Hello UG. I'm thinkin about purchasing new pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul, as its stock pickups are extremely muddy compared to my Viper's EMG pickups. However, I'd like to keep the pickups on my Epi passive. So far my two main brand choices are between Di-Marzio and Seymour Duncan.

I'd preferably like good passive pickups for metal.
Seymour Duncan Custom line (Custom Custom, Custom 5, Duncan Custom, etc). Which specific model would be best depends on your guitar (low-end Epi, mid-end Epi, high-end Epi, or Epi Elitist?), your amp, and your exact playing style (just 'metal' is a bit vague).
Quote by Thebiz
Hello UG. I'm thinkin about purchasing new pickups for my Epiphone Les Paul, as its stock pickups are extremely muddy compared to my Viper's EMG pickups. However, I'd like to keep the pickups on my Epi passive. So far my two main brand choices are between Di-Marzio and Seymour Duncan.

I'd preferably like good passive pickups for metal.

i am in the same boat as you mate...i am thinking of putting in Gibson BurstBucker Pro Alnico V or Seymour Duncan SH-1 59= Neck and SH-5-Bridge.I play in between rock/alternative/metal and some blues
seymour dunkin invaders i have in my epi sobe custom, it sounds just fine, id go with that
Quote by torYxx
i am in the same boat as you mate...i am thinking of putting in Gibson BurstBucker Pro Alnico V
Urgh, the BurstBucker Pros don't deserve to be called BurstBuckers, let alone 'Pro'...

The BurstBucker #3 is a much better choice than that. The quality is far better, it's tonally fuller, the only real downside against the Pro is that the Pro has a V magnet while the #1/2/3 has an Alnico II magnet, but are wound more so actually are hotter.

Basically, if you're planning on using it for metal, the BurstBucker #2 is the same final output as the Pro, but the sheer quality is better with a fuller tone; the BurstBucker #3 is actually higher output than the Pro (despite the fact it's a II magnet while the Pro is a V magnet - the BB#3 is severely over-wound!), and has the same better quality and fuller tone that the #2 has. The #1 has the fullest tone, but is also slightly lower output than the Pro, so if you're really hell-bent on only playing metal than the #1 probably wouldn't be suitable.

Generally though, a #2 in the neck and #3 in the bridge will be a hotter pairing than a Pro, and more versatile, at the cost of some clarity in the bridge position (the neck will be clearer than a Pro would - but a #3 in the bridge does lose a tiny bit of definition. Not that much problem though in metal considering the bridge pickup is rarely used for intricate playing), and of course, the #1/2/3 series does cost a bit more than the Pro. The cost increase is worth it though.

I msyelf had a Gibson LP with two BurstBucker Pros in, and thought it was great - then I upgraded to a #2 in the neck and #3 in the bridge and was blown away. The difference is huge (as far as pickups go) and it's well worth the extra cost.
Quote by surge666
seymour dunkin invaders i have in my epi sobe custom, it sounds just fine, id go with that

please don't get invaders.

What amp do you have TS?
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by bokuho
Urgh, the BurstBucker Pros don't deserve to be called BurstBuckers, let alone 'Pro'...

The BurstBucker #3 is a much better choice than that. The quality is far better, it's tonally fuller, the only real downside against the Pro is that the Pro has a V magnet while the #1/2/3 has an Alnico II magnet, but are wound more so actually are hotter.

Basically, if you're planning on using it for metal, the BurstBucker #2 is the same final output as the Pro, but the sheer quality is better with a fuller tone; the BurstBucker #3 is actually higher output than the Pro (despite the fact it's a II magnet while the Pro is a V magnet - the BB#3 is severely over-wound!), and has the same better quality and fuller tone that the #2 has. The #1 has the fullest tone, but is also slightly lower output than the Pro, so if you're really hell-bent on only playing metal than the #1 probably wouldn't be suitable.

Generally though, a #2 in the neck and #3 in the bridge will be a hotter pairing than a Pro, and more versatile, at the cost of some clarity in the bridge position (the neck will be clearer than a Pro would - but a #3 in the bridge does lose a tiny bit of definition. Not that much problem though in metal considering the bridge pickup is rarely used for intricate playing), and of course, the #1/2/3 series does cost a bit more than the Pro. The cost increase is worth it though.

I msyelf had a Gibson LP with two BurstBucker Pros in, and thought it was great - then I upgraded to a #2 in the neck and #3 in the bridge and was blown away. The difference is huge (as far as pickups go) and it's well worth the extra cost.

thanks for the idea..zzounds has them the cheapest so i will be ordering them from there. I play rock/alternative/blues but mostly industrial metal=Nine inch nails,Manson,Zeromancer,Godhead,Stabbing westward..