Hey Randall lovers!

If anyone is interested, I have come up with a "Tube Boost" mod for the Randall RG100ES head. This mod seems to add a huge tonal tube like quality to the head, and basically makes your RG100ES sound like you've replaced the transistors with tubes.

I think it's a killer mod, but would like to see what other people think of the sound and tone, so the mod is free for the asking. All you need is a soldering iron, some soldering skills, wire and a 3300uf electrolytic capacitor.

If anyone has the CFH diode mod for this amp, I would really like to get my hands on it ASAP, so I can put my amp back together and get jammin again.

You'll have to email me for the full size photos since this sight limits your attachments to 50kb.

BMW FREQ
Attachments:
RG100ES_Tube_Boost_Mod_diag_closeup.JPG
Last edited by bmwfreq at Apr 26, 2008,
so it was originally a SS amp right? can i do this to any SS amp? it looks like a great idea!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
My guess is you're just rolling off a bit of treble, from my understanding of that picture anyway.
Not exactly a tube-ish mod, but if it sounds good - great
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Wow - for a minute there I thought I was in the wrong forum - criticism AND unsolicited advertising.

Any way, to answer your question Matt, yes, you could probably do this to any SS amp, but as to where the capacitor would be located in the circuit is dependent on the amp. This mod is specific to the RG100ES ONLY. It took me a good couple of hours, different resistors and caps in multiple locations to find a sound that I thought was worthy of a mod posting.

So, if someone would like to add a little rounder/tube type sound to their RG100ES, here ya go.

By the way, this mod did not in any way remove any highs from the circuit, but merely added a lot of roundish tube type sound to the bass circuit. If you run this through a switch on the front panel like I did, you always have the option of turning the mod on and off.

With that said, if anyone would like to attempt this mod, I would like to know what you think when you're done.

Cheers!
Last edited by bmwfreq at Apr 27, 2008,
thanks i think i might try this when i get a second amp heh, good luck with your future mods

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost