Im relatively new here and this seems to be the best placement for my question...

I just recently thought the idea of rewiring my crate gtd65 into 2 stacks of 100watt fischer speakers.. they are a single column stack with a 12 inch sub, 4 inch mid, and a 3 tweeter.. I was wondering, would it be a good idea to wire the amp itself into the speaker set? they seem to be high quality speakers yet ive never heard of them.. i got them from my moms bf and play them through a 300 watt sound system and they sound really good.. but is there any risk of frying the amp or the speakers in doing that? I do know for a fact that they can handle every inch of power my crappy crate can put out..
Quote by Xinspaly
Im relatively new here and this seems to be the best placement for my question...

I just recently thought the idea of rewiring my crate gtd65 into 2 stacks of 100watt fischer speakers.. they are a single column stack with a 12 inch sub, 4 inch mid, and a 3 tweeter.. I was wondering, would it be a good idea to wire the amp itself into the speaker set? they seem to be high quality speakers yet ive never heard of them.. i got them from my moms bf and play them through a 300 watt sound system and they sound really good.. but is there any risk of frying the amp or the speakers in doing that? I do know for a fact that they can handle every inch of power my crappy crate can put out..
Maybe not. Hifi speakers systems are rated for power with a normalized distribution of musical signals. The greatest demands for power are at the lower frequencies. The woofer will see most of the power. The midrange driver and tweeter will see much less than that rated power. Neither of them will be capable of handling anywhere near that kind of power.

A guitar produces fundamental frequencies from the upper bass region and the midrange. If you crank your amp, you will probably be able to send much more power to the midrange than it was designed to handle.

In general, hifi speakers sound crappy when used for a guitar. There are some exceptions, but it usually isn't worth doing.

Also, you need to calculate the impedance of any loads you connect to an amplifier and compare that with the manufacturers design values.

If it's a solid state amp, you could damage the amp by using a load that has an impedance that is too low compared to the value it was designed to drive.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Ahh thanks for the help man, didnt know if thatd be a good idea or not.. now i know 8)