I've been building a my own acoustic guitars lately and the past two I've made have been for a certain purpose. One is a banjo style guitar and the other is meant for slide guitar. Well now I want to build a decent acoustic guitar meant for realistic playing and stuff. I bought some tuning pegs and realized I could go 12 string if I wanted to. I know Jimi did a great song (Hear My Train A Coming? maybe?) on 12 string and Zeppelin did a number of songs with a 12 string....I'm sure other great things happened on 12 strings. My point? As far as blues playing goes, 12 string or 6 string? I am aware 12 strings put more tension on the neck and I'm going to have to make a better effort at building the neck and stuff. Any extra pointers would be appreciated.

I stuck a youtube link in my profile and you can check me out playing my guitars and my actual guitars that I didn't make.
Last edited by zepledfan413 at Apr 25, 2008,
12 strings aren't really for blues. They add a sort of chorus sound to strumming, but for individual strings it can be clumsy, because its pairs of strings.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
12 strings are great for rhythm (see Leadbelly, Led Zeppelin...) but are pretty hard to do lead on.

I'd recommend doing a six string.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Alright that's cool then. I was just saying since the tuning heads could easily do 12 strings. Anybody got any tips on what shapes give what sound?