Argh. I wrote some lyrics. A friend of mine and I, we put some chords to it ;
G, Cadd9, Em7, D (Verse)
G, D, G/E (? its x02033), Cadd9 (Chorus)
I would like to put some lead bits into it, but I have no idea what key it is in; see we didn't use chord progressions, we just stuck them together till they sounded good!
Please help, UG - what scale should I use for this song, and where should I start it from?
g major or e minor. Both are in the same key. Don't worry about the add9 chords. They are just like sus chords where thy can be played on a major or minor scale. Give that a try.
i will ask the mods to put you in the MT forum i don't think this is the write place so thats y i say

*reported*

G/E (? its x02033) possibly an Eminadd11 i don't know lol
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Apr 25, 2008,
For future reference the chord you named as "G/E"is called A7sus4 or simply Asus. I would recommend playing in the key of G major or E minor (though G major would probably work "better").

I know that some people here may suggest various modes that will sound good to solo in but I predict that this song probably doesn't need very complicated lead parts.
He is correct, G major is its key.

Quote by Tsunoyukami
For future reference the chord you named as "G/E"is called A7sus4 or simply Asus. I would recommend playing in the key of G major or E minor

Since the key is G, then it would be called Am7sus4 because in the key of G, A has a minor seventh, not a dominant seventh as your name misleads. Not saying anything else is wrong, just a lil technicality
Last edited by st.stephen at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by Phat Stud 55
g major or e minor. Both are in the same key.
No, not quite. They're different and this song is in G major.

Quote by Phat Stud 55
Don't worry about the add9 chords. They are just like sus chords where thy can be played on a major or minor scale. Give that a try.
Add9 chords are not always replacements for major or minor chords. Bm fits in the key of G; Bmadd9 contains C#, which is not in the G major scale.

Edit:

Quote by st.stephen
Since the key is G, then it would be called Am7sus4 because in the key of G, A has a minor seventh, not a dominant seventh as your name misleads. Not saying anything else is wrong, just a lil technicality
You're aware tha a minor seventh and a dominant seventh refer to the same kind of 7th, yes?

The idea of calling something Am7sus4 is silly, IMMHOHO. A7sus4 works fine for me, even though the A triad chord would be minor.
Okay, cheers people!!
Sorry if I misplaced this, I had no idea where to stick it!!
G Major it is then
EDIT:
Quote by Tsunoyukami
I know that some people here may suggest various modes that will sound good to solo in but I predict that this song probably doesn't need very complicated lead parts.

You are very right No Steve Vai shred here. I'm aiming for something like in Smooth by Santana, where you have some licks in between verses, and a solo . Problem is, I can only really attempt bluesy solos, which don't really fit
Last edited by gabcd86 at Apr 25, 2008,
Quote by Tsunoyukami
This isn't really modal. Regular G major will work fine.

However, that doesn't mean that you should feel the need to be simple; feel free to (and please do) experiment a whole bunch.

On a side note, if you haven't noticed, the D note on the B string is played in every chord. Just thought I'd comment on that.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Edit:

You're aware tha a minor seventh and a dominant seventh refer to the same kind of 7th, yes?

The idea of calling something Am7sus4 is silly, IMMHOHO. A7sus4 works fine for me, even though the A triad chord would be minor.

True, but it doesn't give an accurate description of the triad for what key it is in, therefore we are both correct. For me personally, I would write it Am7sus4, even though it's silly. I dunno it just helps me visualize
Last edited by st.stephen at Apr 25, 2008,
The idea of including the "minor" is that the standard triad is a minor chord rather than the major chord usually associated with a sus4 chord. However, if I saw that in music, it would confuse me and the goal of writing music is to make it as easy as possible to read. The only reason to include the "minor" is for analysis, but you would be able to figure out that the chord would be minor rather than major in an instant, making the inclusion rather useless IMMHOHO.

I've heard of this notation being used, but I dislike it. But that's just my $0.02.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The idea of including the "minor" is that the standard triad is a minor chord rather than the major chord usually associated with a sus4 chord. However, if I saw that in music, it would confuse me and the goal of writing music is to make it as easy as possible to read. The only reason to include the "minor" is for analysis, but you would be able to figure out that the chord would be minor rather than major in an instant, making the inclusion rather useless IMMHOHO.

I've heard of this notation being used, but I dislike it. But that's just my $0.02.

Aha I understand where you're coming from, and yes to tell the truth that is how I play my chords gotta work on that a bit, I tend to overcomplify things a bit. BTW what does IMMHOHO stand for? Some variation of in my humble opinion? IMHO
Quote by bangoodcharlote
This isn't really modal. Regular G major will work fine.

However, that doesn't mean that you should feel the need to be simple; feel free to (and please do) experiment a whole bunch.

I'm aware that this isn't really modal, but I expected that at least one person would come in here and suggest a C Lydian or something.

Also, I too find the Am7sus4 chord name to be a little bit redundant but I understand that it could be more useful when trying to fully explain the tonality of the chord. I still prefer to call it simply A7sus4 because I believe that the chords around it will imply that it is a "minor" chord.
Quote by st.stephen
and yes to tell the truth that is how I play my chords
How? You wouldn't include a C note in that Am7sus4 chord, would you? Don't play a C note!!!!!

IMMHOHO=In My Most Humble Of Humble Opinions

Quote by Tsunoyukami
C Lydian
Given that the song is in G, that would not be used. G Ionian I could live with, though I prefer to call it Natural Major.

However, you could throw some G Lydian in over the chords that don't contain or imply a C note (or even just contain, really).