So,
I went to my local music store (long and mcquade), looking for a strat. I found myself a nice white mexican standard with a maple board for around 400. It's good now but doesn't sound as good as it can I think. I've heard custom shop '69 pickups are the ones to get for hendrixy type tones. (Which is what I'm going for.) Do you think this would be a good idea? I've already changed my epi's pups to gibson classic 57's so I know pups can make a very nice change. Would the '69s suit music like RHCP, Hendrix, Clapton, Floyd, and SRV? These are the mains I'd be using my strat for.

I also happened to find a used Vox V848 for 165$. I didn't pick it up right away cause I was on my bike and have a couple questions.
First, I've looked at the picture wah by Teese, and isn't it just trying to copy this wah here? Is there a noticeable difference between the two? They both have true bypass and the Vox sounded pretty much perfect already. Is the Teese better?

Thanks

(Btw this is all Canadian $)

EDIT: I see now that the Vox is only 150$ US new on MF, so I guess it wasn't that much of a deal after all.
Gear: Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (plus top)
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
I tried it through my amp, I always do it through my amp at the store, so I can know exactly what It will sound like at home.
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
Slats? That dude with the Yngwie avatar who's name I can't remember? If anyone can help it'd be appreciated.
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
What amp do you own right now? Amps affect your tone more than guitars and pickups.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Well the dude clearly has Traynor blue so he's set ampwise i think we should all agree...
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
I'd go with something other than Fender pickups. They're a tad pricey, and not the top of the line, for the price tag. I'd try something like Stephens Designs pickups. Those are great pickups.

Or you can check out the pickups at rockmonkeyguitars.com. I have a set of these, and I get some great vintage tones from them. Plus, he gives ya 10% discount to UGers!
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd go with something other than Fender pickups. They're a tad pricey, and not the top of the line, for the price tag. I'd try something like Stephens Designs pickups. Those are great pickups.

Or you can check out the pickups at rockmonkeyguitars.com. I have a set of these, and I get some great vintage tones from them. Plus, he gives ya 10% discount to UGers!

Thanks for the help. What about Fralins though, I hear they're quite nice.
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)
also if youre looking for wah info, go to the ultimate wah thread, lots of good info.
ODEN 08 'RISE WITH US'
Agreed, don't waste your money on the big brand name pickups, get in touch with CorduroyEW and ask about his Gorilla Fist Strat single pickups, I have his Hendrix-style bridge pickup and it's better than any Fender pickup without any shadow of a doubt.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
first i must say, white strats deserve a tortoise shell pickguard and rosewood fretboard. nothing less.

second, ill throw bg pickups into the mix here. not too expensive and sound great. the others mentioned are all good choices as well, i just dont have personal experience with most of them.

as for the wah, i dunno if its worth the upgrade from the v847 to the 848. mostly cause they are very similar and if you change some stuff in the 7 you can make it better than the 8 for less total cost. see if you can try out the 848 next to the 847 and see if its really that much of a difference to your ears. or try out the teese and see if you like that better.
Thanks for all the help everyone, I'll take all those pickups into mind. And I've read a lot of HC reviews on the V848 and it seems to constantly have reliability issues, so I think I'll go for the Teese for an extra 30$.

And I was thinking more maple board, since I already have two rosewood boards, and I was thinking pearloid pickguard and gold hardware.
Traynor YCV50 BLUE
Peavey Blazer
Zakk Wylde Signature Wah
EH Small Clone
MXR Distortion 3 (III)