Hey about 4 years ago for some reason i bought a vintage metal axxe raider, i cant really remember why maybe because i was 12-13 and liked the paint colour : / but anyway im going to start learning again after having to quit for a while, just wondered what would be a good replacement i can buy later this year, so far ive looked at building my own strat, buying a strat, a les paul and only VERY briefly looked at Ibanez guitars. any reasoning and recommendations would be great, also does my raider have any value now days it has a large chip in on edge when some kid kicked it: / thanks for any replies sorry for the wall of text.

InfernoUk
/facepalm.
Why do you want a Les Paul or a Strat? Have you played other guitar from different brands in the same price range? If not, go and do so.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
im not sure, my knowledge is limited so i asked a friend that owns them as well as a gibson SG and he said they were his favorite and he plays alot of guitars but im open to suggestions rather than criticisms
You're probably gonna need to tell us what kinda music you'll be playing.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
get a strat with a single coil in the neck and middle, and with a double on the bridge, its the most vertasile guitar you can get,, theyre gret too, i have one!
1. What kind of music do you play?

2. What's your budget?

3. What amp do you currently have?
first off look at what style you want because different guitars are made for different styles , ie les paul is more bluesy while strats are more classic rock, ibanez is for shredding (from whit ive seen) and is also used by a couple guitar virtuosos (Vai, Satch to name a few), dean is a mainstream metals gold mine, while ESPs are for hard core metals most of the time ( however they will go all out on customization so you could get any style you want), and a plethera of other guitar companies which means you just got to llok around for the one you like, the next thing you want is tone which varies from guitar to guitar, thirdly youll want to go with feel because if it doesnt feel good youll give up and stop playing it, and lastly (actually now that i think about it Firstly) price range is key for what you are gonna buy, if you cant afford it dont look into the price range area
Quote by Ichimaru
/facepalm.
Why do you want a Les Paul or a Strat? Have you played other guitar from different brands in the same price range? If not, go and do so.

"any reasoning and recommendations would be great"
He never said he specifically wanted an LP or a Strat. Those are just the types of guitars he's been looking at.

TS, what do you play? Budget? Amp?
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
so strat is a good choice? itll probably be a range but to be sure its not boring i like to play RATM and some other random songs, as i say i am still fairly new after having begun from scratch for the 3rd time so it will be for learning as well as end playing, i wont be buying for a few months as im getting a car first but then its all to go on a guitar and ill be learning from now till then however without a teacher ill probably progress fairly slowly
price isnt a massive issue but im not looking to spend over £500 however thats flexible if i want and my amp isnt worth mentioning as it is a small practice amp but that will also be upgraded fully when i think im good enough to need it
well the teacher comment was completely un needed because its all relative to your skill ive never been taught and im better than other people i know in my playing time (roughly 10 months but im pretty advanced so.. dont take the time at face value) also this site speeds up the learning process alot, also if price isnt an issue (also im not in europe so im not sure about what an average guitar costs over there so im sorry i cant reallly relate prices) you should go for something with a nice alround tone if you play random stuff or if you play alot of alt stuff just get a cheap esp with active emgs, becase im pretty sure they are one of the few companies who come stock with actives on cheaper model ( im not sure so if some one has a little more solid infromation please correct me). but like i said look around for something that feels good to you thats why i got my razorback because other guitars are like toys compared to me (not by much plus the razorback is and all around good guitar)
Quote by F8iscruel
well the teacher comment was completely un needed because its all relative to your skill ive never been taught and im better than other people i know in my playing time (roughly 10 months but im pretty advanced so.. dont take the time at face value) also this site speeds up the learning process alot, also if price isnt an issue (also im not in europe so im not sure about what an average guitar costs over there so im sorry i cant reallly relate prices) you should go for something with a nice alround tone if you play random stuff or if you play alot of alt stuff just get a cheap esp with active emgs, becase im pretty sure they are one of the few companies who come stock with actives on cheaper model ( im not sure so if some one has a little more solid infromation please correct me). but like i said look around for something that feels good to you thats why i got my razorback because other guitars are like toys compared to me (not by much plus the razorback is and all around good guitar)

thanks for the reply, i said about teaching because i find it hard to see what im doing wrong when i play and if you practice it wrong and learn it wrong then there you go and im alot like that but i guess ill be ok if i can find a good guide and enough time, i think i may be wrong but isnt the razorback a spiky metal style guitar? if so i dont want anything like that as it would look out of place when i play and im not a fan of metal style guitars, i was looking at a gibson SG but i know NOTHING about them so ill take a look, also i want to branch into punk alternative and rock later on as im not a big fan of metal over these types. thanks again for any replys
If you wanna play RATM, your pretty much gunna need a toggle switch (les paul or SG would be quite good for this I guess), or killswitch, unless if you wanna go around playing Morello's drop d tuning songs.

But Morello's riffs are really good to learn from, they are pretty simple, and they aren't in crazy tunings (mostly in standard, drop D, and rarley drop B to my knowledge)
Your friendship is a fog, that disappears when the wind re-directs (YEAH!)
Quote by Sóul Pówer
If you wanna play RATM, your pretty much gunna need a toggle switch (les paul or SG would be quite good for this I guess), or killswitch, unless if you wanna go around playing Morello's drop d tuning songs.

But Morello's riffs are really good to learn from, they are pretty simple, and they aren't in crazy tunings (mostly in standard, drop D, and rarley drop B to my knowledge)

yup thats the exact reason i chose them im in the process of tring to find similar rifts to learn from other bands/styles. so a gisbson SG would be a good choice as a guitar for many different styles but mainly those i listed? also what version of it as i know there has been a few over the years.
well ive been offline for a while but i can give you some more advice, the sg is a tiny little guitar if the les pauls is small for you then the sg will feel like a toy, a nice guitar to look into would be an epiphone dot stupio, big guitar, 3 toggle switch, and pretty goood price, it covers a plethura of styles and branchs into new age punk (vampire weekend is my prime source for this one) if you need more help just keep posting it on here
the size dosent matter to me, the les paul was big and i currently have a raider which is average size, possibly the same as the SG can anyone else recommend it or comment if tll be good for my style of music?
I don't know if you want to buy a Gibson unless you are POSITIVE you are gonna stick with it.
i dont know. i guess you can never really be sure if u wanna change style ect, the standard is about 600 pound which isnt that bad
thats like $1200.00 USD... I just would think that maybe you should stick with a decent, but not too high end guitar to start off with. Do you remember anything that you used to play to see where you are in the process?
as i saw im pretty new and so im not buying the guitar for a few months when im a bit better, im only at the stage of bulls on parade and ive done seven nation army there the only songs i can remember and if the guitar is going to last a long time i see no reason not to spend that much, ive spent much more on pcs that go out of date lol but i would be happy to buy a cheaper one if it meets the needs as well as the SG its just thats all thats been reccomended
Fender MiM (Made in Mexico) HSS (Humbucker-Single-Single) Strat; Roland Microcube or Cube 30. Diversity, affordable, and if you choose not to stick with guitar, you won't be out to much because people buy and sell these all the time. Once you get really good, you can buy a high end Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, whatever.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
ok ill take a look, i have heard about them and my friend has a Mexican strat he says its really good
dont suppose you know any English sites that sell them so i can get prices?
ive looked on ebay and those guitars seem cheaper than the one i already have

edit: i also looked at those microcubes and i already have a more expensive marshall but not by much
Cheaper does not always mean worse, however. Are you sure the guitar you have now won't serve well for learning?
Quote by orcs4life
Cheaper does not always mean worse, however. Are you sure the guitar you have now won't serve well for learning?

itll be fine for learning but in a few months i wanted a better one to keep for a lot longer thats why i was thinking of getting the SG as itll last for as long as it needs to, this guitar is a vintage so its not to well made and has a bit of damage as ive had it for 6 years
Alright, I decided to skip most of this thread except the details of RATM liking and £500 budget...

Since you're starting again, and you mentioned you'll be playing a "range of music"...

Guitars

1. Fender Standard Stratocaster. Made in Mexico. £300ish.

This is a really good standard guitar as it is relatively cheap for the money and as we all know, Strats are bloody awesome for upgrading and modding! Stratocasters are also reknown as a versatile guitar so you can pull off many tones. The 2006 models (I think) and onwards are now upgraded with better bridges and other stuff (unsure, not a Fender nut). You can easily find them in a store and try them out, which I highly recommend since Fender Mexico QC (Quality Control) is a bit sketchy. You should bring your friend along too to try it out to make sure it's a good Fender, not a lemon!

2. Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Made in China. £250ish.

This guitar is also a good standard guitar that most people move onto to get that Les Paul sound without paying the insane Gibson price. Although not quite the same level of quality or specs, it is still a decent guitar. I believe Tom Morello used a Les Paul in some time of his career (could be with Audioslave though, and he DOES put EMGs in them); it's got 2 volume knobs so you can perform a kill switch if you turn on volume knob to 0 and the other to 10, and alternate between the two. Like the Fender, it is common as hell in stores so you can easily find one. Epiphone China QC is a bit sketchy as well, you can find really **** ones among decent guitars. Try out in store!

3. Epiphone G400. Made in China. £170ish.

This is pretty much the same as the above Epiphone except that it has a completely different body shape and design. SG's are commonly headstock heavy, so when you play it dives towards the floor. This could also be because of the strap button position, so I'm not sure. It too has 2 volume knobs so killswitchness can be achieved! Try out in store as they are quite common.

4. Fender Lite Ash Telecaster. Made in Korea. £320ish.

Recently my friend just got the Stratocaster version, but I'll just assume the same for the Telecaster model! Build wise, it's an excellent guitar and everything about it was very very solid and quality. The components on it are excellent as well (Seymour Duncan pickups are worth about £40 a piece in UK!) and neck was so smooth and comfortable. For the money, I highly recommend this guitar.

(Just for ease, I'll link you to the Stratocaster version.)

5. Ibanez SAS36FM. Made in Korea. £300ish.

Another friend of mine has this guitar, and damn does it look good! Build wise is stunning and components are pretty good. It has a trem so you can mess around with it and get some whammy work with your songs. This model in particular is very versatile which is rather appealing since you can play lots and lots of different genres and sound decent (as long as your amp is up to scratch!).
thanks for the detailed reply ill take a look at them i have 3 guitar stores near my house so im sure between them they will have them all since 1 just has a whole window full of strats lol
Quote by InfernoUk
thanks for the detailed reply ill take a look at them i have 3 guitar stores near my house so im sure between them they will have them all since 1 just has a whole window full of strats lol

I'm not quite finished yet... I'll add some more in a minute. Takes a wee while since I'm on MSN at the same time.

EDIT: ****! I had another 3 guitars listed and IE just crashed.

Because I can't be bothered to retype everything... check out.

6. Godin Freeway Classic.
7. Musicman SUB1 Guitar. CHECK SOUNDCONTROL.CO.UK, they are on sale and they are USA made guitars. I can't stress how much of a deal that is. They maybe simple guitars, but they are excellent simple guitars!
8. Washburn X50PRO. The picture on gak.co.uk is absolutely ****, so check google for much decent pictures.
Last edited by Mwoit at Apr 26, 2008,
yeah my current guitar is falling to pieces and sounds horrible but it was still a 300 pound guitar so itll hold out till i get a new one in a bit
just go to a guitar store and play everything you can. buy something cheap and easy to play. worry about tone for your next one.
i have a guitar at the moment that can do that for the next one i would want an improvment
Righto, might as well link you to the above guitars...

6. Godin Freeway Classic.
7. Musicman SUB Guitar.
8. Washburn X50PRO.

Amps

1. Vox Valvetronix AD30VT. £150ish.

Great amp, 30W of modelling power. Basically, this amp simulates different well known amps so the player can achieve a range of different tones. The best thing about these amps is that they sound half decent for the price and allows you to dip into different tones and get a rough idea of what you want in the future. There is also some onboard FX for you to toy around with so you get a decent grip with them too. Most users on UG will agree with me that this amp is pretty good!

2. Roland Cube 30. £130ish.

The other decent modelling amp to go to, this amp is basically the same as the Vox except it sounds different and is a bit more geared towards metal. The cleans are not as decent as the Vox amp but I personally find the R-Fier mode alright for metal / heavy gain settings. As an owner of a Cube, I say this amp kicks ass for practice and jamming no doubt. But for gigging, look elsewhere.

The two above amps I highly recommend for practice purposes mainly.

3. Laney VC30. £310ish.

This amp is a 30W of all valve driveness through a 12" speaker! The ones I have tried are pretty good, and when semi cranked (never got to fully crank sadly ) they sounded really really good. Cleans are very sparkly and alive, which is always a plus in my book. If you get this amp, you can easily pull off gigs and with an overdrive pedal of sorts, pull off high gain / metal.

4. Peavey Valveking. Made in China. £310ish.

Similar to the above except you get 50W instead of 30W! Plenty of users use a valveking since it's a decent entry level price for valve amps. It's a bit of a hit and a miss thing; some people love it entirely and others think it's a bit **** for a valve amp. Try it out in store if you want to hear how good it is; the ones I've tried were actually pretty good and for a valve amp, cheap!

Just a rule of thumb, if you're gonna try out a guitar, try it through an amp similar to your own one; you don't want to fool yourself thinking your guitar sounds like the best thing on the planet if you try it through a ENGL or something! On the other extreme, don't bother trying a really high end guitar through a low end amp that you are testing; you may fall in love with the guitar instead!
thanks ill take a look, i dont plan to upgrade my amp till i have a new guitar so ill try it out on an amp same as mine.
also is there anything with a dual volume if i want to play rage ill need some kill switch or is it best to buy a volume pedal or an actual kill switch
^As I've listed, the Epiphone Les Paul / SG has two volume knobs so you can made a kill switch with that.
cool, i was also thinking about buying a strat neck and body in swamp ash and building my own then i can get the set up i want exactly and also the paint job/graphics i want and i will not have to compromise anything is this a good idea as i know people who can help me with each step and the body will be precut to match the neck.