Ok look im going to preface this with the fact that im 16 years old and i don't really consider that i was thinking for myself until about thirteen meaning i assimilated the musical tastes of the people around me before that point (i choose not to go any further because id certainly get kicked out of the metal forum and gored by a random slayer fan.) Anyway what im trying to say is that i havent had an incredible amount of time to create incredibly extensive knowledge of music. Im a metal fan (not really exclusive to any particular genre).
Now I was sifting through the metal forum and came across a bunch of comments I thought Id have to go to a emo forum to see. I saw a bunch of comments about people being posers (poseurs if you prefer) based on lack of knowledge, not even of metal bands, but on knowledge of metal genres. now to my knowledge genre names are meant to be a guideline to find bands that you like not not lines upon which heated verbal battles are to be fought. Metal fans seem to be complaining that there genre is becoming mainstream and I kinda think that the genre dilemma exists to seperate the people who believe they are tr00 metal fans and those who find metal bands by watching shows like hbb. I just wish that people would stfu and just listen to there music. Instead of insulting these people guide them in the right direction. Take them to the metal forum stickies. Don't f*ck them up because they don't know what bands are symphonic deathgrindthrashmathcore.
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Quote by umbrellacorp
Don't f*ck them up because they don't know what bands are symphonic deathgrindthrashmathcore.

+1
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens~jimi hendrix

My Gear:
ESP kH-202
Crate FXT 120
yamaha 500(keyboard)
1967 fenderbandmaster halfstack
schecter c1 hollow body
Pedals:
original crybaby wah
flutter pedal
boss mt-2
Well, most metal fans aren't gonna give two ****s about this post (myself moderately included).

We are very loyal to our metal. If we find someone insulting, say for example, Opeth I myself would get extremely perturbed. Mostly, because I find metal as a savior of sorts, without aggressive music I would lose my mind/end up in a ward, and people making fun of my love is just .

Metal is religion, but without the pointless bull****.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Well, most metal fans aren't gonna give two ****s about this post (myself moderately included).

We are very loyal to our metal. If we find someone insulting, say for example, Opeth I myself would get extremely perturbed. Mostly, because I find metal as a savior of sorts, without aggressive music I would lose my mind/end up in a ward, and people making fun of my love is just .

But to me not welcoming new people to share in what you find enjoyable with the intention of getting them to feel the same is pointless bullsh*t.

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Quote by Slaytanic1993

Slaytanic1993, dude you are ****ing great. i love that comment and agree 98413464321% i also love your sig btw

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
+10

No kidding. I'm a huge metal fun (despite my avatar, I like classic rock too) but it pisses me off when I fee forum disputes on what ganre Trivium belongs to. Like just shut the **** up. It all stems back into metal. Thats what it is. Whether is Amon Amarth, Mayhem, The Devil Wears Prada, Korn, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Nile, whatever... Its all metal.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Saga LP Copy
- Godin Seagull Acoustic
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender G-Dec
- Jim Dunlop Crybaby
- Guitar Rig 2
In the long run, a term defining the "exact" genre of a band or artist won't really do much good. I'd say the only thing we can use these specific terms for, is creating reference, so someone can find bands that sound like something they like, or avoid bands that sound like something they don't like. For instance, I make my general distance to Black Metal simply because the GENERAL FEATS of this music does not USUALLY appeal to me. But if I hear music, I don't always know what genre to put it in, and I don't find that important. If it's Black Metal, then fine, good music is good music no matter what a community or artist names for genre. Let the music itself be the center of the discussion, rather than what genre it's supposed to be in.

However, constructive criticism, or actual teaching, can be positive. This will give us the reference that will help us know in what general direction to look if we want "more of the same". If someone asked me the difference between Melodeath, and Melodic Death Metal, I really wouldn't know. It sounds like an abbreviation to me, but for all I know, Melodeath could be some very concrete genre derived from Melodic Death Metal, or the other way around. What difference does it really make? It doesen't change the music one bit. It's still gonna be metal, no matter what terminology we use.
Quote by Cuddrow
In the long run, a term defining the "exact" genre of a band or artist won't really do much good. I'd say the only thing we can use these specific terms for, is creating reference, so someone can find bands that sound like something they like, or avoid bands that sound like something they don't like. For instance, I make my general distance to Black Metal simply because the GENERAL FEATS of this music does not USUALLY appeal to me. But if I hear music, I don't always know what genre to put it in, and I don't find that important. If it's Black Metal, then fine, good music is good music no matter what a community or artist names for genre. Let the music itself be the center of the discussion, rather than what genre it's supposed to be in.

However, constructive criticism, or actual teaching, can be positive. This will give us the reference that will help us know in what general direction to look if we want "more of the same". If someone asked me the difference between Melodeath, and Melodic Death Metal, I really wouldn't know. It sounds like an abbreviation to me, but for all I know, Melodeath could be some very concrete genre derived from Melodic Death Metal, or the other way around. What difference does it really make? It doesen't change the music one bit. It's still gonna be metal, no matter what terminology we use.

exactly

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Quote by mohawkkidJohn
Slaytanic1993, dude you are ****ing great. i love that comment and agree 98413464321% i also love your sig btw

Why, thank you kind sah.

And, TS, you completely...COMPLETELY missed the point of my post.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I have no problem guiding the n00bs. There are a few bands that I absolutely despise such as Trivium and Job For A Cowboy because of their antics and their pollution of the metal genre. I will easily crusade against anyone who claims that hard rock bands such as Korn and Slipknot are metal, because that is just completely false. I also do not support people calling core bands metal. That should not be tolerated. Now when it comes to "is this band death metal or thrash metal?!?!" I have no problem guiding the person in a kind way.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Personally I don't like trivium but if someone came up to me and said they like trivium i would give them reasoning as to why and kindly point them in the direction of better metal. Not verbally b*tchslap them. And as for the part of your comment about most metal fans not caring about this post your probably right and now we can watch this post die without recognition.

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Quote by Terror Kovenant
I have no problem guiding the n00bs. There are a few bands that I absolutely despise such as Trivium and Job For A Cowboy because of their antics and their pollution of the metal genre. I will easily crusade against anyone who claims that hard rock bands such as Korn and Slipknot are metal, because that is just completely false. I also do not support people calling core bands metal. That should not be tolerated. Now when it comes to "is this band death metal or thrash metal?!?!" I have no problem guiding the person in a kind way.

job for a cowboys E.p was a decent record
i wish people would listen to bands and judge them for themselves rather than jump on the bandwagon of "oh no everyones going to love this so ill be different and hate it"
and due to the opening nature of your post your probably one of the people the TS is talking about
^ You are about to get verbally mindfucked by TK.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by the agony scene
i wish people would listen to bands and judge them for themselves rather than jump on the bandwagon of "oh no everyones going to love this so ill be different and hate it"
and due to the opening nature of your post your probably one of the people the TS is talking about

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's TK!

As for the topic, who cares?
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Slaytanic1993

And, TS, you completely...COMPLETELY missed the point of my post.

Actually i just felt that your point didn't really correspond to mine

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Just for the record, I thoroughly listen to any band I pass judgment on, if I have no, I will state that up front.
The Kovenant of Terror, Marshal of the Legion of Metal.

Quote by GID (Shamrock)
Br00tal, Terror Kovenant=metal's king

Same. I did that with Meshuggah, attempted them for a long time, and nothing happened.

Quote by eggsandham2
The only time metlaheads should be allowed to confine a band to just one genre is if that band embraces it or agrees with it.
Quote by Felty666
The only time metlaheads should be allowed to confine a band to just one genre is if that band embraces it or agrees with it.

So, if Cannibal Corpse considered themselves a rock n' roll band we couldn't call them death metal? *facepalm*
DT makes a fair point.

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by the agony scene

Well, Trivium is a horrible band. They dont do anything interesting, and the only reason they are considered so good is because the prepubescant teens were born before the 80s. Everything Trivium has done has been done back in the 80s. Or, by other metalcore bands. Metalcore as a genre sucks as well, btw, because its absolutely loaded with ****ty clones who do the same thing 1000 times over. (chug chug riff *squeal!*, more chug, happy chorus, rinse, and repeat)

In general, I have to agree with TK.

Quote by Felty666

So because MCR classifies themselves as metal on myspace, that makes them metal?

*facepalm*
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Apr 25, 2008,
failure of a thread
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
ololol there is no genre called symphonic deathgrindthrashmathcore. You idiotic unknowledgeable turdbag, why don't you get out of here and listen to some emo ****?

Just kidding
i'm getting seriously tired of all these genre threads. everything that can be said has already been said. genres are guidelines, not laws. genres are necessary, and people should stop bitching about them.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.