I just thought I'd throw this out here, 'cos I know some of you guys really like Shawn Lane's playing.

This is a short lived project that he was a part of along with Swedish bass virtuoso Jonas Hellborg and drummer Jeff Sipe. They usually played mostly improvised sets. I have incredible respect for Shawn Lane's godly playing skills, but I was never really a fan of his music frankly. A player like him in my opinion really shines when playing as part of a musical group that heavily relies on improvisation and high octane jams. That said, the music made by The Trio is on par with and breaks new ground drawing form older such jazz fusion trios like the Trio of Doom (McLaughlin/Pastorius/Williams) or the Trio Beyond (John Scofield/Jack DeJohnette/Larry Golding). Incredible live music.

I will never ever forget seeing Shawn Lane, Jonas Hellborg and drummer Andrea Marchesini when they played in Calcutta, India, way back in 2003 just a few years short of his death. It was one of the most memorable gigs that I'd been to, and had a profound impact on me, 'cos I had just started getting into playing guitar then.

In any case for all those interested in acquiring live material by The Trio, PM me, and I could hook you up.

Peace,
S.
I have Personae,Abstract Logic,Time is the Enemy and Temporal Analogues of Paradise!
The last beeing my favourite jam of all times! Insane how they go from fast temo fusion to some mid tempo heart braking almost ballad like music! Ill i have to say i worship them!
another proof that the UG shred forum lacks in people who listent quality music! Most are DT fans or some other crapy alter wanabe prog music!

i mean coheed and cambria have more replys than this thread! disgrace!!!!
Quote by torturer6067
another proof that the UG shred forum lacks in people who listent quality music! Most are DT fans or some other crapy alter wanabe prog music!

i mean coheed and cambria have more replys than this thread! disgrace!!!!

Dude... Grow up.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
TAOP is an amazing album
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Huuuuge Lane fan here.... i love all his stuff, though my personal favourite period was Shawn's solo stuff.

Quote by Axegrinder#9
I will never ever forget seeing Shawn Lane, Jonas Hellborg and drummer Andrea Marchesini when they played in Calcutta, India, way back in 2003 just a few years short of his death. It was one of the most memorable gigs that I'd been to, and had a profound impact on me, 'cos I had just started getting into playing guitar then.

Was that at the 'Calcutta School of Music', the 'Landmark Music Store', 'Some Place Else', 'Nazrul Manch', or 'Tripura House'?

Quote by Axegrinder#9
In any case for all those interested in acquiring live material by The Trio, PM me, and I could hook you up.

Any show in perticular?

WJ.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
yeah it was the one at Nazrul Manch - how'd you know of these?

I'm quite flamiliar with most of Shawn's (noted) Live shows over his career (especially the ones that were recorded in some way), and have a load of his gig info and dates floating around in my head.

Nazrul Manch was on the 10th Feb 2003.... a few days before this was shot :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ENBw9F5kwhA

Pretty much every day of my life evolves around Shawn, in one way or another.... either editing/re-authoring his gigs, collecting his gigs, recordings, or anything to do with him.... and of course watching/listening to his music.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
yea wow that's awesome, I got to see this amazing human being really up and close.

I have 2 shows with the trio: one at Tramps, Ny and the other at Cafe tattoo in baltimore

Tramps, New York (on the last day of 96), was an awesome show, great sound quality (from the soundboard)... Shawn's playing was awesome, and he had a good tone for that show.