ok im a total noob at recording so i just wanted to clear that up.

What type of device do I need to plug my guitar into so I can use with a recording software.

Can I just you a cheap toneport gx and use a program like protools?
yea, I guess...
it wont be great, especially if your recording a band, dont think that you'll get a great sound out of it
Total cheapo way of getting crude recordings (cost me about £3 and i did some reasonably good keyboard samples):

The really really cheap way (If you dont mind sacrificing sound quality toooo much) is get a double ended 1.5mm jack and a converter for one of the jack end to become a 3 mm. plug the 1.5 mm end into the pcs mic in and the 3mm end into a guitar pedal (or an amp but really quiet). then fiddle with the sound settings on the taskbars audio "volume" then change the recording to mic in (adjust volume if its peaking) then record in audacity.

guitar>fx pedal>3mm converter>1.5mm lead> mic in (the red hole in the PC)
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Quote by Unreal T
ok im a total noob at recording so i just wanted to clear that up.

What type of device do I need to plug my guitar into so I can use with a recording software.

Can I just you a cheap toneport gx and use a program like protools?

You won't be able to use Protools, but a Toneport GX is sufficient. The combo of KRISTAL and Audacity should satisfy most your needs until you get more proficient at production.

The pedal trick is also a good idea.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101