Page 1 of 2
My friend is obsessed with classic rock and 80s rock, and according to him, "all this screaming stuff is st00pid"

So I would like some help from the pit. Are there any songs I could make him change his mind to? (Since I've already failed to convince him many times verbally)
Metallica?
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
I Cum Blood

edit: Seriously, let him have his own taste in music. His differs from yours, so what? Not everyone has to like metal. I know I barely do.
.... why change his mind?? does he force his classic n 80s rock down ur throat? why shud u shove it down his?.. its a matter of opinion.

n having said that I agree with him
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
I dont see why you would want to change his mind, if he's happy with 80's let him be happy with the 80's

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
does he force his classic n 80s rock down ur throat?

Pretty much. I'll learn a new metal riff and show him, and either he won't like it, or he will say "who does it?" And I'll say "Oh, it's *insert metal band name here*", and he will decide not to like it.

And he already likes Metallica, to the guy who mentioned that above.
You could try some Atreyu.

A lot of their guitar is 80's rock inspired!
FEED ME MATHCORE

Quote by sashki

I also speak German, except no-one gives a shit.

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE, AWAKE WHEN THE SUN HITS THE SKY
korn magically won over my classic rock obsessed mate, funny ol world.

but if it were my opinion surely metallica
Ibanez RG1570
Randall RG75G3
EHX Metal Muff
Quote by Dudeman5000

TS said metal bands though...
Quote by Thebiz
Pretty much. I'll learn a new metal riff and show him, and either he won't like it, or he will say "who does it?" And I'll say "Oh, it's *insert metal band name here*", and he will decide not to like it.

And he already likes Metallica, to the guy who mentioned that above.
Then he already likes metal, no?

What do you want him to listen to? Slayer? Cannibal Corpse? Between The Buried And Me? Not gonna happen anytime soon, dude.
Quote by Dudeman5000

Already tried it. That was one of the cases I already tried above (I played a riff for him and he liked it but when I told him it was Atreyu he hated it.)
well if you want to show him some stuff, any metallica, pantera, slayer or anthrax would be agood to start with, all their 80's stuff as it's not super distortion and just overdriven
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
if he wants to listen to his stuff let him. Althought something like fade to black or nothing else matters might help.
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
Quote by Flying Couch

What do you want him to listen to? Slayer? Cannibal Corpse? Between The Buried And Me? Not gonna happen anytime soon, dude.

Is it just me or is every slayer song another version of raining blood?
Quote by Thebiz
he already likes Metallica

Then what's the problem? I like metal but I agree that all the screaming stuff is just stupid and the quickest way to ruin a potentially good song.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
The reason that you cant beat him is because he is right. I may get flammed for this but im petty sure that almost any 80s hard rock/metal song is superior to any crappy new stuff. The same goes for classic rock. Im sorry but he has got you beat.
ahh i used to be one of those 80s obsessed people...i still love it...but my taste in music has expanded into alot of deathmetal and other metal subgenres...For me the more i listened to it...the less i hated it and i started to like it more and more....

Hmmm..get him to listen to Whitechapel ...or maybe Nymphotomy...
WE ARE THE NIGHTMARE
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Is it just me or is every slayer song another version of raining blood?
Yeah, Slayer suck.

Again, what exactly is the stuff you want him to listen to? Saying "metal" is hardly descriptive.
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Opeth - show him the clean songs, that'll show him that extreme metal isn't just 'screaming'
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
o.O

and i thought the Metal forum was the most active forum on UG....

screaming has its place in music and there are plenty of bands out there that can put off some good screaming vocals. just because you like them doesn't mean everyone should, but then again that doesn't mean music without screaming is better than music with screaming.

don't force Metal onto a Classic Rock elitist....you'd be fighting a losing battle
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Megadeth - any song from Rust In Peace.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
The only metal I like is Metallica and other light metal bands. I can't stand screamy ****. I guess I'm an elitist. I just don't find any musicality or melody in Cannibal Corpse.
Mmmm, coffee

Quote by the_poison125
Fear your ass...

Quote by hazzmatazz
Quote by Våd Hamster
Sharing is caring. *holds out hands*
*inserts penis?*
Play him lighter metal like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc. Lie to him about the band, but then later tell him who the real band was.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Don't try to force anything on to him.. There is no definitive form of music, everyone has their own tastes. But to prove a point about metal not only being screaming, show him just about ANY power metal band. Also Diablo Swing Orchestra as I mentioned earlier, just for sheer awesomeness
Ah, I remember when I was a classic rock elitist.

I t was Metallica that changed me, as you'd expect. I had always liked Enter Sandman and For Whom The Bell Tolls, but when I checked out more of their stuff I was instantly a pure metalhead.
personally, I have done this, but my friend was into country

first off, what does he like most about the 80's metal/classic rock genre ? vocals or guitar?

and does he actually play guitar or any other instrument?
and how old is he?

here's what I did:
well my friend liked country/ I hated it
so I first gave him some lighter stuff like Hendrix and then I moved him onto some heavier stuff like the 80's stuff(not that I'm downing Hendrix or anything)
from the 80's I let him listen to stuff like van halen and dokken etc.
then I moved him to Metallica
metallica to megadeth
megadeth to stuff like testament and pantera
if you can work him into pantera you can pretty much get him into anything

basically take what he likes now and slowly find something a little bit heavier
keep increasing the metal-ness of each band until he likes whatever you fancy
but it will take a long while--just do it slowly so he doesn't expect anything
Quote by ctb
why not just let him like what he likes yeah? reported.

oooooooh, get you!
*flaps arm*
Leave him alone. I have some friends with that particular taste in music and I don't feel the need to change their minds.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by Flying Couch

Br00tal

I used to love pop punk, then i slowly worked into metal, metallica, megadeth, then to pantera, trivium, then slowly wanting heavier stuff
Page 1 of 2