Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Purely by looks, the new one is poo. I don't know what the newer generation will have to offer by was of sound quality, but that's just the impression I get from how it looks.

Amen, dude. That thing is hideous. Why ruin a good thing?
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
They took away the gigantic pickup and replaced it with a toaster pickup? Wow, I love Rickenbacker, but they should stay with the classic.

Edit: No bound body? My bullshit alarm is ringing. That has to be a copy, no way Rick would go THAT far off the beaten path.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
They took away the gigantic pickup and replaced it with a toaster pickup? Wow, I love Rickenbacker, but they should stay with the classic.

Edit: No bound body? My bullshit alarm is ringing. That has to be a copy, no way Rick would go THAT far off the beaten path.

That's a Rick. Check their website. Here it is, http://www.rickenbacker.com/model_all.asp?series=4000 .
Quote by hippiebass
That's a Rick. Check their website. Here it is, http://www.rickenbacker.com/model_all.asp?series=4000 .

That is incredibly depressing, I am shocked that they removed their giant pickup. I always thought it was the most defining feature of the bass, that pickup, in one form or the other, was on near every single bass they made.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Oh that's rather sad, like Salvador Dali designed a Rickenbacker. And I don't mean that in a good way.
This bass has been out for years, guys. It's not a replacement, it's an addition. It has Active Humbuckers, and is of the same superior quality as the 4003.
Rickenbacker 4003
Big Muff Pi
Ashdown Chorus Plus
Digitech Whammy
Peavey Volume
Cry Baby Bass Wah
Small Stone
TR-2 Tremolo
Peavey TNT 115

...I have an empty wallet.
I like it, but Im not very fond of how Rics look, how they sound, yes, but not looks,to me these new ones look sleeker, but meh,I'm just weird
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I take it no one this whole thread has seen the 4004LK?

So an irishman walks out of a bar.
I'm sure everyone in the world has seen the Lemmy sig Rick. It's always worth posting a photo of it though.

The Rickenbastard
The Rickenbastard

Now, that's an awesome looking bass. Oak leaves carved into it...gold hardware...me wants.
Quote by hippiebass

i think they look cool. rounded/softer edges would be a great improvement. the new p-up config could work. i'm withholding final judgment until i play one. besides, i love a matching headstock.

Edit: looks to me like they are trying to compete with the Jazz bass. and that's a good thing for us bass players.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Apr 26, 2008,
I like how people think that just because Rickenbacker basses have a famous design that is very popular , they shouldn't try making something which is slightly different.

John Hall said in an interview that he had plenty of ideas to make the 4000 series better, but he isn't going to use them because people would complain about how different they would be.
I dig it wouldn't mind trying one. Though I love all rics in any form.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Purely by looks, the new one is poo. I don't know what the newer generation will have to offer by was of sound quality, but that's just the impression I get from how it looks.

+1, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

Quote by Tallman
...am I the only one who prefers this to the original?

probably
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
Quote by TheHatta
I like how people think that just because Rickenbacker basses have a famous design that is very popular , they shouldn't try making something which is slightly different.

John Hall said in an interview that he had plenty of ideas to make the 4000 series better, but he isn't going to use them because people would complain about how different they would be.

I wouldn't mind a new Rick design, all the power to them. All I'm saying is this one looks like poo, nothing more, nothing less. I think the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule is wrong in two ways. One, if we had always followed that, where the hell would we be now? Improvement is never bad. And two, the grammar of that statement is dreadful.

I said that the bass isn't an improvement, in the looks department. It looks worse to me. The jazz bass and the precision bass look fairly different and are both nice looking. The 4003 and 4004 both look fairly different, but only one looks good in my eyes. This isn't even commenting on the sound, as I've never played one. Maybe it's AWESOME. I don't know.
well i tried to find a sound clip and came up empty handed but i looked on talk bass and a dude who owns 3(including the one with the leaves) says its jsut like classis rick tone with more low end...which to me was the only thing classeic rick was missing so this to me should be etter

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I guess we can't deny that the look of a Ric is a bit of an acquired taste and IMO are VERY period-specific, and those "modern Rics" have the same Ric look with a little less... Rickiness.

However, the fact that I've never, ever, ever seen a player with one speaks volumes.

EDIT: Those Rics are the only ones that are available in 5-string as new, so if you're a 5-player and want a new Ric, it's the only game in town.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Apr 27, 2008,
Quote by thefitz

However, the fact that I've never, ever, ever seen a player with one speaks volumes.

Theres also the backlog to consider and the fact that alot of people are probably already set on a 4003 when they consider buying a Rick because of its iconic reputation and status. Theres a surprising amount of 4004s in the main Talkbass Rickenbacker thread.
I don't like the look. it's like a Rickenbacker Wonkabass.
It probably sounds less ricky.

hmmm. it says hardwood body on the site.
anybody know what that means? is it like the Stingrays?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
I don't like the look. it's like a Rickenbacker Wonkabass.

hmmm. it says hardwood body on the site.
anybody know what that means? is it like the Stingrays?

Erm, on the Rick site it says Charactered Maple and Walnut.

Quote by kranoscorp
That is incredibly depressing, I am shocked that they removed their giant pickup. I always thought it was the most defining feature of the bass, that pickup, in one form or the other, was on near every single bass they made.

They're the same pickups, just without the cover that comes on the 4001/3 and moved nearer to the bridge.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Last edited by Nutter_101 at Apr 27, 2008,
thanks. must have been the wrong thing or something I was looking at.
sounds like it's deeper.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity

that could be a good thing....ricks are great but not the most versatile....and very hit and miss tone.....if these new ones are bit different or more versitile that could be a good thing.....and i dont think alot of people know about the newer ones again like who ever said because of the 4003's iconicness....i want one of both :p.....my bass teacher has on from the early 80's with a baII bridge on it.....its pretty rad

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Quote by Nutter_101
Erm, on the Rick site it says Charactered Maple and Walnut.

They're the same pickups, just without the cover that comes on the 4001/3 and moved nearer to the bridge.

The pickups on the 4004 look more like Ric's toaster pickups than their giant ones to me.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
The pickups on the 4004 look more like Ric's toaster pickups than their giant ones to me.

honestly i hate everything about how any rick pick up....aside from the sound

i hate the placement, how big they are, just how they look i hate it

This would have been ok if they had shrunk the headstock...it looks way out of proportion.
Nope, no sig here.