I play in a metal/death metal/hard rock/hardcore band and i want to find a pedal that sounds good for it and im thinking either Boss Metal Core, Digitech Distortion Factory, or a Boss Metal Zone, which one would be the best, i cant decide.
Sorry, but they're all crappy.

Now, first, what amp do you have? Do not go for BOSS distortion pedals, they are absolutely terrible.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
if you want **** loads of gain, go with the metal core. if you want a very versitile distortion pedal with enough gain for anything, go with the metal zone. and if you want to experiment with distortion, go with the distortion factory.
Quote by Colgate Total
Sorry, but they're all crappy.

Now, first, what amp do you have? Do not go for BOSS distortion pedals, they are absolutely terrible.

well i have a Peavey KB/A 300, whats some good distortion i should check out?
Quote by samlocke14
if you want **** loads of gain, go with the metal core. if you want a very versitile distortion pedal with enough gain for anything, go with the metal zone. and if you want to experiment with distortion, go with the distortion factory.

The Metal Zone is hardly versatile.

+1 to the Metal Muff.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Go with the metal muff. I've used some other metal pedals and I like the Metal muff the best because even though it's a metal distortion you can pull some sweet overdrive tones out of it.
i have to say metal zone, even tho all those suck. get a death metal petal, good qulity and a good price
Quote by surge666
i have to say metal zone, even tho all those suck. get a death metal petal, good qulity and a good price

Death Metal= just no.

Get a Metal Muff.
The Metal Zone is much better than the Metal Core, trust me. At my school we got the Metal core and the sound is awfully muddy and it keeps feedbacking. It just sounds like a buncha distorsion more like notes played on a guitar. The Metal Zone ain't that bad, but it's not the best.
Pretty funny that everyone here is ripping on boss metal zone... especially considering one of the greatest melodic death metal bands of all time, At The Gates used them on slaughter of the soul.
http://www.tonebone.com/ supposed to be incredible... never actually used. as for current choices listen to samlocke

edit:make sure you have a eq pedal 5 band plus and a noise gate those are your most important effects.
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.
Last edited by BAoxymoron at Apr 26, 2008,
Bro go electro-harmonix metal muff!!! if you dial in right and know what you are doing you can get really good low ends and high ends no problem.
In some demos of the Metal Zone, it sounds really thin, but in others, it sounds pretty 'heavy'. I was planning on buying a used one but I just found out how to get the best of my EHX Big Muff NYC - by turning the gain button of my li' **** amp, it kind of 'cleans up' the fuzz a little bit and gives it a nice tight metal distortion.
Save up for a proper amp - you're fighting a losing battle trying to get good distorted tones out of an amp that's voiced for keyboards and acoustics. It's designed to reproduce sounds, not create them and it's also designed to reproduce higher frequencies, not the low end you want in metal. The three pedals you've picked are pretty appalling - for the price of the pedals that are worth considering you're most of the way to a new amp.

The amps powerful, but that's it - otherwise it's completely unsuitable for your needs...it's like turning up to a drag race in the world's fastest boat.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Apr 26, 2008,
go with the metal muff. i use a danelectro wasabi overdrive to tighten up the sound of the muff, plus it got a seperate volume boost for leads. thats all the metal you'll ever need.
Quote by psychedelic14
The Metal Zone, but its not great. Get an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff, its much better.

when you guys say metal muff do you mean the 1 with top boost or the micro/nano
The one with top boost would be better, the micro/nano muffs are almost the same thing except with less buttons to play around with.
Metal Muff, easy choice...i bought a metal zone returned it b/c of GC's 30 day tryout thing they have, then got a death metal and returned it....then bought the Metal Muff and made love to my guitar for hours, its a much better pedal...the top boost feature is pretty cool too you can completely change the sound.
The Metal Muff and Digitech Metal Master are your friends on this expenditure.
Quote by Local666Union
Death Metal= just no.

Agreed,
I have one of the Death Metal pedals and its just terrible.
Please get a new amp instead...You will be MUCH happier in the end. A distortion pedal is only a temporary fix. Because, then to get the sound you want...you'll need an EQ, and a Noise Gate....then you'll wanna warm up the sound and buy some preamp.

Or, save yourself the hassle, and just bite the bullet and buy a hi gain amp, tailored to what you wanna play. You could sell the keyboard amp, and that would help a lot. Then you go buy an amp. You will be happier, and in the long run, spend less money than trying to polish a turd.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
the metal zone is ****, the metal core is worse.
get a metal muff.

and instead of saying, "I play in a metal/death metal/hard rock/hardcore band," why not just say "i play metal?"
I have the metal core pedal...it's not very versatile at all. It's sometimes hard to get a good tone out of it, and there's no mid control for the pedal. But I manage with it.

But, if I were you, I'd do what these guys are saying and get the metal muff.