Anyone ever do it before? In the next few years I'm probably going to be getting a new one to keep up with the modern gaming demand (I've got an AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.0GhZ currently) and I have no idea if it's as simple as a RAM install
It's a little more advanced than putting in a stick of RAM because you have to take out the heatsink/fan etc, clean the old thermal compound of it, put in the new processor and put thermal compound on it. The heatsink in mine was quite tricky to get back on, I even had to take a few leads out of the motherboard to get it off.

I'd advise either getting a guide for it, or getting a professional to do it.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
before you go out and spend any money on a new processor, make sure it fits in your socket type and is compatible with your video card and whatnot..

What are your computer's specs? it might be an overall better deal for you to buy/build a new computer entirely.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
before you go out and spend any money on a new processor, make sure it fits in your socket type and is compatible with your video card and whatnot..

What are your computer's specs? it might be an overall better deal for you to buy/build a new computer entirely.

Any processor is compatible with any video card, but you definitely need to make sure you have the right slot. You'll probably need a whole new motherboard, because your current processor is a Socket 939 CPU, which is dead, even to AMD now. But honestly, it is very easy. You need to be careful and ground yourself, and be a little easy with the heatsink. Also, don't push the processor too much. It should have a ZIF (zero-insertion force) lever of some sort.

But bottom line: Make sure everything is compatible, and have some faith in yourself. You'll do fine.
Quote by MustangMan311
Any processor is compatible with any video card, but you definitely need to make sure you have the right slot. You'll probably need a whole new motherboard, because your current processor is a Socket 939 CPU, which is dead, even to AMD now. But honestly, it is very easy. You need to be careful and ground yourself, and be a little easy with the heatsink. Also, don't push the processor too much. It should have a ZIF (zero-insertion force) lever of some sort.

But bottom line: Make sure everything is compatible, and have some faith in yourself. You'll do fine.

Hmm, I've been building a few laptops on different sites lately and when I change processors, it tells me that some are incompatible with some video cards. Maybe I am mistaken.

But ya, I would just go for a new computer all together.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
Hmm, I've been building a few laptops on different sites lately and when I change processors, it tells me that some are incompatible with some video cards. Maybe I am mistaken.

But ya, I would just go for a new computer all together.
That's a chip set issue I think.
Quote by RPGoof
Anyone ever do it before? In the next few years I'm probably going to be getting a new one to keep up with the modern gaming demand (I've got an AMD Athlon 3800+ 2.0GhZ currently) and I have no idea if it's as simple as a RAM install

For the 3800+, don't bother. Plan on getting another motherboard when you upgrade, be it an Intel or AM2 chipset. In any case, what's said before with the thermal paste (and being VERY careful not to bend any pins) is correct.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101