My drummers bass, which i use every once in a while, sounds like it has a very strong compression on it, like around 5:1, only theres no compression in the signal path and the amp doesn't have a built in compression. It starts right after the initial attack. Any ideas on what could be causing it and how to fix it?
Is it electric. If yes try turning down the bass eq. If it's acoustic try loosing or tightening the heads. Sorry if i can't help that much i'm not really the person to ask on that.
Tried it in a different amp? It might be on it's way out.

Guitar might have its own 'brickwall' as well (so it doesn't clip).
I don't think its the EQ but I'll check the connections when i see it again. And why would a bass have a 'brickwall' the poweramp and pre-amp sections are the areas that clip not the bass?
The problem seems to be in the EQ. I doubt it's a built in compression unit, because generally you would know about that. It might be a clip protection type of thing, but it wouldn't do anything like what you're describing. I think the problem might be that you're cutting your mids and you're just experiencing a hollow tone.
I don't think it has to do with a hollow tone, it sounds exactly like a compressor, but I'll try boosting the mids more. I know it's not a built in compression because its a starter bass, and if it helps anyone it's a Yamaha RBX 170.
Quote by hippiebass
I don't think its the EQ but I'll check the connections when i see it again. And why would a bass have a 'brickwall' the poweramp and pre-amp sections are the areas that clip not the bass?

If they were active pickups it would make sense if there was a limiter, although unusual.

I can't say much except to try it in a different amp and see what happens.
Last edited by Mr_Pleb_Mgoo at Apr 25, 2008,
I've used it wth a Hartke B600 which i know doesn't have a compressor and a yamaha something power amp.