hey i have no clue how to record. recently we recorded this song on our myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/whatthedeadknowmd

and it sounds like ****. we recorded by putting a mic in front if the amp and just micing my friends vocals. yet it sounds like ****. who do we make it soudn good? wat equipment do we need? is it ****ty mics?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Well, what's the recording equipment and what stuff do you need? Maybe most importantly...what's the budget here?

And I don't think the MG is helping, to be frank.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Last edited by Fast_Fingers at Apr 25, 2008,
its easier to plug right into an interface, if u have the proper computer programs like fruitloops or something. my cousin does this type of stuff. you can plug in and it will record the track of whatever instrument. after that, mic the drums and then lay the tracks over each other and edit.

if u dont like this type of recording then nvm. it might be too computerized for some people.
we just have a simple Mic, and use the audacity recording program. if u notice the vocals don't blend well with the guitar how do we getthem to blend well. also will recording with my peavey help the sound?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
k well u also dont have a bass, so it sounds really dry IMO. not to mention no drums. do u have any other music creator/recording programs?
is it the mics? are there certain mics that are used just for recording instruments?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Quote by kazra90
we just have a simple Mic, and use the audacity recording program. if u notice the vocals don't blend well with the guitar how do we getthem to blend well. also will recording with my peavey help the sound?

1. The Peavey will help incredibly. 5150's are awesome.
2. A SM57 really close to the mike speaker will be much clearer. One in the center and the other off-center is even better. It also wouldn't hurt getting a SM58 (clearer) or Behringer XM8500 (it's a bit darker) for your singer, or if you can, a used Sennheiser MD421.

You may want to look into a DI box or interface (that'll improve overall sound quality too), and possibly (if you don't want to keep playing stuff over and over to get the right tone) a Reamp. A good interface that'll handle both tracks is the Mackie Onyx (180), which has very clear preamps. It's $180. A perfectly acceptable substitute is the Tascam US122L (120). Plug the microphones into those. Ideally, do the singer and guitar playing separately, guitar first.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
its really hard to get a good sound by just MIC-ing and amp. u have to have a good mic 1st, and even then it isnt that great. u need an interface and a better music program. try Pro Tools. other than that i really cant say much else. i just got off the phone wit my cuz and thats what he told me.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
1. The Peavey will help incredibly. 5150's are awesome.
2. A SM57 really close to the mike speaker will be much clearer. One in the center and the other off-center is even better. It also wouldn't hurt getting a SM58 (clearer) or Behringer XM8500 (it's a bit darker) for your singer, or if you can, a used Sennheiser MD421.

You may want to look into a DI box or interface (that'll improve overall sound quality too), and possibly (if you don't want to keep playing stuff over and over to get the right tone) a Reamp. A good interface that'll handle both tracks is the Mackie Onyx (180), which has very clear preamps. It's $180. A perfectly acceptable substitute is the Tascam US122L (120). Plug the microphones into those. Ideally, do the singer and guitar playing separately, guitar first.

what he said lol bout the interface. best way to do it IMO
u mean much closer to the amp speaker?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
will this work? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mackie-Onyx-Satellite-Recording-Interface?sku=248154

what exactly does it do? how does it work?

sry for the stupid question but i have no clue when it comes to recording
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
also does it have to do with my soundcard?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Yes, it has a LOT do with your soundcard, in all probability. Check the recording videos in the stickies for starters, you'll find a lot of useful information in there.

Basically, there's a lot to learn in the recording world, and a lot of gear to purchase, so I'm not going into detail . However, you'll be able to get a much better sound with a USB or Firewire interface (which will bypass your soundcard and create a clearer sound with less latency) and a decent mic.

You don't need Pro Tools or anything expensive like that (Pro Tools only works with certain hardware anyway) , Audacity will do , or download Reaper. I use the Alesis IO2 USB interface at home, and it's good for recording one or two tracks at a time, not to mention cheap. Then record using using a decent mic, like a Shure SM57, which is a popular choice and works well.
There is poetry in despair.
I second the post of reading up on the info both here at this site and Tweaks Guide linked in my sig.

as stated before, theres a lot to learn about recording and if you are unsure about something you could easily buy the wrong piece of gear and end up loosing money.

To answer your question you posted in many threads about that interface, yes its a good product. As you can probably see, I suggest it a lot around here.
Last edited by moody07747 at Apr 27, 2008,