I turn 17 in september and i can either drive or get a bike and ride :P
I can't find anywhere that says what size engine im allowed, and stuff like that.
So can anyone answer few things please?
- What is max CC engine im allowed at 17
- When can i get a fairly large engine
- Any bikes you could recommend (light weight ish because i know they can be hard to control)
- How long it takes to pass the test
- What i need to know for my test
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
Iirc the first bike you can get is a 125cc, or a very limited 250.
Get a fairly large bike after 2 years or when you turn 21.
I recommend getting a fairly oldish bike, because no matter what, you will drop it.
The last two, I have even less of an idea.

Probably not entirely accurate information, but I'm quite sure.

First link from Google.
http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/training.html
Quote by clapton-floyd
Get a car- seriously.

Yeah. A friend of mine has been riding for a little over 4 months.
Got taken out on a roundabout last week, won't have full use of his hand for a year, needs surgery on his knee and ankle.
Not fun.
Quote by Oli_88
Iirc the first bike you can get is a 125cc, or a very limited 250.
Get a fairly large bike after 2 years or when you turn 21.
I recommend getting a fairly oldish bike, because no matter what, you will drop it.
The last two, I have even less of an idea.

Probably not entirely accurate information, but I'm quite sure.

First link from Google.
http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/training.html

That's pretty much it.
You can ride a 125 on a provisional license for 2 years, then when you've passed your test you're restricted to 33bhp for 2 years, then you can ride anything.

At least that's how it was, but they've talked about changing it for the last few years to make it harder.

Quote by clapton-floyd
Get a car- seriously.

^ Ignore that.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
I'll probably get both licenses anyway, but thanks for the info on the 125cc. I didnt know what to type into google, im pretty useless with it to be honest.

Quote by Miggy01
This should explain it all.

As for a small first bike, the Honda CBR125 is really popular with learners.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
Last edited by Vince Noir at Apr 25, 2008,
In america its hard to even find a 125cc motorcylce. Many people have told me to not even start out on anything less then a 500cc. I am buying a bike this summer because gas is 5$ a gallon and they get 60+ mpg where as my car gets 12, and my work is 36 miles round trip which would equal 10+ dollars a day in gas.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Quote by dannyniceboy
In america its hard to even find a 125cc motorcylce. Many people have told me to not even start out on anything less then a 500cc. I am buying a bike this summer because gas is 5$ a gallon and they get 60+ mpg where as my car gets 12, and my work is 36 miles round trip which would equal 10+ dollars a day in gas.

Any idea what you're getting?

Quote by Kumanji
Quote by charvel_man
Out of curiosity, how do you go about trike lessons?

I don't really know about lessons. But they're classed as B1 by the DVLA, which also covers quads and cars up to 550kg. So I imagine if you've passed your car test you'll be legally allowed to ride one.
Try phoning DVLA up, they'll be more help than me.

Quote by Kumanji
I'd been looking at some bikes, came across that honda CBR before. But its really expensive, even second hand in good condition. Im thinking more along £900 ish second hand, so anything that is £1300 new is probably about right - then i can look around.

Quote by Miggy01
Quote by Vince Noir
Any idea what you're getting?

I'd cream if they would finance me for a 600 kawasaki but I doubt that will happen. So I am just searching craigslists for a decent used bike. I am more concerned about gas milage then looks to be honest but still it would be nice if my bike is sexy

^ that would be my first choice if I get approved.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"