistance with the strings allowing for the 16+nps alternate picked runs. The 3.0s take forever to wear out, I've had one for over a year, use it for 2+ hours a day for about 6 days a week still has the point on it.

Final Round: Red Jazz III's vs. Stubby 3.0

I can't decide, some days I prefer one over the other.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
jazz iii's are why I can play what i can play. no other pick, including the stubby, allows me the control for rhythm and lead that I need. flat picks feel like table tennis paddles and stubbys just don't do the trick for me. i picked up jazz iiis maybe 2 years ago and i've never looked back.