You know those youtube videos of amp demos where ppl use a POS camera or camera phone to record an amp at a loud volume and you just hear all the farting noises? Well, my amp does that all on its own when I turn it up, and I don't like it of course. Does anyone have any ideas on why this happens and how I might fix it?
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
testes
GEAR:
Black Epiphone G-310 SG
White Ibanez RG120
Digitech RP250 Multi-Effects Pedal
Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack
Might want to tell us what amp...

Its probably a rip in the speaker
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
Might want to tell us what amp...

Its probably a rip in the speaker

Its a Traynor YCV20-WR. 15 watts loaded with a Greenback.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

I'd say it's a punctured speaker cone. Do you keep your cables in the back?
Signature temporarily empty
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Give it some Gas X... If that doesnt work you have to much bass or power going through your system but with 15 watts i doubt that so my bet is on a blown/torn speaker.

But the amp is 15 watts and the speaker is rated at 25 watts how can it blow?
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Quote by USAPeavey
But the amp is 15 watts and the speaker is rated at 25 watts how can it blow?

Actually lower wattage is more prone to blow a speaker then higher wattage to a certain degree. Your running your volume higher to acheive a desired level because your speaker is a higher wattage. By doing so its causing your amp to clip which is bad on speakers and basically overheating the voicecoil...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Actually lower wattage is more prone to blow a speaker then higher wattage to a certain degree. Your running your volume higher to acheive a desired level because your speaker is a higher wattage. By doing so its causing your amp to clip which is bad on speakers and basically overheating the voicecoil...

I guess that makes sense...but I had always heard that the hotter you run a tube amp, the overall better tone it has.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

Actually that's in a sense incorrect. You know how much a Greenback can handle? it can handle 50 watts on it own's at max. Basically all speakers in the world are rated at the wattage of the amp they handle, so a 25W speaker works safely with a 25watt amp. Basically when you push a tube amp, it pushes out more power, almost twice as much. Hence speaker manufacteurs rate theur corresponding to this, meaning that a 25w speaker can handle more than 25w, generally about 50w in total. Your 15watt amp will push out roughly 30w at maxium, so that that could blow the speaker sounds very unreasnoable.

What you could do is to try an run the amp in a separete speaker cab and see if it farts then.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^That's also a good idea.

What volume are you running the amp at? At very low volumes amps have a way of sounding farty so to speak.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

stop feeding it mexican guitars.

baha.. i'm lame..

try turning the bass down.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Gabel
Actually that's in a sense incorrect. You know how much a Greenback can handle? it can handle 50 watts on it own's at max. Basically all speakers in the world are rated at the wattage of the amp they handle, so a 25W speaker works safely with a 25watt amp. Basically when you push a tube amp, it pushes out more power, almost twice as much. Hence speaker manufacteurs rate theur corresponding to this, meaning that a 25w speaker can handle more than 25w, generally about 50w in total. Your 15watt amp will push out roughly 30w at maxium, so that that could blow the speaker sounds very unreasnoable.

What you could do is to try an run the amp in a separete speaker cab and see if it farts then.

Hate to tell ya but wattage is wattage. A 15 watt SS amp is just as loud as a 15 Watt tube amp. The issue is our ears take in the harmonics in tube amps and they see it as being louder because those harmonics are in the mix.

And a speaker has two wattage specs RMS wattage and Peak Wattage handling. Rms is the constant amount of wattage thrown at it averaged out. And Peak the maximum wattage it can handle if the amp has a spike and theres a boost in wattage. Also some manufacturers use the peak wattage as marketing and people read things like posted above and think any speaker made can handle double the wattage.

Also a 15 watt amp wont push out 30 watts. It can spike up to a higher wattage for a split second but not hold the current long enough to say it can push 30 watts. A 15 watt amp is a 15 watt amp....
^Well your point is correct to an extent. Ever heard of CLEAN output? All amps aren't rated at MAXIUM output, but at their CLEAN output, which means watts before distortion. So a 15watt amp is 15watts, CLEAN. However as we all know, these amps have low headroom and some start distort below mid volume. This means that the amp is now pushing more than 15 watts, since after all it's rated at 15 watts clean output. So yes it can go up all the way to 30 watts in some cases. This applies to both tube and SS amps.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

The speaker problem could cause this but still... It shouldn't be a problem with the speaker.

Here are my guesses.

1 Your output tubes are not biased correctly. If your tubes are drawing too much current it will push them into cutoff and you will get a farting noise

2 leaking coupling cap somewhere in the amp. 1 leaky cap can throw off the bias of all the preamp stages after the cap. If the bias isn't correct then you can push the tubes into cutoff.

3 Cathode resistor on a preamp tube burt out or became unsoldered. This can underbias the tube giving you a harsh choppy sound. It actually sounds like this is the opposite of what is going on for you amp, but I thought I would through it out there.

4 arching resistor somewhere in the amp. You can test for this by opening your amp up, turning it on and then tapping on the resistors with a wooden chopstick. If you tap a resistor and hear a thud through your speaker then you need to replace that resistor.

5 it could be arching within your output transformer. Not the most likely of things, but still a possibility.

6 The most likely thing is that you just need to retube your amp.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Hate to tell ya but wattage is wattage. A 15 watt SS amp is just as loud as a 15 Watt tube amp. The issue is our ears take in the harmonics in tube amps and they see it as being louder because those harmonics are in the mix.

And a speaker has two wattage specs RMS wattage and Peak Wattage handling. Rms is the constant amount of wattage thrown at it averaged out. And Peak the maximum wattage it can handle if the amp has a spike and theres a boost in wattage. Also some manufacturers use the peak wattage as marketing and people read things like posted above and think any speaker made can handle double the wattage.

Also a 15 watt amp wont push out 30 watts. It can spike up to a higher wattage for a split second but not hold the current long enough to say it can push 30 watts. A 15 watt amp is a 15 watt amp....
Don't. Speak. If. You. Don't. Know.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
thanks for all the replys. So for now, I'm pretty sure its not the speaker, but as to the other issues:

The tubes are like 5 month old JJs

I only get the farting noise the louder I run the amp

I never turn the Bass higher than 5 (12 o clock). Its usually on 3-4.

any other suggestions?
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

My money is still on bias issues. Either your output tubes are running too hot or you have a bad coupling cap causing the preamp tubes to run too hot.

Are any of your volume or tone knobs scratchy when you turn them?

What happens when you turn the trebble all the way down?
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
My money is still on bias issues. Either your output tubes are running too hot or you have a bad coupling cap causing the preamp tubes to run too hot.

Are any of your volume or tone knobs scratchy when you turn them?

What happens when you turn the trebble all the way down?

Well...it sounds great a low to mid volumes. I really really love the cleans.
And no, the knobs are not scratchy. Even though I got this amp used, I spent a while making sure it was in good condition before I bought it. The previous owner really took good care of it and it was almost mint condition.

And I'll have to get back to you about turning the treble all the way down, I'll check it asap.
Quote by jackbauer

Quote by guylee

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox