so my band has its first gig tonight at the kid hangout coffee shop place, and i just needed some tips/pointers. i play bass, btw. our setlist goes:

1- say it aint so
2- diet a & w * (punk/reggae/ska sounding)
3- fabric * (pop punk, mainstream)
4- here's to the night
5- fresh prince theme (for lulz, obv.)
6- smells like teen spirit
7- dos* (outro alternative jam)

* indicates original

we were also thinking of doing some rough acoustic stuff and larger than life by the backstreet boys, also for some lulz. also, i sing on one of the songs (fabric).

so pit, any tips for us?
Look like your enjoying yourselves, if you **** up dont let audience know by your facial emotions (they probably wont tell the difference)...
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
um scrap teen spirit, dont mess up, have fun, and if you do mess up try not to let it show, just go with it
Too much lulz.

Serious tip, for god's sake MOVE! There's nothing I hate more than seeing a bass player who just stands still nodding his head. Look like you're enjoying yourself and your audience will as well.
seriously smells like teen spirit? dude every hates that song lol.. sorry but good luck and just have fun out there
Passion Before Fashion

---------------------------------------------------------
Ibanez S470DQXM
Amp Fund 0/300
----------------------------------------------------------
Quote by helper1234
Too much lulz.

Serious tip, for god's sake MOVE! There's nothing I hate more than seeing a bass player who just stands still nodding his head. Look like you're enjoying yourself and your audience will as well.

FTW
Quote by helper1234
Too much lulz.

+1
Too much lulz, they'll think you're serious about some of it XD.

Anyway, I can't really offer advice cuz i dont have a band yet, but good luck!
Quote by One on Sunday
hmmm looks like a lot of your songs are just for "lulz"

either that or he's covering his embaressment.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
Quote by MustangMan311
WTF is with bands playing cover songs?

Gives a the audience a chance to hear a song they know, especially if the band playing the cover isnt a well known band.
Gear:
Electric
Yamaha RGX520
Fender Strat HSS

Acoustic
1952 Martin and Co 00-18.
Yamaha FGX730SCA

Amp
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Amp FM25 DSP

Pedals
Boss DS-1
next time, write more original stuff instead of doing covers half of the gig. one cover is enough.

if you're gonna cover anything, make it holy diver by killswitch =P
The best thing about life is knowing you put it together
Quote by helper1234

Serious tip, for god's sake MOVE!

GREAT ADVICE! Go through a couple of the songs a make an effort to move around. If you think you are jumping around like a complete idiot, then you're probably getting close to moving enough.

Also, I think its a classy move to fart into the mic right off the bat!!
Guitar & Bass
Quote by ArmedForBattle
seriously smells like teen spirit? dude every hates that song lol.. sorry but good luck and just have fun out there

Infact everybody else expect guitars seem to love it.
鋼の錬金術師
Quote by Hosscat
GREAT ADVICE! Go through a couple of the songs a make an effort to move around. If you think you are jumping around like a complete idiot, then you're probably getting close to moving enough.

Also, I think its a classy move to fart into the mic right off the bat!!

That sure will grip the audience more than Smells Like Teen Spirit.
remember, music is about expressing emotions, feelings. so when you get on stage move around, it doesnt have to be leaping across the stage and ****, just move around. Feel the music, dont just play it, feel it. if you look like ur enjoying urself, then the audience will. oh, and get better songs. the ones you have are basic songs which are overplayed, if you are going to do covers make sure they are good ones. like the classics
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Awww, thanks Frenchy

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

Hate humans? Click here
play The Thing that Should Not Be. great for a coffee shop!
Quote by IwannaBeSadated

I would have any sort of sex with any sort of animal.

Quote by MetalMegaMan
holy diver by killswitch =P

Oh dear.

On Topic: I think people have covered your setlist, but how come you're here on UG? If it's your first gig don't you want to practice as much as you can?
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Quote by MetalMegaMan
if you're gonna cover anything, make it holy diver by killswitch =P

I'd much rather hear the original. The cover by Killswitch makes me want to kill the radio.
Quote by MustangMan311
WTF is with bands playing cover songs?

The fact they might not be good enough to write their own yet. Or that they haven't been together that long. They're just having a laugh, they're not that serious, they haven't got much chemistry atm.

A wide range of reasons really.
hey we just got done a bit ago, didnt do half bad, and the crowd seemed to like it. btw, the reason we did those songs is because everyone would know them and be able t song along, etc... but yeah. were working on a lot more originals, and we do practice quite often. also, the place we played was like a kids hangout, so the ages of concert goers were probably 9-17.
nothing wrong with covers as long as you wouldnt get dirty looks in guitar center for playing them "cough" nirvana "cough"
I'm so hip your grandpa broke me.
Quote by MetalMegaMan
next time, write more original stuff instead of doing covers half of the gig. one cover is enough.

if you're gonna cover anything, make it holy diver by Dio =P

Fixed.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Dude. Rick Roll your skewl.

I say play 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot' by Pat Benetar, everybody would know it and to have a guy sing it would be lulzy.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My first gig is in 2 weeks at a battle of the bands hosted by a local community organization type of thing. We get 25 minutes per band, which is probably about 4-5 songs, as it's including set up time I think. Should be pretty fun, providing we aren't opening.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
do some songs from guitar hero so the (insert word(s) of choice) will know what your preforming.....