http://boomp3.com/listen/ew5qc87/vktest

212 combo guitar straight to amp (Gibson Les Paul Studio).

****ty mic, but you get the idea. This is an "out of the box" Valveking with the volume below 1. Sounds metal to me.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
It can do metal... just not for very long. My friend has one, he had it 3 months before the speakers started acting up, and the Sovtek tubes they put in there wore out on him hella fast. Fortunately he's upgraded to his Rivera Knucklehead Tre and his Mesa 4x12.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
it can. but there are many amps that do metal better.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
dude that sounds way thrash
badd-ass
"so did you do anything hardocore today?"

"yeah dude i went to the bathroom and pluged up the toilet like hardcore! water would not stop coming out of it! It was like eddie van halen was playing Eruption in my bathroom! If van halen was a toilet
The distortion is there, but having tested them personally, I find the amount of noise at full distortion unbearable (this is with active EMGs). You can hear a little bit of it at the end of the clip.

Also, comparing it to something like an Engl Thunder combo, the distortion sounds really thin and fizzy. Might be good on a recording but in real life it's just got no body at all.

A decent (cheap) entry level valve amp for metal but it's not comparable to the big boys.
it can do metal pretty good. sure there are better but its not bad at all
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
I'm not saying this amp is the end all. But it can do metal.

Disproving a lie. Thanks for listening.
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
Quote by Dog454
It can do metal... just not for very long. My friend has one, he had it 3 months before the speakers started acting up, and the Sovtek tubes they put in there wore out on him hella fast. Fortunately he's upgraded to his Rivera Knucklehead Tre and his Mesa 4x12.

What does any of that have to do with the amp. Seriously, tubes aren't gonna last forever, especially stock ones. There are impurities in tubes. And the speakers are **** anyway.
The MXR Micro Amp just goes hand in hand with my VK. It just makes the tone so much fatter and fuller. I do agree that stock it is pretty thin. I would do a review but my guitar is off getting a pickup swap.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h
The MXR Micro Amp just goes hand in hand with my VK. It just makes the tone so much fatter and fuller. I do agree that stock it is pretty thin. I would do a review but my guitar is off getting a pickup swap.

I've done the same thing with my MXR 10 band, it does fatten it up a bit. But since i got the tone i like with out the pedal im not going to mess with it. Because god knows why or how it blew up but i dont want it to happen again lol
Quote by Manehead
The distortion is there, but having tested them personally, I find the amount of noise at full distortion unbearable (this is with active EMGs). You can hear a little bit of it at the end of the clip.

Also, comparing it to something like an Engl Thunder combo, the distortion sounds really thin and fizzy. Might be good on a recording but in real life it's just got no body at all.

A decent (cheap) entry level valve amp for metal but it's not comparable to the big boys.

So on this recording, on a radio shack microphone, it sounds "better" than in real life where it has no body.

I find this post hilarious.
Quote by HxCori<3
I played a ValveKing 112 today, and it handled metal quite well. Sure, ther eis amps with higher gain out there, but the gain boost really gave it a good metal crunch.
IMO it's a crap amp until you upgrade the speakers and valves then it's an excellent gigging amp
the sound will change dramatically as you turn it up past 1
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
personally, i don't really like the valveking for metal or even its distortion. i think its cleans are ok, and maybe the o.d., but once u crank up the gain, it gets really muddy. this may just be me tho, but i wouldnt get this amp for really heavy stuff (even tho alot of other ppl like it, it's not the tone i'd want for metal) so for others who r considering it, u'd really have to try it out before u buy it
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by Horlicks
IMO it's a crap amp until you upgrade the speakers and valves then it's an excellent gigging amp

Very true, though I will say that the valves are stock E12AX7s and Ruby 6L6GCs. The speaker's a piece of trash, but the valves don't really merit a swap out IMO.
I wouldn't get the Valveking just for metal either, if you are a ridiculous gain junkie there are better options, but for this price, it's versatility (amazing cleans) can not be denied.

The only times I've heard a Valveking be "muddy" was when people didn't know how to use EQ or presense knobs.

Also again that clip was recorded on a POS mic stock valves and speakers with the volume below 1 *on a tube amp*. Thats basically just preamp barely even driving the speakers. The Valveking is a pretty good jack of all trades for the price.
Quote by HxCori<3