Hey UG, lately i've really been watching slash play and i really love his tone. I want to know how to get his tone. I know he uses Marshall Amps and a les paul, but thats all i know. what amp would get me close to his tone, but yet still have good cleans when i play blues. Also what effects does he use?? Does he uses a distortion pedal? Even if he doesn't give me a distortion pedal that will get close to his distortion. I was thinking a metal muf but idk. So if you guys could help me that would be great! Thanks!
Metal Muff, no. I'm not sure, Slash is a pretty straightforward tonal fellow. Basically you're going to need a cranked Marshall JCM800 and a Les Paul, with an occasional bit of Dunlop Crybaby.
sigh...
Silver Jubilee stack, cranked
Wah
Les Paul w/SD Alnico IIs

....in other words, please state your budget.
Slash's tone is very full and warm. Use your neck pickup a lot and roll back your tone knob(s).
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
you can suggest any pedals but for the amp, I would like it to be 700-750$ new, but i would probably look for something used on ebay.
Definitely a JCM800. Maybe an attenuator so you can OD the amp without any pedals, and a dunlop wah. Get some Alnico II pros for your les paul (you do have a les paul, right?) and you should be all set.
Several tube amps, not too much distortion but enough.. definatley play on the neck pickup.. and yeahh.. you can get a nice slash tone like that, but the les paul probably plays a big role in it.
won't be the exact but sounds a good deal close.
More Cowbell!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Depends on what she's on top of. If she's on top of my pizza I'm gonna have to scissor kick a bitch.

MY BUILD!
Quote by Nitroduck
More Cowbell!

Hahaha but yea guys i have a epi les paul standard.
Quote by Roc8995
Definitely a JCM800. Maybe an attenuator so you can OD the amp without any pedals, and a dunlop wah. Get some Alnico II pros for your les paul (you do have a les paul, right?) and you should be all set.

JCM800 is too much even on ebay. What other amps will get me close.
handsome devil or Hothead will give you marshall sound. so will a Traynor so look into them used. in fact i think a traynor might be a more reliable bet, only b/c they've been around longer and people KNOW they'll last. otherwise i'd keep recommending the blackheart series....i get awesome G N R tones on mine.

but yes, you NEED a cranked british voiced amp. get an OD on a tube amp to get a very simliar sound. the neck pup on a les paul helps a LOT.

and most important, use NATURAL amp distortion/overdrive. use the neck pup mostly for leads and a lil riffing, but usually the bridge on for riffing and anything that isn't lead. there's a few songs on Appetite where it doesn't seem like he switches to the neck pup for the quick leads and solos. and that's pretty irregular for slash, b/c if you watch him live, you can see that his selector switch is constantly going back and forth and his volume and tone knobs are constantly being rolled back and forth. this guy KNOWS how to utilize tube amp greatness.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Which traynor? ycv 50 blue seems like the best bet, but will pretty much all of the amps get me a good tone for him??
On top of the marshall and everything, a lot of his fluidity comes from his hands. Work hard on your vibrato. And like slash_rocks says, you need to know how to use your volume knob and pup switch.

So a list - an amp with british sounding natural distortion
- good use of your guitar's controls, because they're the start of the signal chain -they effect tone the most.

I don't really have many marshall amp suggestions, cause I'm more of a 6l6 fan.

Oh i wanted to ask, how handy are you? I know my guitar teacher gutted an old fender and kept the transformer and speaker. With that he built and 18watt marshall clone. It wasn't that big of a job. Check the site 18watt dot com.

Happy hunting man.

Anyway,
well the problem w/ that traynor is it's prolly overkill for you rite now. personally i'd go for the handsome devil lol. master volume and drive knobs give it a lil more tonal options than the little giant. though w/ the little giant i can get a great distortion when dimed. it's got just a lil less gain than needed for G N R...they use quite a bit of drive. but my bad monkey adds that needed OOMPH in the lows, mids and highs and saturates it more. you really gotta have some good soulful vibrato and a lil legato to start sounding like slash. the misunderstanding w/ most people here on UG is that slash can't play fast- that's very untrue-slash can't SHRED, but he can play fast. the ending solo in paradise city is proof right there that he is capable of fast leadwork, but not ONLY fast, it's also ACCURATE and CONTROLLED. his hammer-ons and pull-offs are so fluent, on a regular slash lead lick he sounds about 3 times more notes than he actually picks. that right there is more key to his tone.

hope i'm helping, i'm still trying to get a good slash style going on.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
i am sure you could find a used JCM800 within a week or so that is in ur price range if you MUST have a marshall. those are one of the best models they made so you definitely would love it. but after playing the blackheart and comparing it to the newer JCM model, i would much rather use a blackheart for any sounds that are marshally. i got some excellent hendrix through it also.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Quote by zaffie8808
you can suggest any pedals but for the amp, I would like it to be 700-750$ new, but i would probably look for something used on ebay.

Traynor YCV50 Blue
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hughes and kettner 20th annerversary tube edition. it has lovely cleans and a really marshall sounding drive channel. has more than enough gain on tap for slash.