Alright, so I'm a self taught at guitar, and I have been playing seriously since late October 6 months ago). I can do open minor and major chords and a couple of scales (mostly pentatonics). I want to learn new chords and scales, but I want to learn the chords first (widening the number of songs i could play) I was on justinguitar on their beginners lessons and I was wondering if i should do Dominant and Suspended chords first or barre chords.

Any tips on other things i should work on?

Thanks
Work on everything you can, one thing will get boring.... Personally I'd learn a scale then learn how it corresponds to chords that way you will be doing both
What I did was just found songs where I knew some chords and did not know others, and learned the song. It is better than sitting down with a list of chords in front of you going *strum* "That's a Dsus4!" *strum* "When is this over?!?!". I am the type of person that likes to apply something while learning it. Eh, that's me.
Yea but I want to learn the name of the chords, so yea.
On a different note, is there a website that shows the notes on the Pentatonic Scales?

thanks
Rather then just learn chord shapes, learn the rules of chord construction. That way, you won't have to remember chords as such, you'll simply know how to form them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Any online places that teach me how and why a chord works?
Im not really good at theory, but I do want to learn the how and why music works.

Thanks

EDIT!!!
I know this has been asked before, but what are the pros and cons of playing barre Chords with your thumb rather than index finger barring?

Thanks again
Last edited by el rulfo at Apr 26, 2008,
Quote by el rulfo
Any online places that teach me how and why a chord works?
Im not really good at theory, but I do want to learn the how and why music works.

Thanks

EDIT!!!
I know this has been asked before, but what are the pros and cons of playing barre Chords with your thumb rather than index finger barring?

Thanks again

whoa whoa, how do you play a barre chord with your thumb?!
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
he means thumb over the lower strings, I do this for some things it frees up a finger so i can do some hammer ons etc

for chords and scales try www.looknohands.com