I have a Crate Bx-15, it has15 watts with an 8" speaker, will it allows me to jam with drums and guitar? The drums is just your typical 5 piece with a ride, crash and HH. Guitar is using a 15 watt guitar amp (unknown what it is). Will this be enough to play, and be heard, with these instruments?

If it matters, it will be a 3-piece band, covering the likes of everything from Rush to Iron Maiden (yes, a 3 piece band covering iron maiden :P)

pepsi
Probably not. I struggled to get my 30W Vox loud enough back in the day.
Quote by Vindication
sorry, but were you born a dumbass or did your mom n' dad take turns bashing your head with cinderblocks?

Quote by Gemini
You know that if you image search "pitbulls humping", all that comes up is a myspace a guy made for their dog?

I didn't actually..
Quote by Guitar_Jester
No.

This.

Unless your drummer is playing with brushes uber quitely.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
no, especially with the speaker, with bass, you want at least a 12", preferably a 15" to get over a drumset. My little G-K has enough power to make it over a drumset at 70w but it only has a 10" speaker, so by the time I crank it above 4 or so, it fuzzes out like crazy. I'd say shoot for a 50w or so with a 12" or bigger speaker. Hell go with a behringer and you can get it dirt cheap, 120w for $150: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-BX1200-Ultrabass-120W-1x12-Combo?sku=480675V
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

... wow...
ok, you're going to need AT LEAST 100w to compete with a drummer + guitarist. The more wattage the better. Whats your budget? You're looking at around $300-$400US minimum for a new, good amp that will last a while. Carvin, Ashdown, and Hartke are all good names. If you've got a tight budget, you can get a good solid one used for a bit less if you look around. Craigslist is a good place to start.

And, whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM BEHRINGER!. They state peak wattage, which is rarely reached. Divide the wattage about in half to get a better estimate. Plus there stuff is rarely if ever designed by them, just cheap knockoffs made in china. Every one I have tried, including their $550us halfstack, has sounded like crap.
live to jam and jam to live
You'll need more like 150W With either a 15" speaker or an arangement of multiple 12" or 10" speakers to have a chance against a drummer.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Yea, no. Its fine for practicing in your bedroom, but its not gonna work in an ensemble setting. People all have their ideas of what you need to play with a drummer, but I dont think anyone hear would say you can go less then 100 watts. Id say personally that 150 watts is enough to be heard without distorting, but if you can get 200 watts, go for it, the extra wattage is really nice to have.
Nope not enough. I agree you need at least between 100-150 Watts with a 12" speaker or up.

Those 15Watts combos have only 1 purpose: Practice in your bedroom. You might be able to jam with a giutar on a simular watt amp but by no means will you be heard against a drummer.
To Be is to Do -Socrates-
To Do is to Be -Sartre-
Do be do be do -Sinatra
- 70 Watts; you'll be struggling to fight the drums al the time
- 100 Watts; you can make it vs drums and guitar but you have to crank the amp max, sometimes at loss of clarity/quality
- 150 Watts; this is where things get better. Usually takes on drum alright
- Anything 300 and higher; you'll never need something louder again
- 15W Only if the drums are in another room
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I had to play with a 15w amp when i first started out. It makes a great amp for at home ( i mean tone is still crap but it doesn't take up alot of room) but when I tried to play with a 10w guitar amp and a 5pc Drum set in a SKA band it deffiniatly didn't work. I had to sit on my amp to hear (read:feel) myself. Terrible.

I now run 300w GK and the guitarist is on a 100w marshall. It works out great. The guitar can still get louder but with reasonable levels it works awsome.

If your playing with drums you need more than 15w.

maybe look at a 100w combo if your on a budget. I wouldn't advise Berhinger.

-Ryan
Quote by Jared R. Boyd

maybe look at a 100w combo if your on a budget. I wouldn't advise Berhinger.

-Ryan

+10000000

Don't trust *anything* that says Behringer and I mean *anything* (unless you want to buy something for someone who can't tell the difference between music and hum. And not just hum. The King of Hum. And of hiss. And noise. And everything remotely related).

(I still have a Behringer mixing console, but that's because I rarely ever use a mixing console. Or perpaps, I don't use it because it is a Behringer? Hmm )
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by gm jack
You'll need more like 150W With either a 15" speaker or an arangement of multiple 12" or 10" speakers to have a chance against a drummer.

Jack is dead on. My ampeg 3158 (15 and 8" speaker combo) is just enough to get over the drums and even then my drummer has a bit of a time hearing me on louder songs.

Quote by bornfidelity
15W Only if the drums are in another room

This made me laugh. In my house, the way the drummer plays it would require being in another part of the city block to be heard over him with a 15W. Even when he used brushes, I couldn't get around him on a 30W amp.
Not even with the doors closed?

Edit: There's a drum set two doors from my room, and with the drummer going nuts - there's a little piece of hall between that room and my room, and playing my bass through my blown up Squier 10W guitar amp does the trick (just tested!).

Sounds awful though :p
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Last edited by bornfidelity at Apr 26, 2008,
For me, 35 watts works fine. I can easily hear myself over the drummer & the 2 guitarists. I don't even need to max out the volume.

This thread makes me feel like I've missed something really important.
Fler Ismaskiner!
Quote by Eklund
For me, 35 watts works fine. I can easily hear myself over the drummer & the 2 guitarists. I don't even need to max out the volume.

This thread makes me feel like I've missed something really important.

Yes. Being able to determine you are actually playing something while standing next to your amp on full volume does not mean anyone else can.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i have a BX-15, and i have used it in a small room rehearsal. the guitar played through a Marshall MG10CD, 10w amp, and the drums were a minimal set. 5 pc, ride, crash, HH. it worked well enough for the drummer to learn our set, for a party we had to play a few days later. but it was far from good sound. a single 8" speaker cannot produce bass frequencies loud enough to be heard effectivly. so the answer to your question is no.
actually you can
at least with laney RB1
but the sound is not the best
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
If the other members die: yes
if they don't- jam at a music shop.
serious.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Not only would be able to be heard over a person talking at a loud-ish volume, but I've found that any amp below 50W usually sounds pretty ****ty.
God Damn It I'm Too Poor For This ****...i Have A Fifteen Watt Sx And 15 Watt Drive, Now If There Was Only A Way I Could Combine The Two To Make One Amp...hmmm
I used to own a Fender Rumble 15w 10" amp, and I found it worked fine for small rehearsals with a guitarist and a drummer. Of course, the drummer was only three days into learning drums, and I had only been playing for 2 months, and we were playing a TERRIBLE cover of Hysteria, but it worked out good. Any sort of gigging will require a large amount of wattage, 100-180 will do fine.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
I used to practice with a 25W Carlsbro, my first amp with the other guitarists on 15W Fenders
and the drummer on a full kit. Needless to say it didnt work out too well so I got a 120W Hartke for £300 which was much better(although the amp was **** for other reasons) and now im on a 480W GK
Liberation Minister of the UK Price War Army. PM Felkara to join

Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
You idiot....you set your hair on fire for a dollar.

Did you buy some intelligence afterwards??
make the drummer practice with brushes and you will probably be okay
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
when i was jamming with one band i had a 400 watt yorkville head.. and a 4x10 cab. i had it cranked ALL the time trying to keep up with these guys..

one dude had a 5150 halfstack, and the other guy had a 5150 combo and the drummer (BAss drum triggers) and singer were going thru a PA. i could hear myself ok.. but i still can't believe i had the thing cranked.. ALL the time.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Yeah i have to use a 1 x 15 and a 4 x 10 hartke set up, with a 300 watt hartke head to be heard over our 2 guitarists and drummer, could probably get away with the 4 x 10, but best to be safe!
Sorry to jump on the thread, but could you possibly link an Ampeg BA115 to a cab or not?
Quote by .Anfield
Sorry to jump on the thread, but could you possibly link an Ampeg BA115 to a cab or not?

You wouldn't get any more power out of it if you did. Why would you want to?

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1