Poll: Which A-Barre chord do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which A-Barre chord do you prefer?
The basic A barre
11 28%
The double barre!
26 65%
I can't do any barre chords...
3 8%
Voters: 40.
So, I've been playing for like 3 to 4 years now, but I still am not sure if I'm doing the right thing with my barre chords. Yeah, I know I'm dumb but so what?

Anyway, I'm not talking about the E-chord-based barre chord.

I'm talking about the double barre...

I just wanna know which do you guys prefer most. The first way to hold the chord, or the second way?

The first way, is here... It's the basic A chord with a bar.

The second way is here... It's the double bar!

I'll make a poll too...

As for me, I can do both of them but when I do the double barre, I would mute the high e string... While when I do the normal A chord bar, the first way, I'd get a clear sound, except that in both, the low E string is muted.

So, please fill up the polls?

PS: I'm sorry if the pics are kinda big!
Last edited by KIDRoach at Apr 25, 2008,
When strumming through a load of different chords, I tend to use the double barre method for convenience; but the basic A shape makes changing between the sus2 and major chords easier.
The double barre makes it possible to play suspended chords with your other fingers on a higher fret than the second barre. At least, that's why I learned it that way.
Quote by NovaLau
i almost had a threesome..i just needed 2 more people
I personally prefer the double barre.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
your not actually playing the A barre chord. thats a D barre chord. (if that was your question)

i'm lazy so double barre for me.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Last edited by aradine at Apr 26, 2008,
^That is not my question.

Still, how in the world did you know that I was barring the fifth fret? For all you know, I might as well bar the third fret as a D chord I was barring the fifth though
I try and do the double barre. The 'A' style just gets too hard once you get past the fifth or sixth fret, the spacing just becomes too small to fit three fingers in there at once.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I use the double barre. Although the double barre stops the high E string from playing, that doesn't have to be a bad thing. The A chord doesn't need the E from the high string because the E is played on the D string. Its a personal preference which chord sounds best. They are both correct.
Quote by MrFlibble
I try and do the double barre. The 'A' style just gets too hard once you get past the fifth or sixth fret, the spacing just becomes too small to fit three fingers in there at once.

Hehe, I have super thin fingers; I can fit all four fingers into the twelfth fret. which is why I'm using the single barre at the moment -- my puny ring finger won't hold the double barre properly and I don't have problems fitting my fingers in. I'm working on being able to use both though.
^I would try to use the pinky to bar except that my pinky never has enough power to bar enough strings...

Quote by Axe Murderer
I do double barre. I dont use my pinky. Your strings look terrible....

Yup, it's been about 3 months since I last changed them. Waiting for them to snap anytime now.